Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA Admissions and Related blogs [#permalink]
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Real estate practitioners and undergraduates connect at women’s event

UNC undergraduate women networked with women working in exciting careers across the real-estate industry at an event hosted by the Triangle chapter of the Urban Land Institute (ULI)’s Women’s Leadership Initiative (WLI) in conjunction with the Leonard W. Wood Center for Real Estate Studies and the Undergraduate Real Estate Club at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School.

The Undergraduate Women’s Engagement Event included small group networking, panels and a presentation about job opportunities and resources available through the Wood Center. Panelists were Lauren Bean, director of finance for The Dilweg Companies (BSBA ‘07, MAC ’13); Erica Leatham, director of land acquisition and entitlements for Lennar; Jennifer Roche, head of real estate partnerships for Google Fiber North Carolina; Caitlin Shelby, director at Wood Partners (MBA ’12); and Amy Watkins, senior director of retail services for CASTO Southeast Realty Services. Caren Howley of the WLI Triangle steering committee led the panel.

Takeaways from the panel were:

• Commercial real estate is a field where women can easily stand out and achieve executive positions early in their careers as long as they demonstrate competence and take initiative.
  • There are diverse opportunities in the real estate industry.
  • There is flexibility within the industry and it is easy to move around and learn new areas.
  • Women can achieve upward mobility in real estate. The panelists have risen through the ranks of their organizations and gained senior positions eight to 12 years after completing their education.
Perhaps the most meaningful discussion was about how it feels to be a woman in a male-dominated industry. Overwhelmingly, they said they had not felt impeded by their gender throughout their careers. Surprisingly, they felt being women is an advantage that sets them apart from the competition. They also contribute fresh perspectives, different ways of learning and diverse life experiences – which organizations have started to recognize.

The speakers addressed the value of belonging to a professional women’s network and how much they enjoy being around smart, capable women. They cited the rewards of industry groups like the ULI and such women’s networks as WLI and Commercial Real Estate Women. Having a support network of like-minded individuals promotes professional development through interactions, diverse experiences and shared opportunities.

Other real estate professionals at the event shared personal and professional insights during the networking time, including Ginger Ackiss, development partner at Crescent Communities (MBA ’03), Melissa Herzog, principal at Blue Heron Asset Management (BSBA ’98) and Christina Coffey (BA ’99).

Rounding out the evening was a panel with students in their final year of undergraduate studies who had just a real estate internship. Members of the Class of 2018 Kayla Aronson, Courtney Lobinsky, Catherine Wellen and Peyton Oldenburg shared insights about their summer internships, the real estate recruiting process, and the supportive real estate concentration at Carolina.

Jim Spaeth, executive director of the Wood Center, shared an overview of the career opportunities available to Carolina undergraduates resources to help them succeed in the professional real estate community. We are fortunate at Kenan-Flagler to have access to such a prestigious commercial real estate program as undergraduate students, and the event served as a reminder that there are plenty of terrific opportunities waiting for Carolina women once we graduate!

By Julia Fronc (BSBA ‘18)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Reflections on a consulting internship from a career switcher

It’s my second year in the full-time MBA Program. Deadlines to accept full-time offers are just around the corner. It’s a great time to reflect as I contemplate the next steps of a career in consulting.

In the past 15 months, my emotional range seesawed from absolute elation to downright agony, and everything in between.

Anyone who has been through the rigors of the consulting curriculum recognizes the high-stakes game of meticulous planning, preparation, and near flawless execution. UNC Kenan-Flagler does an exceptional job preparing us for all the three phases though career associate directors, mentors, alumni interactions and career clubs.

Let me cut to the chase. Like most of my peers, I was a career switcher. My background was in nanoscale physics and I worked in the technology space before business school. I was nervous about moving into strategy consulting so I experienced a momentary sense of relief when I signed an internship offer with Cognizant Consulting in February 2017.

As the summer approached, I felt nervous excitement. I viewed my upcoming summer experience as boot camp. I came into the MBA program looking for a different (and rewarding) career and not a job (I’d had a great job). So my goal was to use the summer to figure out whether consulting was the right career choice for me and to understand what working with clients is like as well as the impact of my work, and acquire a new skill set/knowledge base.

Getting started

The internship started with a bang with a welcome week in Orlando, Florida, where we interacted with peers and senior executives over luncheons. The ease of access to upper management was a recurring theme with Cognizant during the summer internship. After orientation, I flew to the Bay Area, California, because I was aligned with the communications/media/technology vertical within the consulting practice. Unlike most consulting firms, Cognizant places interns at the client site and summers involve no travel. My client was a tech behemoth based in Mountain View.

I spent the first week in extensive interactions with my direct manager and directors to learn, gauge and align my expectations with the overall practice. One of the first conversations revolved around topic du-jour: bitcoin and blockchain technology. As my manager quizzed me, I recognized how little I knew on the topic. While the subject had little to do with my future client work, my manager encouraged me to research the field and present at the plenary brown bag session to senior Cognizant executives. Cognizant highly encourages an entrepreneurial mindset of taking up new projects and pursuing them. I used this as a learning experience and to showcase my work ethic. In a way, this was what consulting was all about – the ability to digest a vast and complex topic.

Learning

I was on the client site and immediately recognized how much the client dictated work culture. For instance, I wore polos and jeans to work (my client was a tech firm) since the idea as an outside consultant was to fit in and not stand out.

I spent the first few days in typical consulting style. I received two projects related to operations and strategic implementation. The scope was undefined and fairly ambiguous. My initial reaction was mild panic as I was unsure where to begin. However, my extensive preparation in the MBA Program through case studies, classwork and group projects came in handy. I prioritized and then strategize the project scope as I became familiar with the technical and quantitative nature of the project material.

The next step was to understand and work with team members at Cognizant and on the client side. Nearly every client meeting was virtual since stakeholders work globally across time zones. I benefited from tapping into the extensive resources available within Cognizant, and a stakeholder mapping of clients identified key players who provided invaluable guidance.

I spent spare time devouring everything related to blockchain technology, including hours spent in rush-hour traffic listening to podcasts. I set up virtual meetings with people at Cognizant working on the topic and reached out to friends at hedge funds and financial institutions who are applying blockchain technology.

When it all comes together

Somewhere in week six of the internship I hit the sweet spot as things started falling in place. On the client side, I hit the right pace in learning to apply knowledge on the go, and set up coffee chats and luncheons with the on-site clients to seek their expertise. I interacted with Cognizant senior leadership to share my ideas and insights, while soliciting feedback that was both active and timely. Cognizant’s HR central did a wonderful job connecting the entire intern class across the country to share experiences and share common resources at various checkpoints throughout the summer.

As the final two weeks rolled around, my excitement tinged with nervousness reached a fever pitch. First stop was my blockchain presentation where I presented a strategic roadmap to Cognizant’s executive management to expand the firm’s footprint in blockchain consulting with applications in cryptocurrencies, financial services and media. For the client side, I presented an automation strategy deployed using a learning management software tool, which increased efficiency by 90 percent. A second project involved developing a time-series forecasting expected to optimize staffing efficiency by 70 percent.

A few days after my internship ended, I realized I’d hit the three milestones I envisioned at the outset. I learned a lot from my talented peers and managers, worked with fantastic clients and could see the impact of my work. I also developed a breadth of knowledge about blockchain technology and its vast potential.

My final thoughts are that consulting is, in essence, a lifestyle that requires extraordinary discipline if you want to enjoy and succeed in it. The lifestyle includes stress from travel, working with challenging clients and projects with steep learning curves.

Treat the lifestyle like an adventure in terms of the variety of work, the opportunity to work alongside talented and diverse peers, and the travel that will take us to new places to explore new industries. Learn to innovate and have fun along the way!

By Gowtam Atthipalli (MBA ’18)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Parents make a difference to the Undergraduate Business Program

Note to parents: your children don’t have to be the only ones who experience all that UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School has to offer.

The UNC Kenan-Flagler Parents Council provides a way for parents to uniquely engage with the UNC Kenan-Flagler community and share their time, expertise and financial contributions with the School.

“We’re changing the culture to include parents,” says Jason Sabow, assistant director of parent and leadership annual giving. “They’re so important and we want them to have great experiences at Carolina while their children are students here.”

UNC Kenan-Flagler inaugurated the Parents Council in 2016 with 25 couples. Now under the leadership of co-presidents John and Charlotte Wickham, it consists of more than 60 couples who engage with the School in a variety of ways.

The UNC Kenan-Flagler Parents Council seeks to welcome more parents as members. Selected members will be able to learn, engage and invest in UNC Kenan-Flagler in unique ways.

They learn by gaining exclusive news and updates from the dean and Undergraduate Business Program leadership. They provide valuable feedback on a wide array of issues, give guidance to students through internship placements and career networking opportunities, and strengthen ties between corporations and the School.

Members also make annual gifts and provide expertise and guidance to UNC Kenan-Flagler to retain its renowned status as an elite business program. Since its inauguration, council members have donated more than $240,000 to the Business School.

“In addition to the important work conducted at UNC Kenan-Flagler Parents Council meetings, we also enjoy interacting with each other and networking,” says Kendall Pace of Austin, Texas. “Every fall and spring, we are invited to campus to engage in programs during which we witness first-hand how our investments and efforts benefit not only our children, but all students, alumni, and faculty at UNC Kenan-Flagler.”

Based on the parent feedback, future plans include regional parent events, increased communication between the School and parents, and investment opportunities.

The next UNC Kenan-Flagler Parents Council meeting is March 23, 2017. Members are invited to the experiential education themed conference where they will hear from School leaders. For more information, please contact Sabow at Jason_Sabow@kenan-flagler.unc.edu.

By Halle Frain (BA ’18)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: The green development of Roosevelt Island

As a native New Yorker, I had the opportunity to watch its vibrant and unique neighborhoods evolve until the time I joined UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School.

When I was a teenager, you simply did not venture to certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx that now contain some of the swankiest, most expensive real estate in the city. In between Brooklyn and the Bronx lies Queens, a borough once full of neighborhoods so ethnically diverse that store signs were typically printed in the native language of the local population.

Today’s landscape is quite different with Queens now encompassing one of the trendiest collections of beer gardens and gastropubs in the five boroughs (although I’m slightly biased). However, of all the neighborhoods I’ve visited or lived in, none have changed more drastically than Roosevelt Island.

Roosevelt Island is located on the East River in between Manhattan and Queens. In the 1920s it was home to hospitals and asylums, and the lack of connective infrastructure kept traffic to and from the island to a minimum. In the 1970s it was redeveloped into a middle-class neighborhood with abundant affordable housing.

Today, after its third transformation, Roosevelt Island houses high rises, community gardens and Cornell Tech Campus, one of the most environmentally friendly and energy efficient campuses in the world. With a development budget of around $2 billion, the 12-acre campus features dorms, offices and classroom buildings. It is one of the most innovative and unique collection of buildings in the city, making it a welcome addition to Roosevelt Island.

Cornell plans to achieve net zero efficiency through the implementation of solar panels, geothermal ground source heat pumps, smart building features such as light and plug load monitoring, and energy-efficient facades. The campus sets not only new standards for Roosevelt Island’s tiny, 2-mile strip of land, but for cities around the world.

As a real estate concentrator in UNC Kenan-Flagler’s full-time MBA Program, I have a deep appreciation for the significant evolution of this neighborhood and innovations in green building which made the campus possible. Here MBA students can take courses in environmentally friendly development and become LEED certified through resources offered by the Leonard W. Wood Center for Real Estate Studies. Taking advantage of these resources has been an integral part of my MBA experience and pursuit of a real estate concentration.

By Areti Moustakis (MBA ’18)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: What it takes to set yourself apart

In the winter of 2017, I joined the Adams Apprenticeship cohort of 30 undergraduate and graduate students to follow my passion in startups. At first I was apprehensive about networking with high net-worth individuals who had proven success and authority. What I quickly realized is I needed to find a way to gain confidence and differentiate myself from numerous high-achieving individuals.

What I learned from this opportunity was to play to my strengths and identify those common denominators that relate me to someone of authority. As a former Division I rower at UNC, I used my experience both on and off the water to formulate a connection.

By playing to my strengths and knowledge, I took the opportunity to introduce myself to Marilou McFarlane, a leading sports tech entrepreneur. She is a founder of Edufii, a respected leader for the SaaS platform SportsBoard, and a mother of two former UNC soccer players. I knew I could use my background as a former rower to set me apart and find a common ground. We made the conversation light and fun, but throughout the introduction I used my knowledge and strengths to show Marilou what I had to offer. By the end of our discussion we had established our similarities and made plans to talk in the future.

Fast forward one year, and I am now an associate working with Marilou for a company called Women in Sports Tech. Women in Sports Tech is the leading organization to bring together companies, their executives, young professionals and students who share a passion for innovative technologies that impact success throughout the business of sport. Marilou thought of this idea during the summer and came directly to me to help get the ball moving. My day-to-day functions range from managing the social media accounts, curating sport content and establishing the website. We talk almost every day and have established a connection that goes way beyond just mentorship. She teaches me practical business management, communication advancements and tech solutions.

What I learned from this relationship is that sharing authentic connections, knowledgeable passion and curiosity is a perfect starting point to set yourself apart. The Adams Apprenticeship has given me the skills and resources in order to establish lifelong relationships and I’m extremely grateful to be a part of such an influential group of people who genuinely want to form that underlying connection.

By Nina Luker (BA ’18), an advertising major in the School of Media and Journalism and an entrepreneurship minor

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Register now: Alumni Weekend 2018

Come back to beautiful Chapel Hill to spend quality time with classmates and faculty and celebrate your Tar Heel pride at UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Alumni Weekend, April 13-15, 2018.

We are celebrating and reuniting all alumni who graduated in the classes of 1958, 1963, 1968, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008, 2013 and 2017.

Alumni Weekend will immediately follow the Leonard W. Wood Center’s Real Estate Conference on April 12, 2018.

Throughout Alumni Weekend you will have the opportunity to:

• Shoot baskets and eat dinner under the 2017 National Championship banner on the floor of the Dean E. Smith Center.
  • Chow down on North Carolina BBQ while enjoying the company of classmates, alumni, faculty and current students.
  • Advance your career with educational programming and one-on-one career coaching sessions (by appointment).
  • Toast the Business School that brought you and your classmates together during our champagne brunch, beer and wine panels and class-specific socials.
  • Meet and listen to Dean Doug Shackelford discuss the future of business education.
  • Leave Carolina filled with Tar Heel pride and knowing you’ve made a difference as an alumnus.
Click here to view the schedule, see who has registered, give to your class campaign, book a hotel and sign up!

Early-bird registration is $125 per person.

For questions about registering, becoming a Class Connector, giving to your class campaign and planning a class-specific event, please contact Carrie Dobbins, assistant director of development for reunions.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Make a difference for students at UNC Kenan-Flagler

There are plenty of good financial reasons to make a philanthropic gift before the end of the calendar year. A booming stock market and uncertainty about how 2018 tax legislation could affect charitable deductions combine to make a persuasive argument for giving by Dec. 31.

But why support UNC Kenan-Flagler with your year-end gift?

The answer lies in the impact that you can have on a student’s life – a student like Zach Spencer (MBA ’18).

As a first-generation college student, Spencer never thought that he would have the opportunity to attend a top graduate school at one of the nation’s most prestigious public universities.

Yet though hard work and determination, Spencer is in his second year at UNC Kenan-Flagler. He has taken full advantage of all the School has to offer.

Spencer has served as a community revitalization fellow in a joint initiative with the UNC School of Government. He is president of the UNC Real Estate Club, and he has been actively competing in case competitions across the U.S.

As he rounds the corner into his final semester at the Business School, Spencer has already accepted an offer to serve as development associate with Greystar.

When he graduates in May, he will join UNC Kenan-Flagler’s long list of student success stories. But as a scholarship recipient, he realizes the role that philanthropic support has played in his academic accomplishments.

“Scholarship support and the Fund for UNC Kenan-Flagler have been instrumental in making a UNC business degree an exceptional learning experience,” says Spencer. “My UNC experience and the experience of many others wouldn’t be the same without it.”

The Fund for UNC Kenan-Flagler is a powerful tool for making a difference for students and faculty at the Business School. But the Fund only exists as long as alumni, parents and friends support it.

When you consider your year-end contributions, please think about the direct impact that you can have on the lives of current and prospective UNC students. Every gift counts and every gift makes a difference. Please support UNC Kenan-Flagler with a year-end donation today.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Art in business

When you think of the business conference world, what usually comes to mind? Suits? Meetings? Money?

What about art? It probably isn’t something that pops into your head.

For the first time a spoken-word poet performed at UNC Kenan-Flagler. CJ Suitt performed two pieces during the opening plenary EPIC Global Leadership Forum.

EPIC stands for experiential, participatory, inspiring and connecting. The forum was designed by the Global Business Center to help students develop intercultural competencies needed to operate successfully in a global business economy.

It was a perfect venue to bring in the arts. The Global Business Center commissioned Suitt to write a poem he titled “Better Together.”

Suitt’s poems are based on his experiences and he shares them to inspire, build connections and act as a bridge for understanding across differences. He talks about topics such as heritage and accepting that people who are not like you are “not crazy.” Suitt relates his approach back to business, saying that business must be personal.

Cultivating cultural understanding and awareness facilitates effective communication with others. Whether someone is from the U.S., Japan, India or elsewhere they have certain values, beliefs and perceptions about the world. When conducting business, you must be aware of a person’s cultural values to be respectful and ultimately successful.

Art provides insights that are crucial to understanding how other people live. By incorporating art into business education and staying open-minded, we can develop greater cross-cultural understanding.

Suitt says it best: “We are better together. Let’s get to work.”

By Shawna McIntosh (BA ’19)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Can emerging technologies help conduct better business globally?

Technology has become a crucial part of our everyday lives and predicting the future impact of new technology on our lives is exciting.

The real question is how can new technologies help us conduct business better?

At UNC Kenan-Flagler’s EPIC Global Leadership Forum, Stephen King introduced four emerging technologies during a session called, “Robots to the Rescue! Developing Global Competence through Emerging Technologies.” King, an assistant professor at the UNC School of Media and Journalism and UNC Kenan-Flagler, talked about virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence or cognitive computing, and robots and drones.

This interactive workshop took a twist from show-and-tell by tasking students with designing ways to leverage these different types of technologies for improving cultural awareness in the business world. The goal of the School’s Global Education Initiative is for all students to learn and excel at a set of defined global competencies.

Can these technologies be used to help reach that goal?

You might be wondering how emerging technology can possibly help people learn cultural nuances to conduct better business. Well, because virtual reality is immersive and can essentially take you to a different place, it could allow people to practice making business deals or having meetings in different global scenarios.

A group of students attending the EPIC interactive workshop came up with the idea that business people could use virtual reality and avatars to practice conducting business with people in other countries.

Through exercises using a virtual reality program, people could learn about different cultural customs and communication practices of other countries. The student group, for example, talked about how it could help Americans conduct business with someone in Japan.

For instance, in Japan business cards are valued and treated with a high level of respect, unlike in the U.S. An American could use the virtual reality program to learn the proper business card presentation etiquette and practice the motions before attempting to conduct business in Japan. Such exercises could help with preparation for important events and assist with preventing detrimental mistakes.

The possibilities of technology are endless and it’s exciting to think about how to use them to educate on cultural competencies crucial for conducting business globally. This EPIC Global Leadership Forum took a crack at design thinking to put those technologies to use.

By Shawna McIntosh (BA ’10)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: SoftLaunch prepares students to launch ventures

Austin Ruhle pitches his venture, Caromation, to judges during the 10-minute venture pitch circuit.

SoftLaunch – part of Launching the Venture offered to Executive MBA students at UNC Kenan-Flagler – is a course and series of workshops that help students gain the knowledge, skills and connections needed to launch a business or social venture.

The six-week program concludes with student teams participating in a round-robin competition in four circuits. Teams receive consultations from coaches in the areas of marketing, strategy, finance and law, and give a 10-minute venture pitch to a panel of judges.

Throughout the course, students developed ventures offering goods and services in various industries, including retail, food/beverage, information technology and health care.

Not all participating teams intend to actually launch their course venture, but team members who plan to do so leverage the assignment to fine-tune their business plans before graduating from the program.

SoftLaunch played a crucial role in the development of LaChaun Banks’ (EMBA ’17) venture – Black Wall Street, a members-only cigar bar and lounge.

“This class forced me to look at hard facts and the market in a way that I didn’t before,” Banks says. “It gave me real, expert advice from business owners as to how I present my message, allowed me to look at securing funding in ways I never thought of and gave me the tools for a successful pitch.”

Angela Tafur receives feedback on her venture, Soga, after pitching to coaches.

More than 40 coaches volunteer at the event, sharing their expertise and recommendations throughout the day.

Kyle Buchanan (EMBA ’17) benefited from the coaches’ feedback about his location awareness platform ShareWave. “They challenged all of the assumptions I had about my venture,” he says. “I came out of the course with a better value proposition, a tighter elevator pitch and the confidence to continue developing my venture.”

ShareWave received the Coaches’ Progress Award for the venture that made notable growth throughout the program. George Adams, Ryan Smith, Glen Harvin and Mark Miller, all EMBA 17, received the Coaches’ Choice Award for Southern Comfort, a light-weight, protective radiation suit.

Taking a look at past graduates of the program, SoftLaunch can be the spark to transform career trajectories. Ryan Stone (EMBA ’04) left his executive path to start a multi-million-dollar business that he created in his SoftLaunch Class.

“My entrepreneurial journey started accidentally. I was in the MBA Program and intended to be climb in my organization, a Fortune 500 energy company,” says Stone. “As part of our launch class Professor Zoller told us to come up with a problem we would like to solve and then figure out how to solve it. Based on what we learned and the coaching we received during the course, we started a company called JetPool.”

The course is taught by Ted Zoller, director of the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies and T.W. Lewis Clinical Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at UNC Kenan-Flagler.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan Flagler Executive MBA Blog: Art in business

When you think of the business conference world, what usually comes to mind? Suits? Meetings? Money?

What about art? It probably isn’t something that pops into your head.

For the first time a spoken-word poet performed at UNC Kenan-Flagler. CJ Suitt performed two pieces during the opening plenary EPIC Global Leadership Forum.

EPIC stands for experiential, participatory, inspiring and connecting. The forum was designed by the Global Business Center to help students develop intercultural competencies needed to operate successfully in a global business economy.

It was a perfect venue to bring in the arts. The Global Business Center commissioned Suitt to write a poem he titled “Better Together.”

Suitt’s poems are based on his experiences and he shares them to inspire, build connections and act as a bridge for understanding across differences. He talks about topics such as heritage and accepting that people who are not like you are “not crazy.” Suitt relates his approach back to business, saying that business must be personal.

Cultivating cultural understanding and awareness facilitates effective communication with others. Whether someone is from the U.S., Japan, India or elsewhere they have certain values, beliefs and perceptions about the world. When conducting business, you must be aware of a person’s cultural values to be respectful and ultimately successful.

Art provides insights that are crucial to understanding how other people live. By incorporating art into business education and staying open-minded, we can develop greater cross-cultural understanding.

Suitt says it best: “We are better together. Let’s get to work.”

By Shawna McIntosh (BA ’19)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Lessons learned at Carolina work for family business

Caroline Lindley (BSBA ’14, MBA ’17) tapped the Family Enterprise Center’s resources and network throughout her undergraduate and MBA experiences at UNC Kenan-Flagler. Now, as vice president of sales and marketing at Lindley Mills, she continues to be involved with the Family Enterprise Center.

Part of her career exploration began during her Undergraduate Business Program studies and involvement with the Family Enterprise Center. She applied valuable lessons she learned in the Family Business courses at Lindley Mills, and had meaningful conversations with her parents about the future of their business.

Lindley capitalized on the many networking opportunities offered by the Family Enterprise Center, often using visiting speakers as sounding boards for her ideas for Lindley Mills. She served as the president of the MBA Family Business Club, which brings together family business students to talk about the opportunities and challenges that arise when family, business and ownership are combined.

During her MBA studies, she identified marketing and sales as a need in the Lindley Mills’ long-term strategy, and interned at The Biltmore Company where she learned from a world-class marketing team and further refined her skills by working with their exceptionally loyal customers.

Women in many family businesses have unique challenges, and Lindley joined the Women in Family Business peer group to meet and learn from successful businesswomen. She continues to participate in the group which includes undergraduates interested in family business.

Read more about Caroline Lindley going back to her roots.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: A newfound confidence during interviews

The upcoming summer is crucial to many juniors hoping to secure corporate internships before their senior year. I‘m feeling the pressure, that’s for sure. The internship application and recruitment processes are extremely daunting. Thousands of qualified applicants are out there, many of whom might appear exactly like you on paper. The make-it-or-break-it moments usually occur during the interviews.

In the UBE online business certificate, the business communication module outlined the best business practices when contacting and communicating with professionals. I’m in the process of searching and interviewing for various summer internship opportunities. While initially applying, I felt more confident filling out applications, creating my cover letters and scheduling interviews. And in the few interviews I have done in recent weeks, my newfound business knowledge gave me the ability to use business jargon in a professional manner.

I am now interviewing at a better level than I ever have before. So far, many of my interviews have been with large corporations and fellowship programs. I’m optimistic because I’ve had the confidence to enter the professional exchange with a familiarity with corporate terminology.

A general overview of business education has proven important to potential employers. Many interviewers have asked me about the UNC Business Essentials certificate. They were visibly impressed when I informed them of the set-up and range of topics covered by the program. I also explained that the UBE program gave me the critical business skills that can be applied in any industry. As an advertising major, I know I’ll continue to put all my new knowledge to good use.

Referencing the UNC Business Essentials program has helped me during multiple interviews so far and ultimately gave me the knowledge needed to stand out (hopefully). I definitely believe the program will be fundamental during my summer internship search in the next few months. I will enter interviews with the extra confidence, knowledge, and skills necessary to succeed.

By Isabella Courtenay-Morris (BA ’19)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: From corporation to non-profit

I originally decided to take the UNC Business Essentials online certification program because it would ultimately help me with my end career goal of becoming a business lawyer. I thought that since I was not a business major in undergrad that it would be helpful if I could somehow obtain some business knowledge some other way. This program seemed like the perfect thing for me.

UNC Business Essentials ended up doing a lot more than I thought it would. Because this program guides it students through many different types of businesses and some unique aspects about each of them, it really helped me narrow down what type of business I would prefer to work with or for.

It really opened my eyes as to what having business knowledge truly meant. For example, when I first started this program I assumed that I would gain business knowledge about corporations where I would eventually end up working one day. Instead, I discovered that business applies to a large range of different enterprises, companies and markets.

Now I am considering working for a non-profit as a lawyer rather than a large company. Before the UNC Business Essentials online certification program, I had no idea that working at a non-profit also required working knowledge of a business. I am ecstatic to have found this out because I would honestly prefer to work for a non-profit. It just suits me more!

If you are considering taking UNC Business Essentials because you think it will help you achieve your career goals or even if you are just thinking about taking it because you think it would look good on a resume, I can assure you that you will gain so much knowledge from this program – you will not be disappointed. It will give you pertinent business knowledge that can help you no matter what you are considering going into and, as I found out, it is useful to have background business knowledge no matter what field or career you are planning to delve into.  You could even end up switching your career goals because of this program like I did!

By Shaylyn Aschenbrenner (‘18)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Dealing with career disruptions

A sense of humor, honoring other women and using creativity in the face of challenges are three keys to success for women in the workplace, according to panelists on the “Dealing with Career Disruptions” session at the 2017 Carolina Women in Business Conference.

Five women convened in front of an audience for this panel, in order to provide future business women with their tips and tricks for dealing with adversity in the workforce.

“Over time, this myth has developed that tells people that they must keep charging in one direction,” says Mary Ellen Gustainis, business manager of formulation additives at BASF. “Over time, you will realize that there are lots of different paths you can take – within your company and work portfolio.”

Although they came from different walks of life and career paths, they experienced some type of change in their career since entering the workforce. Some of their alternative paths were more planned than others, but all of the women agreed that adversities had fostered success in their futures, both personally and professionally.

“Take the challenges and figure out how to creatively integrate them into your career path,” says Kimberly Jeffs, co-owner of NC Center for Resiliency, PLLC. “That is how you will succeed when disruptions happen.”

The panelists agreed that no two disruptions are the same, but that every career change is an opportunity to improve on your past. By encouraging other women to have the strength to experiment with a different field of work, you allow them to progress from the risks that they make.

“You learn just as much from the ideas that don’t work as you learn from those that do,” said Heather Sevin, Americas regional project controller at ExxonMobil. “It’s hard to deal with … it took years of maturity and practice to hear about poor feedback.”

Strength is found when faced with challenges, but resiliency is determined by how well one accepts and moves forward from the disruption. Simple, day-to-day actions can determine the trajectory of a life path.

Jeffs shared a morning routine that helps her be more confident – and it was nothing that the audience expected. Jumping out of her seat on the panel, she showed the audience her “power pose.” She was skeptical the first time she heard of it, but now recognizes an increase in confidence and a larger sense of strength that she has received from repeating the stance every morning. She’s found the mindset so beneficial that her husband and her young daughter join in with her.

“It’s a really great family bonding moment to start off my mornings,” says Jeffs.

Other panelists included Geanine Thompson, associate director at the Emily Krzyzewski Center, and Cathy Combs, director of sustainability at Eastman Chemical Company. Tonya Taylor, principal and executive consultant of the Gift Development Group, moderated the panel.

By Olivia Buffington (BA ’18)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Implementing sustainable ideas in real estate

Real estate developers have a role to play in building sustainable communities.

A team from Newland Communities, the largest private developer of planned residential and urban mixed-use communities in the U.S, shared their experiences at UNC Kenan Flagler’s annual “Careers with Impact Forum,” which was hosted by UNC’s Net Impact Club.

Jody Leidolf, Newland’s director of pre-development, started the discussion with a thought from Yvon Chouinard, founder and owner of Patagonia: “Make the best product, cause no unnecessary harm.”

As simple as Chouinard’s advice might seem, it reflects the goal of real estate developers that emphasize “becoming more sustainable to effectively integrate into the regional context.” In essence, while Newland strives to develop its real estate communities, the company must also prioritize making environmentally conscious choices that benefit the local area.

Panelists from Newland – Leidolf, Lee Bowman (UNC ’96), Tanya Matzen and Susan Reynolds –  shared ways to effectively implement sustainable real estate models that positively affect entire communities.

Align your corporate values
If your company’s values do not align with those of your partner, your project efforts could fail.

For Newland’s partnership with Sekisui, a homebuilding and development company, to work, the two companies needed to collaborate on their values and aspirational goals.

Because Sekisui already had four core values set in stone (environmental, homeowner, economic and social values), Newland created five specific focus areas that would mesh well with Sekisui’s predetermined corporate values. Those focus areas ensured that collaborative projects between the two companies worked toward achieving the same goals.

Incremental value creation through design
“Be research-centric,” Leidolf advises, and willing to reconvene at the drawing board annually after learning of new research findings.

Briar Chapel, a Newland community located outside Chapel Hill, is the “largest green-built community in the Raleigh-Durham area.”

“Briar Chapel is the number one sustainable community in North Carolina,” says Leidolf, “and it’s all due to research.”

Envisioning a real estate community depends on conducting accurate research that shares insights about target audiences. If companies don’t conduct research, they simply won’t know what their consumers want.

Outline your project principles
Everyone knows you should “start at the very beginning,” but people often try to skip over the in-depth planning stage. Outlining long-term goals is critical to meaningful outcomes.

At the onset of the Briar Chapel project, Newland outlined the project’s primary principles: “create and maintain Briar Chapel as a nature sanctuary, celebrate and preserve the history of the site, pioneer and promote authentic innovation, and foster social intelligence.”

“Project managers and marketing teams come and go, but project principles are the things that remain constant so you always have that vision from start to finish in the walk down a project,” says Leidolf.

The team must buy into the vision
Newland’s Wendell Falls project established a new “level of sophistication” in a well-known rural area. Matzen highlighted the project’s inclusion of a sleek café and basic commercial needs, such as gas stations, that fostered an unprecedented level of modernity and urbanization in the rural community.

To effectively create a premium product, each team member needed to be fully committed to reaching common goals, no matter how revolutionary or modern they seemed, Matzen says. Cooperation from everyone on the team was necessary for the project’s implementation and ultimate success.

Details matter
Every aspect of a project carries significance, even details that might seem inconsequential, when it comes to attracting consumers.

When Newland built Briar Chapel, the project plan included purposeful ways to share art in the residential community, Leidolf says. The company incorporated handmade hammocks and swings, birdhouses, and community gardens within the residential space to foster an appreciation for the arts within open gathering spaces.

By perfecting every detail, Newland created a thoughtful and inclusive living community that inspired residents to appreciate art.

By Grace Ketron (BA ’19)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: The 5 biggest myths about U.S. health care

Bill Roper, dean of the School of Medicine, CEO of UNC Health Care and vice chancellor for medical affairs at UNC-Chapel Hill, discussed the five biggest myths in health care at the “Business of Health Care: Adapting to an Aging Economy” conference hosted by the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School.

Myths and realities
Myth: America has the best health care system.

Reality: Although the U.S. ranks as one of the highest nations in the sense of treatment and diagnostics, that doesn’t mean that we are the best health care system. You have to look at all the parts, including coverage and access. America actually ranks 37th in the world in health care according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Myth: Everyone gets the care they need eventually.

Reality: This is false because millions of Americans are left out of the health care system completely. To receive Medicaid you have meet a significant amount of stipulations. Those who don’t qualify but still are unable to pay for insurance with their own money are left with no coverage and no means to pay for their medical bills.

Myth: It doesn’t matter which doctor or health care facility you go to.

Reality: There is a difference in the quality depending on the area you are in, the type of hospital it is, and the schooling the physicians received.

Myth: The cost of health care is not a problem.

Reality: Costs are a huge problem and deterrent for people seeking the medical attention they need. The national government spends over $3 trillion per year on health care, which is crowding out education spending.

Myth: If you like your care the way it is, nothing will change:

Reality: Everything is changing – within the world of health care and outside of it.

More realities
  • Cost: Money really does make the world go around and no matter who you are – patient or provider – you are always looking for lower medical bills.
  • Continued focus on coverage: There needs to be continued conversation and change in government policy and corporate structure to expand the number of people covered by effective insurance.
  • Quality: If we identify quality caregivers and providers, we can send patients to those providers and bring up the level of health across the nation.
  • Consolidation: Doctors and hospitals are choosing to create larger organizations by merging with neighbors. For example, in 2017 UNC Health Care announced a partnership with Carolinas Healthcare System. There have not just been examples of vertical merges, but horizontal ones too, as with the CVS-Aetna deal.
By Emily Brice (BA ’18)

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts