GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1447
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jul 2018, 03:51
8
31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

69% (02:53) correct 31% (01:53) wrong based on 1928 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five.

(B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

(C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

(D) Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

Originally posted by tarek99 on 01 Oct 2008, 17:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 09 Jul 2018, 03:51, edited 5 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 17
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2011, 11:15
7
1
miaojunmaggie wrote:
Can anyone explain it? I kind of get lost when reading the question. Complex...
why E is right? I chose C instead.


Let's assume
1. A total of 100 merchandise orders were placed last year by the subscribers in response to the advertisement.
2. A total of 200 merchandise orders were received by Systems in response to the advertisement (place by non-subscribers, or in the survey's terminology - people)

Therefore, total non-subscriber (people) orders = 100

It follows from #1 that
Subscribers under 35 years old = 30 orders
Subscribers equal-to/more than 35 years old = 70 orders

Since, From stimulus: Most of the merchandise orders
placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five
,

Subscribers + Non-subscribers (people) less than 35 years old = 101 and above

Hence, the OA is "E"
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 135
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 22:32
1
1
Answer is E.

Orders placed = subscriber + non subscriber
If say 100 subscribers placed order & 30 of them were below thirty five.
If nonsub, who placed order, were 1000 & out of them 900 were below thirty five.
Now the total orders placed = 1100 & out of them 930 are from people below thirty five.

This makes both the statement stand true.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 587
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2008, 00:17
3
IMO E.

Stmt1: 30% order placed by Subscriber and less than 35 age people
Stmt2: Most of the order came from 'less than 35 age people'
Conclusion: Most is not all; however, if 500 people below 35 placed their order, only 150 people are subscriber and rest 350 people are NOT subscriber.
Hence, E is correct.

A: No info on present statistics
B: No info on present statistics
C: Opposite statement: Order actually placed by less than 35 age people mostly
D: Can't predict average $ amount
E: IMO
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2010, 08:24
3
Yes, this is definitely E. The two surveys discuss different groups of people. The first is a survey of *subscribers* to the magazine. The second discusses *all* people who bought merchandise in response to magazine ads. Both claims can be true if a lot of under-35 non-subscribers bought merchandise, which is what E says.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 854
Location: Singapore
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2010, 21:34
3
Hit and Run case ! The argument hits on one group and then starts talking about another group. The catch is 70% of merchandise orders can be placed by any of the 2 groups - over 35 yrs and exactly 35 yrs

30% of merchandise orders come from source X (subscribers)
70% of merchandise orders will come from different source. And composition of this group is unknown.

A cannot be necessarily true.
B cannot be inferred.
C makes a wrong assumption that over 35 yr group has placed more merchandise orders. What if the 35 yr group has placed most orders?
D is out of scope since we don't know the order value in different groups
E Answer
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2010, 10:11
2
TehJay wrote:
I said (C). I don't understand how it can be (E) - you don't really have the information to determine how many non-subscribers placed orders, which is what (E) is talking about. For example, what if 100 subscribers placed orders, and 30 of them were under age 35, while only 5 non-subscribers placed orders, and 4 of them were under age 35? Then both findings are still correct, but (E) is false (unless we're going on some very arbitrary definition of "many").


No, you may have misinterpreted one of the two findings. The second finding says that most orders were placed by people under 35; that includes orders from both subscribers and non-subscribers. I think you are interpreting that finding to be about orders from non-subscribers only, but it's not. So in your hypothetical example, you have 105 orders in total, but still, only 34 orders come from people under the age of thirty-five. That isn't consistent with the second finding in the stem which tells us that most orders come from under-thirty-fives, so is not a possible scenario.

TehJay wrote:
(C) fits both findings the best. 70% of subscribers who placed orders were age 35 or over, a big majority. The only way to make (C) not true is if the number of non-subscribers who placed orders is larger than the number of subscribers who placed orders - and even then, you can't really determine whether or not the 30% of subscribers under 35 + the "most" of non-subscribers under 35 outnumber the 70% of subscribers + the remaining non-subscribers.


It's actually mathematically impossible for C to be true. Say you have S subscribers and N non-subscribers who placed orders. We know that 0.7S orders came from subscribers over thirty-five. Say you have X orders in total from non-subscribers over 35. We know from the second finding that less than half of all orders come from people over thirty-five, so:

(0.7S + X)/(N+S) < 1/2

But the proportion of all orders coming from subscribers over thirty-five is 0.7S/(N+S), and this is clearly less than the left side of the inequality above, so must be less than one half. So it's impossible for 'most' orders to have come from subscribers over thirty-five, and C cannot be true.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 90
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 03:01
1
i think E correct because E can be translated to the assumption that many people under the age of 35 who read the advertisement on the magazine decided to order merchandise but many of them did not buy magazine. They could read by chance.
C is counter fact.
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: MBAing!!!!
Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 255
Location: United States (FL)
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2011, 15:27
1
2
I picked E...by POE it's very hard to understand the argument....I like gummybear explanation

Premise 1: Subscribers...... 35 years old or younger...... accounted for 30% of the orders
Premise 2: 35 years old or younger..... accounted for most of the orders
Therefore many orders were placed by non subscribers.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 879
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 10:00
6
Let's say that we have 100 people participating in the survey.

There are Subscribers and Non subscribers, and then there are people >35 or <35

Subscribers say that 30 were subscribers and <35
Advertisers say that most of the orders (more than 50) were placed by people <35

The above two statements mean that at least 21 (51-30) people were non-subscribers who placed the orders.
And, we do not get any information on people equal to or more than the age 35 other than <49 people ordered from this group.

(A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five. We have no information on split of group equal to or>35.

(B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now. We have no information an the data of people then and now.

(C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five. No. this is exact opposite to the information we have.

(D) Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over. We don't know the dollar value.

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine. Correct choice.
_________________

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V19
GPA: 3.45
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 05:04
1
It was very difficult to operate these statements in my head. So I used a diagram for overlapping sets.

I used 100 people who placed order as total (convenient for % problems)
I plugged in 99 people as people under age 35 who ordered merchandise (includes both subscribers and non-subscribers). Why 99? 99 can absolutely refer to most of people who placed order.

When I looked over the answers, I checked with my table:
(A) In my table there are only people who placed order. We don't know anything about subscribers who did not place order. Irrelevant
(B) We only regard the information from last year. What is happening "now" doesn't matter. Irrelevant
(C) Only 30% of subscribers under age 35 placed order last year. But the statement states "most". 30% is way to low for being "most". So untrue
(D) Wait a minute. The statement talks about dollar amount. We are only given information about number of people. Irrelevant
(E) In the table we see that at least 69 comprises the number of people who placed order. 69 absolutely qualifies to refer to "many" non-subscribers. True

It is a very time consuming question. If I get this question on the Test I probably would random guess.

Consider giving some kudos. I have only 0 kudos from the users. Appreciate it.
Attachments

table.jpg
table.jpg [ 63.39 KiB | Viewed 7259 times ]


_________________

Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 196
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2016, 12:55
Here is my contribution.

It is an overlapping set problem.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

IMG_20161211_175331.037.png
IMG_20161211_175331.037.png [ 259.72 KiB | Viewed 5288 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 89
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 02:44
Hi GMATNinja chetan2u

Can you please help in explaining Why E is the correct choice here?

Thanks!

tarek99 wrote:
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five,

(B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

(C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

(D) Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.

_________________

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6520
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 06:07
gmat1393 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja chetan2u

Can you please help in explaining Why E is the correct choice here?

Thanks!

tarek99 wrote:
Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent of all merchandise orders placed by subscribers in response to advertisements in the magazine last year were placed by subscribers under age thirty-five.

Finding of a survey of advertisers in Systems magazine: Most of the merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by people under age thirty-five.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

(A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five,

(B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now.

(C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five.

(D) Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over.

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine.



Hi....

In both the research , the mer handige order is the same, sa 100 orders.
Now survey of subscribers yo that magazine sat that 30% were purchased by people<35 yrs of age. So 30 orders by them.
Second svy talks of total orders and does not restrict to the subscribers and says moat so atleast 50 orders were placed by people <35 yrs of age.

So in two svy, the pool of people purchasing items has changed. - one limits to subscribers and other overall.

Now this gap (of same age group making orders ) of >50 and 30 means are NOT subscribers

And E says the sane
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 398
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 01:44
Divyadisha wrote:
Let's say that we have 100 people participating in the survey.

There are Subscribers and Non subscribers, and then there are people >35 or <35

Subscribers say that 30 were subscribers and <35
Advertisers say that most of the orders (more than 50) were placed by people <35

The above two statements mean that at least 21 (51-30) people were non-subscribers who placed the orders.
And, we do not get any information on people equal to or more than the age 35 other than <49 people ordered from this group.

(A) More subscribers to Systems who have never ordered merchandise in response to advertisements in the magazine are age thirty-five or over than are under age thirty-five. We have no information on split of group equal to or>35.

(B) Among subscribers to Systems, the proportion who are under age thirty-five was considerably lower last year than it is now. We have no information an the data of people then and now.

(C) Most merchandise orders placed in response to advertisements in Systems last year were placed by Systems subscribers over age thirty-five. No. this is exact opposite to the information we have.

(D) Last year, the average dollar amount of merchandise orders placed was less for subscribers under age thirty-five than for those age thirty-five or over. We don't know the dollar value.

(E) Last year many people who placed orders for merchandise in response to advertisements in Systems were not subscribers to the magazine. Correct choice.



great explanation
yes, picking the number is the best way to do this kind of questions.
Re: Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jul 2018, 01:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Finding of a survey of Systems magazine subscribers: Thirty percent

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.