Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
You guys are funny. 2 points:

2. I am HOT. I started teaching aerobics in the spring, and have turned into a little mass of muscle. What sucks is that some clothes I bought in the early fall don't fit anymore so I had to make a last-minute shopping trip to find some duds for my interviews. And then I bought some other stuff cause I am so damned skinny I couldn't help myself. I am going to do my damnedest to keep teaching once school starts. It's the best way to make sure you actually go to the gym -- you have to.

Um...yeah, we are gonna need some pics, stat!

TTIWWP :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
d@mn... now I am totally regretting not having met up with you when I came down to Ithaca. Stupid 6 hour drive in the snow.... :(

but now that you guys mention it, I did not see a single obese person in the mba building. perhaps they make the doors extra narrow to keep the fatties out...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pics or it didn't happen.

e;f;b
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i have seen several obese (well nearly obese) people in business school buildings. I just feel that most people are relatively young (under 30), so they are less likely to be obese than the general population. It's just like when I was in classes in Engineering. Most people if not all looked normal body weight, but that doesn't mean that Engineering grads are more in shape. It's just that we're all relatively young compared to the rest of the population.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
i have seen several obese (well nearly obese) people in business school buildings. I just feel that most people are relatively young (under 30), so they are less likely to be obese than the general population. It's just like when I was in classes in Engineering. Most people if not all looked normal body weight, but that doesn't mean that Engineering grads are more in shape. It's just that we're all relatively young compared to the rest of the population.

Agreed.

Ironically, the ratio where there are the most fat people is at the gym and not at a fast food joint.

I just came back from the gym and it's packed with the 3-months-later-quit-it crowd.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm telling you guys - it's the poor folks. They're the fat ones. They really are. The educated ones -- not so fat.

(Though I happily concede that younger people are less likely to be fat.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
The educated ones -- not so fat.

what does this mean?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, this is a great post. I am definitely one of those that got a little bit out of shape through this process. I was 185 11% body fat now I am 180 floating around 16%. However, I agree with the educated factor. An education does not necessarily mean more $, however it usually means a better lifestyle. Thus, more time to spend in the gym, eating right and living healthy. As for the hottie aaudetat, I will most certainly now take you up on the offer to meet you in Ithaca! And guys I will do my best to get a pic w/her and post it :lol: . Regardless, it is expensive to eat healthy and all know who hit the gym it is VERY time consuming (8-10 hours a week). So lifestyle is the key factor.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
I'm telling you guys - it's the poor folks. They're the fat ones. They really are. The educated ones -- not so fat.

(Though I happily concede that younger people are less likely to be fat.)

Is this a joke?

This comes across as snobby and ignorant to the MAX.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I absolutely agree with gmatclb... 100%! I find it funny that aaudetat works for a non-profit yet seems to have zero respect for anyone who is not of "the right class."
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Found on the ESRC site:

"Relationships with social variables
There is a growing body of evidence that suggests that the incidence of obesity is affected by a wider set of social variables such as socio-economic class, gender and ethnicity. Perhaps most importantly rates of obesity vary by socio-economic status. In the developed world, levels of obesity are much higher amongst those who are unemployed or are employed in routine work. Figure 2 provides an example from the UK and shows that 30 per cent of women employed in routine work were obese, compared to only 17 per cent of higher managerial and professional employees."

It is an unfortunate truth. however the way it was previously worded by aaudetat, I would say was rather harsh.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have to agree that poor folks are probably generally bigger people. I live in Boston and have a lot of friends that grew up in this area and they think they know what poor people are but have no idea. I grew up moving all around the US and having lived in Kentucky and Texas and Florida, I've seen poverty and I've seen low-income people that eat at Friendly's and McDonalds for literally the majority of their meals....are we really having this discussion? When they say that 40% of the US is obese, or whatever the number is, they're not talking about the people I went to school with or the people I work with (I would guess about 10% of these people are obese), they're talking about people that most of us on this forum rarely see, people who live in trailers, or small towns in Arkansas or Kentucky (which I love, an amazing state).

Does anyone on this forum know people without a college degree? I can't think of anyone I know without one. We're all middle or upper middle or whatever class, we don't see the poor fat masses very often.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i know quite a few educated people that are overweight/fat. Some are even in med school! I also know some who did not graduate college and only have a high school degree. Most of those people are actually of normal weight. Granted, they live in LA and are pursuing acting/singing so looks are of great weight.

And regarding the post about those who were unemployed were more likely to be overweight (or something to that effect), I actually lost weight when I was unemployed (took extra time off when I accepted another job offer) because I had more time to work out and eat healthier (no quick fatty meals). It may be that the passage was regarding those who are chronically unemployed and so may drop into depression leading to feeling useless. etc etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I would assume that when they talk about "unemployed" and "chronically unemployed" they're not talking about an Information Systems Analyst who got a two-month severance package and spends his "unemployment time" skiing in Aspen, and are talking about people who live off food stamps and formerly worked in factories or were truck drivers or something.

I hate being politically correct and putting disclaimers on caveats and everything but I guess I have to say this: Yes, I'm making lots of generalizations here, there are exceptions etc...
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
i know quite a few educated people that are overweight/fat. Some are even in med school! I also know some who did not graduate college and only have a high school degree. Most of those people are actually of normal weight. Granted, they live in LA and are pursuing acting/singing so looks are of great weight.

And regarding the post about those who were unemployed were more likely to be overweight (or something to that effect), I actually lost weight when I was unemployed (took extra time off when I accepted another job offer) because I had more time to work out and eat healthier (no quick fatty meals). It may be that the passage was regarding those who are chronically unemployed and so may drop into depression leading to feeling useless. etc etc.

I do not even think your situation would be considered unemployed. If you do even a limited amount of research you will find that there is a inverse relation to socio-economic status and obesity. Yes, I know people who are poor, uneducated etc... that are normal to great shape. However, out of all the people I know, when comparing their health, I would say that education and employment is a separating factor for most of the overweight people.

No one is downing poor people, in fact I was very poor growing up and my family is a very healthy bunch. It is just a fact in our society that there is a larger amount of over weight poor people than wealthy ones and that educated people generally are in better shape than uneducated people. I think this quote lists the exceptions rather than the norm. This is evident when you say :
jayy178 wrote:
Granted, they live in LA and are pursuing acting/singing so looks are of great weight.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Excellent.

So, it isn't OK to make a class generalisation on peoples being overweight.

But it is fine for everyone to ask for pictures of the girl who says she is in good shape.

Well done fellas. No stereotypes at all around here then.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
The educated ones -- not so fat.

Like it! High Five!