GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 07:18

Fuqua EA Calls Expected Soon:

Join us in the chat | track the decision tracker | See forum posts/summary

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jan 2014, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

68% (02:33) correct 32% (02:48) wrong based on 229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product of the extreme terms and that of the middle terms are in the ratio 5:6. Find the largest term?

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

Originally posted by jadixit on 05 Jan 2014, 03:32.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Jan 2014, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Arithmetic progression  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2014, 03:45
jadixit wrote:
Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product of the extreme terms and that of the middle terms are in the ratio 5:6. Find the largest term?

A 8
B 9
C 10
D 11
E 12

lets take the terms as (a-3d), (a-d), (a+d), (a+3d).
as sum = 28, so a = 7

Lets check the option and we can see 7+3d can be equal to 10. lets test that scenario.

So the numbers can be 4,6,8,10. product of extreme terms/product of middle terms = 40/48 = 5/6 So Option C)

We can use this technique to solve GMAT problems as none of the above or cannot be determined is yet to be an option in GMAT.

For the Maths purists :

(a-3d) * (a+3d) /(a-d) * (a+d) = 5/6 => 6(a^2 - 9d^2) = 5(a^2 - d^2) => a^2 = 49d^2 as a = 7 then d has to be 1. hence option c)

As we don't get marks for steps I prefer the approach 1.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 08:34
kinjiGC wrote:
jadixit wrote:

A 8
B 9
C 10
D 11
E 12

as sum = 28, so a = 7

Lets check the option and we can see 7+3d can be equal to 10. lets test that scenario.

So the numbers can be 4,6,8,10. product of extreme terms/product of middle terms = 40/48 = 5/6 So Option C)

We can use this technique to solve GMAT problems as none of the above or cannot be determined is yet to be an option in GMAT.

For the Maths purists :

(a-3d) * (a+3d) /(a-d) * (a+d) = 5/6 => 6(a^2 - 9d^2) = 5(a^2 - d^2) => a^2 = 49d^2 as a = 7 then d has to be 1. hence option c)

Question : how did you know 7 + 3d can be equal to 10?

How did you get #'s 4,6, 8, 10?
Director
Director
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:04
sagnik242 wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
jadixit wrote:

A 8
B 9
C 10
D 11
E 12

as sum = 28, so a = 7

For the Maths purists :

Question : how did you know 7 + 3d can be equal to 10?

How did you get #'s 4,6, 8, 10?

When using the options , start with option C). Normally the options will be ordered :-D (How I know it, I also develop question items )
if option C) doesn't satisfy the equation, at least you can have a range of numbers which might satisfy and you can eliminate the options easily.

Coming to the question:
if 7+3d = 10, so we can calculate the value of d= 1 and we can calculate the other three numbers.
as 1st term is a-3d, so putting a =7 and d =1, we can get 4 and so on.

Any doubts, please revert.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 15:59
Why did you set up the equations (a-3d), (a-d), ect
Director
Director
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2014, 01:15
bankerboy30 wrote:
Why did you set up the equations (a-3d), (a-d), ect

That is simply as assumption. It reduces the calculation time and complexity.

If we have three terms in AP, we can assume
a-d, a, a+d

If we have four terms in AP, we can assume
a-3d, a-d, a+d, a+3d

if we have 5 terms in AP, we can assume
a-2d, a-d, a, a+d, a+2d

So if as we add the terms, the terms cancel each other and we can have some advantage in calculation.

Thanks,
Kinjal

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 02:16
jadixit wrote:

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

Using brute force can be quite helpful.

Sum of 28 means that essentially all 4 numbers are equal to 7 each. Since the product of 1st and 4th is different from the product of 2nd and 3rd terms, the common difference must be more than 0.
So the numbers could be 4, 6, 8, 10 (with 7 as the mean) when the common difference is more than 0 but least possible (assuming integers)
Product of 1st and 4th = 40
Product of 2nd and 3rd = 48
Ratio = 5:6 (what we wanted)
So the largest term is 10.

Answer (C)

Had we not obtained the required ratio, we would have increased the common difference and taken the terms as 1, 5, 9, 11 and then checked. This would have given us a pattern to tell us whether the ratio is increasing or decreasing.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2017, 20:03
jadixit wrote:

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

try 2,3,4,5: product ratio=5/6, but sum=14
note: 14 is half of required sum, 28
double terms: 4,6,8,10 sums to 28; product ratio=5/6
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 23:16
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 23:16

Four terms in arithmetic progression have sum of 28. Product

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap