Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 19:55 It is currently 13 May 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be fou [#permalink]
please help me with this question
people are choosing C as answer, but in C it is giving another reason that decreases the number of television.
Author is saying
average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.
Why he think so because televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consume because of new technology.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4555 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be fou [#permalink]
mbaprep2016 wrote:
please help me with this question
people are choosing C as answer, but in C it is giving another reason that decreases the number of television.
Author is saying
average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.
Why he think so because televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consume because of new technology.

Current scenario: Number of televisions per household > Number of residents per household
Conclusion: Number of residents per household will be greater than number of televisions per household

The conclusion can be strengthened by stating that the number of televisions per household is not going to rise.

C) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment. - So televisions are not a primary source of entertainment now and we can expect its sales to be lower while those of new devices to be higher. Hence the number of residents per household will be greater than the number of televisions per household.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

(A) House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

(B) More than one million legal immigrants enter the United States each year.

(C) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

(D) As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

(E) As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

i don't agree with the OA or OE! (forces us to make additional assumption)
please explain your answers, thanks :)

Imo C

A well this might be proper way to enjoy house parties but it certainly does not supports out argument . The house where parties are held can have more than one TV . So this A is out of scope.

B Well this is a tough choice .On the surface this might seem to be the most obvious choice as there are more people are coming to US every year so there would be less TV .But think for a moment as this can actually be false as the people who are coming to US may wealthy so they can buy more than one TV . So leave this choice .

C Correct if video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players have become primary source of entertainment then there would be less TV per household .

D This choice actually weakens the argument ; It basically says that there will be more no TV per household as TV becomes more affordable .

E This is out of scope . IT does not talk about whether new TV would become affordable or more expensive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Hi experts,
I chose A, but I have no idea where is my thinking bug.
here is my reasoning.
house parties at which individuals GATHER to view popular television shows on ONE TELEVISION SET have increased three hundred percent during the past year.
this implies that more and more people enjoy gathering to view at ONE TELEVISION SET, because they enjoy, so they don't need to buy television. this is a choice to support the argument.

Please help

thanks in advance
have a nice day
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I am not sure if C can be the right answer.If the population doesn't change even if other devices are being bought as a primary source of info. still the original number of television will remain the same w.r.t residents.

Idea is to show that for an average house hold -->No of television will go down w.r.t the residents.
If we consider B-->More people will migrated increasing the residents and since the televisions are expensive -->chances of buying one are less.hence average will change.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Currently average number of residents are less than number of tv at home.
TV is becoming expensive.
Hence average no of residents would be MORE than number of TV at home.

Now lets look at the choices-

Quote:
(A) House parties at which numerous individuals gather to view popular television shows on one television set have increased three hundred percent during the past year.

House parties have increased. Not directly related to the number of residents or number of TV.

Quote:

Not relevant.

Quote:
(C) New devices such as video-enabled personal digital assistants and music players are increasingly purchased for use as a primary source of information and entertainment.

This is stating a reason not to have a TV (as it is becoming primary source of entertainment, what TV was before)

Quote:
(D) As new technologies become more commonplace, manufacturing and retail costs normally decline.

If anything this says number of TV must stay more than number of residents.

Quote:
(E) As a result of technological advances, new televisions are increasingly enabled with some features, such as Internet browsing, traditionally associated with other household devices.

New TVs have no connection to the question.
Quote:
For the first time in history, more televisions than people can be found in American households. According to recent research, the average household has 2.55 residents and contains 2.73 televisions. However, by employing such costly manufacturing processes as plasma technology and flat screens, televisions are becoming too expensive for the typical consumer. As a result, the average number of residents per household will again surpass the number of televisions.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the argument above?

Hello,
Experts,
May I have your attention on the following query?

q1:
who will confirm that ''video enabled personal assistant are LESS expensive than plasma TV in C?
q2:
The author never says that "tv has been used as entertainment and information". Tv COULD be used for OTHER reason! So, it seems that there is NO consistency with the argument and the answer choice!
Or, Am I missing anything?
Thanks__
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts