Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:50 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Level,   Weaken,                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1770 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
(D-tweaked) There have been no regional reports in the past week of mountain lions migrating to the area.
Can you compare this to the original, please?

This original is this
(D - original) There have been no regional reports in the past year of lions migrating to the area.

the only difference is week vs year

Using SC -- i think prepositional phrases - "in the past week" and "in the past year" refer to when the reports were drafted and NOT when the migration is actually occuring.

On 2nd thought -- maybe i am wrong about that ...maybe the lions have been migrating only for the last year or the last week respectively.

Not 100 % sure what does the prepositional phrase "in the past week" and "in the past year" modify ..

Irrespective, "in the past week" or "in the past year" === either varation of D weakens IMO

Do they weaken by the same amount, jabhatta2? If not, why not?
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - i can see the focus is on the times mentioned in the grey highlights (in the pic) - few years ago AND last month

But if you read the green higlight -- the conclusion is saying -- Need to be on the lookout NOW (present tense)

Thus i think (D') is better contender for weakener because it referring to a time closer to the present tense.
Attachments

Pci 1.JPG
Pci 1.JPG [ 105.43 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]

Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman - i can see the focus is on the times mentioned in the grey highlights (in the pic) - few years ago AND last month

But if you read the green higlight -- the conclusion is saying -- Need to be on the lookout NOW (present tense)

Thus i think (D') is better contender for weakener because it referring to a time closer to the present tense.

I'm afraid you have it the wrong way around, jabhatta2. The longer the period of time with NO reports, the more impact it has.
Consider these two options, when deciding which region you'd rather live in:
(1) There have been no regional reports in the past two minutes of robberies in the area.
(2) There have been no regional reports in the past two decades of robberies in the area.
Which of those gives you more comfort?
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:

I'm afraid you have it the wrong way around, jabhatta2. The longer the period of time with NO reports, the more impact it has.
Consider these two options, when deciding which region you'd rather live in:
(1) There have been no regional reports in the past two minutes of robberies in the area.
(2) There have been no regional reports in the past two decades of robberies in the area.
Which of those gives you more comfort?

Hi avigutman - (2) is better...

In my analogy and i can see why (C) is better than any of the variations of (D)

thank you for your assistance so much...

Quote:
Real estate agent: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen robbers in the suburban outskirts—the latest just last month—and, while Robbers were thought to have been driven from this entire region about twenty years ago, there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a robber to have deliberately concocted a false report. Therefore, local police should begin to urgently address the robbers’ presence.
(C) No person who claimed to have seen a thief had anyone else with them at the purported sighting.
(D1) There have been no local reports in the past two minutes of robberies in the area.
(D2) There have been no local reports in the past two decades of robberies in the area.
(D3) There have been no local reports in the past year of robberies in the area
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Quote:
Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen a mountain lion in the suburban outskirts—the latest just last month—and, while mountain lions were thought to have been driven from this entire region about twenty years ago, there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a mountain lion to have deliberately concocted a false report. Therefore, local wildlife managers should begin to urgently address the mountain lion's presence.

Which of the following would, if true, most seriously weaken the farmer's argument?

A. Farmers in the suburban outskirts mostly raise cattle and hogs, which when fully grown are generally not attacked by mountain lions.
B. Mountain lions are dissimilar in size and color to other wild animals found near the suburban outskirts.
C. No person who claimed to have seen a mountain lion had anyone else with them at the purported sighting.
D. There have been no regional reports in the past year of mountain lions migrating to the area.
E. Recent surveys show that more than half of the people in the region report that they have never seen a mountain lion before.

Argument:

- Several people claimed to have seen a mountain lion in this region.
- These people have no reason to lie.

Conclusion: Hence, we should start addressing this problem (implying mountain lions are present in this region)

Hi KarishmaB GMATNinja ReedArnoldMPREP

Although i have got this question using POE, i have a v.basic query:
I have learned that, premises in given CR ques are always TRUE, and we should never question the premise, as suggested in the various posters in the below ''Florida Alligator OG ques''

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-1960s ... 39-20.html

But in this ''Mountain Lion'' question, aren't we weakening the premise itself? We are basically saying that those sightings are ''NOT 100% validated''

''Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen a mountain lion''

Please help!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 67722 [1]
Given Kudos: 438
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Quote:
Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen a mountain lion in the suburban outskirts—the latest just last month—and, while mountain lions were thought to have been driven from this entire region about twenty years ago, there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a mountain lion to have deliberately concocted a false report. Therefore, local wildlife managers should begin to urgently address the mountain lion's presence.

Which of the following would, if true, most seriously weaken the farmer's argument?

A. Farmers in the suburban outskirts mostly raise cattle and hogs, which when fully grown are generally not attacked by mountain lions.
B. Mountain lions are dissimilar in size and color to other wild animals found near the suburban outskirts.
C. No person who claimed to have seen a mountain lion had anyone else with them at the purported sighting.
D. There have been no regional reports in the past year of mountain lions migrating to the area.
E. Recent surveys show that more than half of the people in the region report that they have never seen a mountain lion before.

Argument:

Conclusion: Hence, we should start addressing this problem (implying mountain lions are present in this region)

I have learned that, premises in given CR ques are always TRUE, and we should never question the premise, as suggested in the various posters in the below ''Florida Alligator OG ques''

But in this ''Mountain Lion'' question, aren't we weakening the premise itself? We are basically saying that those sightings are ''NOT 100% validated''

''Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen a mountain lion''

Please help!

Notice the wording: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen a mountain lion... (not '...have seen a mountain lion')

(C) No person who claimed to have seen a mountain lion had anyone else with them at the purported sighting. (not 'No person who saw a ...')

The point is that the author himself is asking you to doubt whether the people saw the lion or not.

e.g. If I say, "You claim to have worked 40 hrs last week but..." and if I say, "You worked 40 hrs last week...," only in the second case is this a fact. In the first case, it is just your claim; it may not be a fact. It is a fact that you made this claim. But did you actually do it, I don't know.

Check out this video in which I discuss how this official question is different from the alligator official question because of this wording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55QgRwZmFRo

SignUp - You might find this link useful too.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Quote:

Argument:

Please help!

Hi there. Great question.

First off, the advice to 'not doubt a premise' is *almost* always true. There are a *few* questions where 'doubting a premise' can be helpful. This one falls right on the border!

Notice what the premise says: "many people claim to have seen a mountain lion."

What would it mean to doubt that premise? We doubt that many people have *claimed* that.

That is, "Maybe actually, only a few people has claimed to see a mountain lion, several times?" or "maybe actually only one person, as a prank, is submitting all the claims of mountain lion sightings?"

It would also doubt the premise to say, "Actually, most of those claims were mis-filed, and the claims people made were that they saw a bob-cat."

That is to say, to doubt the premise would be to doubt the amount and quality of the *claims*.

But we're allowed to wonder, "Well, they *claim* to see a mountain lion, but maybe they didn't?"

Notice the difference between:

"Many people claim to have seen a mountain lion"

and

"Many people *have seen* a mountain lion."

In the second situation, we would *not* be allowed to say, "Actually, no they didn't."

Notice that the GMAT has given you a hint: There's no reason to think people have 'deliberately concocted a false report.'

...But what about *accidentally* concocting a false report? Thinking you see a mountain lion, making the claim... but being wrong? That's still allowed to ponder.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Can't wrap my head around option C when the passage tells us that "there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a mountain lion to have deliberately concocted a false report"?

I chose D as it seems to me like the best answer choice.

Any thoughts please?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MishalSen1 wrote:
Can't wrap my head around option C when the passage tells us that "there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a mountain lion to have deliberately concocted a false report"?

Any thoughts please?

(D) has incorrect timeline. We are talking about reports of sightings in the past few years.
D talks about no reports of migrations in the past year. Just talking about past year makes no sense. So we don't even need to evaluate the other aspects of this option.

This video explains why the answer here is (C) and compares this question with another very similar one but with a different answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55QgRwZmFRo
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4797 [0]
Given Kudos: 676
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
MishalSen1 wrote:

Any thoughts please?

Hi MishalSen1,

To address your first point, we can attack any part of the argument, including statements like "there is no reason for the people who reported seeing a mountain lion to have deliberately concocted a false report". That is, the correct option could help us see that there is absolutely some reason or incentive for people to deliberately concoct false reports.

However, keep in mind that in this case the correct option works just as well if those people mistakenly (that is, not deliberately) reported seeing a mountain lion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyMurray

What if option E said - "Recent surveys show that most of the people in the region report that they have never seen a mountain lion before."
In this case would option E be a correct choice.

Another question. Quantifier words usually have acceptable ranges like

all - 100%
Not all - 0-99%
None - 0%
Some - 1-100%

What does most mean in this sense. Is it a number close to a 100% or is "most" similar to "majority" in the sense it could be anything from 51% to 100%.

Also (sorry for the multiple doubts haha), what would be the ranges of words like few, many.

I assume few would possibly be anything less than 50% (we can't really justify using few if it is more than 50%, I believe) and many could be anything from 1% to 100% (so same as some in this regard?)

Thanks!!!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PReciSioN wrote:

What if option E said - "Recent surveys show that most of the people in the region report that they have never seen a mountain lion before."

all - 100%
Not all - 0-99%
None - 0%
Some - 1-100%

What does most mean in this sense. Is it a number close to a 100% or is "most" similar to "majority" in the sense it could be anything from 51% to 100%.

Also (sorry for the multiple doubts haha), what would be the ranges of words like few, many.

I assume few would possibly be anything less than 50% (we can't really justify using few if it is more than 50%, I believe) and many could be anything from 1% to 100% (so same as some in this regard?)

Thanks!!!

'Most' means 'majority'/ 'more than 50%'  so nothing would change in the option. Quanitifiers are often used to depict the intent of the author. 'Few' would mean 'hardly any'. 'A few' woud mean 'some'. 'Many' would mean a substantial number. You don't have to worry about giving a percentage to each of these quantifiers. Understand the intent of the author. 
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
PReciSioN wrote:

all - 100%
Not all - 0-99%
None - 0%
Some - 1-100%

Thanks!!!

'Most' means 'majority'/ 'more than 50%'  so nothing would change in the option. Quanitifiers are often used to depict the intent of the author. 'Few' would mean 'hardly any'. 'A few' woud mean 'some'. 'Many' would mean a substantial number. You don't have to worry about giving a percentage to each of these quantifiers. Understand the intent of the author. 

Understood! But when we have to negate / take the logical opposite (as opposed to taking the polar opposite of these quantifiers), would we do something like this - logical opposite of few = not few ( more than few / a significant number more than hardly any) - logical opposite of a few = (Not a few / none) ?
Thanks!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Darden '26
GPA: 7.84
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen [#permalink]
Query regarding passage understanding:

Is there any significance of 'deliberately concocting' ? eg. an actual false report would be mis-identifying another animal but it is not deliberate or concoction ?

C indicates that since there are no witnesses to ML sighting there is a chance of deliberate concoction of false reports or it could be an actual false report (eg given above)

Shouldn't the correct option just point towards deliberate concoction of false reporting only, why both cases?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4797 [1]
Given Kudos: 676
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
skmaan wrote:
Shouldn't the correct option just point towards deliberate concoction of false reporting only, why both cases?

­Hi skmaan,

We should try not to restrict ourselves to deliberate concoctions of false reports, because the question is quite open-ended. It just asks us to pick an option that would "most seriously weaken the farmer's argument". One way to do that is {false reports}. Another way is {mistaken sightings}.

More importantly, we don't really need to worry about which of the two is happening here. Option C works either way.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2493 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Farmer: Several people in the past few years have claimed to have seen [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PReciSioN wrote:
 be 
But when we have to negate / take the logical opposite (as opposed to taking the polar opposite of these quantifiers), would we do something like this - logical opposite of few = not few ( more than few / a significant number more than hardly any) - logical opposite of a few = (Not a few / none) 

When we negate a statement, we determine what the main point of the statement is and negate that point.

So, since "few are" means "not many are," the negation would be "many are."

How we would negate "a few" is a little tougher to call, but probably the negation is "none.," as you suggested.

So, it appears that you get the idea.

­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:
PReciSioN wrote:
 be 
But when we have to negate / take the logical opposite (as opposed to taking the polar opposite of these quantifiers), would we do something like this - logical opposite of few = not few ( more than few / a significant number more than hardly any) - logical opposite of a few = (Not a few / none) 

When we negate a statement, we determine what the main point of the statement is and negate that point.

So, since "few are" means "not many are," the negation would be "many are."

How we would negate "a few" is a little tougher to call, but probably the negation is "none.," as you suggested.

So, it appears that you get the idea.

­

­Got it! Thanks once again Marty! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts