Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 15:39 It is currently 02 May 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Fulltime Unpaid Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MBAApplicant07 wrote:
Hi Everyone

I am 27 year old Indian applicant with 5.5 YOE. After completing 4 years at a management consulting firm, I took the opportunity of a 1-year full time UNPAID freelance consulting opportunity and then resumed working in the corporate world with another consulting firm post that . Will there be an issue with including this work experience in the US/EU B school applications? Can I enter zero as my salary in the employment information section of the application? I have all other necessary work experience documents from my clients. Kindly help

Hey MBAApplicant07,

Your profile presents a unique and interesting journey that can be effectively leveraged in your applications to US/EU business schools. Your 5.5 years of experience, particularly in management consulting, is highly valuable. The transition to a one-year full-time unpaid freelance consulting opportunity, despite being unconventional, showcases your willingness to pursue diverse and challenging experiences. This can be perceived positively as it reflects adaptability, a drive for professional growth, and a commitment to your field.

Regarding including this experience in your applications, you should definitely do so. Business schools appreciate diverse professional backgrounds, and your freelance consulting role adds depth to your profile. It demonstrates your ability to work independently, manage client relationships, and perhaps even your commitment to certain causes or sectors, depending on the nature of your freelance work.

As for the salary question, it is perfectly acceptable to enter zero in the salary field for this period. You can use the essay or interview components of the application to explain the nature of this role and emphasize the skills and experiences you gained during this period, which are not necessarily reflected in monetary terms.

Your profile has strong elements that can appeal to admission committees, especially with your solid experience in consulting. When applying, focus on articulating the skills and insights gained during your freelance period and how they complement your overall professional journey.

Additionally, tailor your application to highlight how your experiences align with the ethos and curriculum of the schools you are applying to. Your ability to present your unpaid role as a strategic and enriching experience will be key to strengthening your application.

For more personalized advice or application assistance, feel free to reach out on dm or schedule a strategy session for a more tailored approach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Fulltime Unpaid Experience [#permalink]
Thank you so much for the replies and the valuable insights. Very grateful! I am an Indian Male Engineer and my current GMAT score is 690. I am thinking of applying in R2 to few US B schools with this score. (Plan to improve the score but I wont be able to take another attempt before R2). Due to the low GMAT score, I feel I would not stand a chance in the T20 programs. I am still applying to Emory (due to post-MBA consulting goals) but I am very confused if applying to other schools would make sense. Do let me know your thoughts please. Should I apply to any other US B-school too? If yes, any suggestions?

TheRedPen admitStreet MiMEssay
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAApplicant07 wrote:
Thank you so much for the replies and the valuable insights. Very grateful! I am an Indian Male Engineer and my current GMAT score is 690. I am thinking of applying in R2 to few US B schools with this score. (Plan to improve the score but I wont be able to take another attempt before R2). Due to the low GMAT score, I feel I would not stand a chance in the T20 programs. I am still applying to Emory (due to post-MBA consulting goals) but I am very confused if applying to other schools would make sense. Do let me know your thoughts please. Should I apply to any other US B-school too? If yes, any suggestions?

Hey MBAApplicant07,

Glad I could be of help!

Applying to Emory aligns well with your consulting goals. Your GMAT score of 690 is not that challenging for top U.S. MBA programs, and it shouldn't deter you from exploring other suitable options. Remember that GMAT is just 25% of your whole application and the rest depends on your whole profile. So focus on creating a compelling application. You should also consider schools like Simon Business School, UNC Kenan Flagler, or Rice University's Jones Graduate School of Business, which have strong consulting focuses and might be more receptive to your profile. Emphasize your unique professional experiences, leadership roles, and extracurricular achievements in your applications. While the GMAT is important, a well-rounded application highlighting your strengths and career aspirations can compensate for a lower score. Apply to a mix of schools, including some ranked between 20 and 40, to broaden your chances of acceptance. Remember, a comprehensive, well-articulated application can make a significant impact.

For more personalized advice or application assistance, feel free to reach out on dm!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBAApplicant07 wrote:

MBAApplicant07 - I'd refrain from suggesting schools based on the initial assessment, as this would require deeper discussion(s) and understanding of your profile/ work-ex, career goals, preferences etc. Besides, doing so wouldn't do you justice.

Broadly though, T20 is a bit difficult with GMAT 690, given the competitive 'Indian Male Engineer' applicant pool. Looking at UST20-30 programs with good post-MBA consulting careers would be prudent.

If you'd like to have a deeper chat, feel free to connect through the link(s) below with your profile.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet
W:https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAApplicant07 wrote:

Hey MBAApplicant07

We need a better understanding of your overall profile which will help us analyze your chances of getting admitted to a leading business school.

Do schedule a profile audit call with our MBA experts so they can brainstorm further in detail.

You can also directly call us at +91 9820491179
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
MBAApplicant07 wrote:
Hi Everyone

I am 27 year old Indian applicant with 5.5 YOE. After completing 4 years at a management consulting firm, I took the opportunity of a 1-year full time UNPAID freelance consulting opportunity and then resumed working in the corporate world with another consulting firm post that . Will there be an issue with including this work experience in the US/EU B school applications? Can I enter zero as my salary in the employment information section of the application? I have all other necessary work experience documents from my clients. Kindly help

MBAApplicant07 Hope its never too late to give some sensible advice, so here I am.

Yes, you can certainly declare a zero as your salary if you have not yet earned anything from your freelance consulting. With appropriate evidence and narrative, it will not affect the assessment. However, I recommend that you take the opportunity to address why you took this opportunity even though you were not compensated for your time. Optimistically, the employment gap can also be seen as an opportunity to pursue passion projects or activities that give meaning to our lives. Perhaps you really wanted to work as a freelance consultant, or the project was so lucrative that you could not say no despite the lack of compensation. Think about how you developed as a person during this "time out "" and what lessons you learned (both good and bad) that ultimately led to the decision to accept a full-time position with another consulting firm. The aim of the application is to find out how you think and how you make decisions rationally. It's not really about judging whether or not you earned a certain salary during a gap year.

Best

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot