Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
We were all shocked when Ronnie didn't win Mr. Olympia last year. Oh well, second place ain't too shabby for a 44 year old!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Never forget the second ammendment to the US constitution:

Exercise your right to bear arms.

Attachments

filmtftf8.jpg
filmtftf8.jpg [ 17.87 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

Originally posted by GMATT73 on 08 Feb 2007, 21:43.
Last edited by GMATT73 on 08 Feb 2007, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
bare arms?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
squali83 wrote:
kidderek wrote:
Next on A Current Affair . . . When silly topics get serious . . .

Anyway, how many pullups/chinups can you guys do? I'm at 10 chinups, not too shabby.

I dont know but I can bench 9 million lbs. :lol:

After 15+ years of training, I tried to bench three plates last summer and ended up ripping my right side pectoralis major fibers clean off the chest cavity. It was so painful that I had to ice it then and there to keep the swelling down. The injury took almost a month to heal and I can still feel the pain whenever I go over two plates.

Take it from a guy who has been there (several times), stick with low-medium weight and focus on form.

As for b-school students being fat, here's my take:

Are we talking about a little chubby; 30~50 pounds overweight? Or are we referring to the triple chinned, Sumo wrestler, gotta buy two seats in economy class, so big that they break chairs and live on Bobs Big Boy buffet types?

If it's the former, then based on empirical observations, I'd say about 1/3. The other two thirds are obviously aware that being lean and strong DOES have a positive impact on their self-esteem and therefore probably make a concious effort to strive to improve their physical appearance in order to reach some of their personal/professional goals.

Let's not forget the student body demographics. About 1/3~1/2 of most graduate students are of asian/indian backgrounds, ethnic groups that biologically tend to be less prone to obesity.

Now referring to the latter, I have never once seen a Pillsbury dough boy on any campus tour. It's just a simple fact that most 400+ pound people have too many health related issues to be able to keep up with an active b-school life; particating in clubs, interviewing, networking... It takes both mental and physical strength to cross the MBA finish line, attributes that an obese person would most likely find overbearing, if not over-intimidating.

Just for the record, we all have a little fat on our bodies, the percentage of which tends to fluctuate throughout the year. Even olympians have 4~6% body fat. It's when the figure reaches 30%+ that one needs to really consider his lifestyle and long term health ramifications.

3 plates= 315lbs.? If that is so, I have never reached that level. 305 is my max and that was about a year ago. I have since started training a lot higher reps and less weights. However, I do have to say I regret never quite getting those three plates on each side. My training partner however maxed out at 375 and ripped some tendons in his elbow...thus, the reasoning for me to switch workout routines. Extremely heavy weights are not good for you body in the long run, although it is easy to get caught up in the "max" wars with a friend.

As for the pillsbury dough boy, what do you see when he bends over?....Dough nuts. Back to my point, sorry I couldnt resist, most if not all B-schools require an interview before an admit. I doubt that if a dough boy walks into an interview room that they would gain an admit. After all, sex sells and I can tell you I would conduct business with a slightly less intelligent, in shape person, than a brilliant obese one. I just believe the fit person has a better work ethic and self control.

***Disclaimer** The last comment was not meant to offend or imply any stereotypes and is the sole opinion with the poster. It does not express the values or ideas of the GMATCLUB. ***
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bad gym joke:

Do you need a needle and thread?

Why?

Cause you are so ripped.

Do you need a bandaid?

Why?

Cause you are so cut.
CEO
CEO