GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2019
Posts: 3
[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 05:01
London Business School is asking me to pay full programme fees because I have withdrawn my offer within four weeks of the programme starts. However, there has not been any notification from the School before the four weeks' deadline. Only three working days after the deadline, the School phoned (on social media) asking me to confirm my attendance. On the phone they said if I decline my offer now, they can still give the offer to other applicants. But after I said I will not come, the School is now trying to pursue the full amount of tuition fees from me, and if I do not pay, they will take legal actions.

I was asked to sign a contract which stated that I will remain liable to the full programme fees if I withdraw within four weeks, when I first received the offer from LBS. I must sign the contract to hold my place at that time.

They allow me to terminate the contract but still asking me to pay the full fees which is 32500 pounds.

Has anyone met similar problems before? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 18 Feb 2019
Posts: 572
Location: India
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 11:35
Karwayi wrote:
London Business School is asking me to pay full programme fees because I have withdrawn my offer within four weeks of the programme starts. However, there has not been any notification from the School before the four weeks' deadline. Only three working days after the deadline, the School phoned (on social media) asking me to confirm my attendance. On the phone they said if I decline my offer now, they can still give the offer to other applicants. But after I said I will not come, the School is now trying to pursue the full amount of tuition fees from me, and if I do not pay, they will take legal actions.

I was asked to sign a contract which stated that I will remain liable to the full programme fees if I withdraw within four weeks, when I first received the offer from LBS. I must sign the contract to hold my place at that time.

They allow me to terminate the contract but still asking me to pay the full fees which is 32500 pounds.

Has anyone met similar problems before? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi, is there any specific reason you to decline LBS offer? It is better to approach a legal adviser on this issue.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2322
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 12:37
Karwayi this message is not very clear; not sure if you are saying there was no written offer? Why do you feel you have a case? Recommend you post this in Ask Admissio Consultants to get more visibility.

Karwayi wrote:
London Business School is asking me to pay full programme fees because I have withdrawn my offer within four weeks of the programme starts. However, there has not been any notification from the School before the four weeks' deadline. Only three working days after the deadline, the School phoned (on social media) asking me to confirm my attendance. On the phone they said if I decline my offer now, they can still give the offer to other applicants. But after I said I will not come, the School is now trying to pursue the full amount of tuition fees from me, and if I do not pay, they will take legal actions.

I was asked to sign a contract which stated that I will remain liable to the full programme fees if I withdraw within four weeks, when I first received the offer from LBS. I must sign the contract to hold my place at that time.

They allow me to terminate the contract but still asking me to pay the full fees which is 32500 pounds.

Has anyone met similar problems before? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18095
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 12:42
2
This has not happened before.... but I have not seen anyone withdrawing that late in the game. If you signed a contract that you will be liable for the fees if you withdraw within 4 weeks and you signed it and then withdraw within that window, then that's your answer - you are on the hook. If you have not signed it, then you are not on the hook. I don't know how they could collect it if you are not in the UK but you probably don't want to be blacklisted in the UK for any reason either.

If you waited so long to withdraw to attend another MBA program, it is a bad thing since you have prevented someone else from attending and fulfilling their dreams. 4 weeks is hardly enough time to get matters in order, quit one's job, get a visa, tickets, rent housing, and get in time for the orientation. Even a person in the UK would have a hard time. However, if it is a legitimate reason, perhaps you can request deferral or leniency and explain your situation.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 1020
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Aug 2019, 20:39
Karwayi wrote:
London Business School is asking me to pay full programme fees because I have withdrawn my offer within four weeks of the programme starts. However, there has not been any notification from the School before the four weeks' deadline. Only three working days after the deadline, the School phoned (on social media) asking me to confirm my attendance.

On the phone they said if I decline my offer now, they can still give the offer to other applicants. But after I said I will not come, the School is now trying to pursue the full amount of tuition fees from me, and if I do not pay, they will take legal actions

.

I was asked to sign a contract which stated that I will remain liable to the full programme fees if I withdraw within four weeks, when I first received the offer from LBS. I must sign the contract to hold my place at that time.

They allow me to terminate the contract but still asking me to pay the full fees which is 32500 pounds.

Has anyone met similar problems before? Any suggestions are much appreciated.



Something doesn't add up to your story.

If they told you that you can exit the contract without obligation via phone as you stated then why were you subsequently charged? Did you linger on a few days between the offer they made and speaking with that person such that your deadline lapsed?

I don't know why you waited a whole year or thereabouts to decline. Unless something dramatic came up, then I don't know why you decided to pull-out on such short notice, so please tell us more.

Don't sign anything before reading it. You said yourself you were aware of your own obligations if you didn't withdraw. LBS is obviously foregoing some revenue on this, hence why they build in the types of clauses you referenced.
_________________
Goal: Q49, V41

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!

Originally posted by dcummins on 23 Aug 2019, 19:55.
Last edited by dcummins on 23 Aug 2019, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18095
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 20:34
It could totally be that the OP had something come up and had a legitimate reason to withdraw (eg promotion at work, family health change, marriage proposal or just change of heat about MBA). Lots of things change in a span of a year or half a year. I would not assume they necessarily had a malicious intent. That is why I said “IF”.... not sure it was noticed.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 1020
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 20:39
bb yes. good point.
_________________
Goal: Q49, V41

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2019
Posts: 3
[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 08:18
bb wrote:
It could totally be that the OP had something come up and had a legitimate reason to withdraw (eg promotion at work, family health change, marriage proposal or just change of heat about MBA). Lots of things change in a span of a year or half a year. I would not assume they necessarily had a malicious intent. That is why I said “IF”.... not sure it was noticed.

Posted from my mobile device


Thank you very much for your reply.

In April, I have sent them an email saying that due to some unexpected family financial difficulty, I request to defer my entry to the next year. In June they replied saying that they cannot grant my referral. If I would like to enter next year, I need to reapply.

Therefore I was thinking about reapplication. And no communications have been made from LBS to confirm my attendance or remind me the deadline during this time.

However, three weeks before the programme start, I received the call to confirm my attendance, and they asked me to send an email to admission office because I will not come. I send this email immediately after the call. Two weeks later, I received the email asking me to pay the full programme fees.

Last week I reminded the School that I have told them that I cannot attend this year in April. They believe that my deferral request was not granted so I still hold a place in this year’s entry. But they did not specify this when they replied my request in June.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2019
Posts: 3
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 08:42
This is a 9-month Master in Management programme not an MBA. I have only graduated from my undergraduate uni this year.

I have been in touch with the admissions office to discuss my issue, but they replied saying their senior manager will discuss with me. I was trying to make an appointment with the senior manager, but she only emailed me that I will be passed on to the Accounts team who will send me the invoice for the tuition fees. Then I mentioned that I have financial difficulty due some health problems, they said that I can sign a formal payment plan with the debt recovery agency. This can be such a big liability for me honestly...

I am not in the UK, but I don’t really want to be blacklisted by UK anyway.

I have also found two another applicants in the same situation as I do. One simply withdraw within four weeks. The other told the School on 7/30 but the School said the deadline of informing them is 7/29. The programme starts at 8/27.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18095
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 10:09
I am not sure. I think the best option is to convince the school to drop the claim in a friendly way, resolving it without collections and other options.

I would consult with an attorney familiar with international payments and collections rap in the U.K. I am not sure if blacklist even exists or if they can identify you. I made the black list up in my mind but it may be a thing....

Sorry, seems like you will have your hands full.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
LBS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 634
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 09:39
1
I am sorry that I cannot lift your mood but I agree with BB.

Unless you get LBS to drop their claims by explaining your story, I think you´ll be on the hook for the full tuition.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2019, 09:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

[LBS] Fee liability for offer holders who has withdrawn

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Arro44






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne