Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Does Fuqua release the decisions on Dec. 20 no matter what? I interviewed on-campus during the open period and know interview invites go out soon for those who haven't interviewed.

It appears that way to me, but I wanted to see if anyone had heard anything else.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
bulldog33 wrote:
Does Fuqua release the decisions on Dec. 20 no matter what? I interviewed on-campus during the open period and know interview invites go out soon for those who haven't interviewed.

It appears that way to me, but I wanted to see if anyone had heard anything else.

Posted from my mobile device

Every admit gets called on December 20th; calls are usually made between 8am - 12pm ET, and final decisions are posted around noon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
December 20th is so far off!

hailmary wrote:
bulldog33 wrote:

Every admit gets called on December 20th; calls are usually made between 8am - 12pm ET, and final decisions are posted around noon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua MBA Blog: Random Things About Me
We’re in the midst of application season and seeing the prospective students touring Fuqua and visiting classes brought back memories of when I applied to school. Fuqua’s random facts application essay is one of the greatest questions I’ve seen. It’s unique, and you may be wondering how to respond, so I thought I would share some random things about myself. So here they are, in no particular order:

• In 2008, I finished my first and only marathon in a time of 3 hours, 46 minutes. While I haven’t ruled out running another, it hasn’t happened yet …
  • I’m an amateur competitive eater. Career highlights include demolishing a 4-pound burrito in 13 minutes and nearly finishing a 10,000-calorie, 9-pound burger in 1 hour. I’m a lifetime member of the Clean Plate Club.
  • In sixth grade, I finished third place in my hometown spelling bee, but … there were only 3 contestants.
  • I love tennis. I played in high school and continued playing competitively during college. I co-founded the Iowa State tennis club with some friends and over 10 years later, the club is still thriving.
  • My wife, Julie Ryan, is also a first-year student at Fuqua.
  • One of my favorite experiences was studying abroad in France during undergrad and spending the summer backpacking throughout Western Europe.
  • I didn’t step foot on a plane until I was 21 years old, but on my 28th birthday, I jumped out of one.
  • I don’t own a television or DVD player, but 2 of my favorite shows are “Lost” and “Breaking Bad.”
  • As a pre-teen, I was very overweight. During the summer between seventh and eighth grade, I lost 50 pounds and when I returned to school, no one recognized me. They thought I was the new kid in school!
  • I lived for more than 2 years without electricity or running water in an African village as a Peace Corps volunteer.
  • I met former Vice President Al Gore (author of “An Inconvenient Truth”) and country music star LeAnn Rimes.
  • As I’m writing this, I’m procrastinating on studying.
  • My only brother is 3 years younger than me and at various stages of our lives we’ve been mistaken for twins.
  • My undergraduate career spanned 5 1/2 years, two schools, and more than 200 credits.
  • In 2004, I was the Iowa State University Intramural ping pong singles and doubles champion!
  • My first part-time job was stringing tennis rackets. My favorite job to-date was with the Peace Corps where I worked as a small business advisor and helped entrepreneurs launch new businesses.
  • My favorite movies growing up were the “Back to the Future” trilogy.
  • Nerd alert! I’ve always enjoyed board games, and about a year ago I fell in love with Settlers of Catan – especially with the Cities and Knights expansion. I also enjoy Acquire, a rare property investment game made by 3M in the 1960s.
  • I can’t really swim and I’m the worst golfer you’ll ever see.
  • I’m currently writing a humorous travelogue about my adventures in Africa, similar to one of my favorite books “Sex Lives of Cannibals.”
  • Camembert Apple Chutney Quesadillas. I’m a self-proclaimed foodie and when time allows, I enjoy cooking. The aforesaid dish is one of my specialties.
  • I love traveling. At the top of my must-see list is Southeast Asia.
  • I created and dressed as a superhero named Moringa Man to teach the population of Burkina Faso about the health benefits of cooking with moringa, a super-nutritious plant.
  • I inherited my love for outdoor activities from my parents, who both hold graduate degrees in geology. During my childhood, we spent many summer vacations hiking and backpacking in the Rockies.
  • I once permed my hair because I liked the way the style looked in a Taco Bell commercial.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua MBA Blog: Symposium Helps Veterans Transition to Business School

Guest Blogger: Andrew Filauro

I am a second-year Daytime MBA student and currently serve as the president of the Duke MBA Armed Forces Association (DAFA). Prior to Fuqua, I graduated from West Point in 2007, served for 5 years as an active duty Army Captain, and was stationed in Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Afghanistan, and Maryland. But enough about me — the real reason I’m so excited to be a guest blogger is to tell you about an incredible event that recently took place here on campus.

Just a few weeks ago, DAFA and the Fuqua Admissions team co-hosted the second annual Veterans Symposium for Military Applicants. The Fuqua community recognizes and values the experience and leadership attributes of military veterans, who now represent the fastest growing student group throughout all of Duke University’s academic programs. From 2011 to 2013, the total number of veterans in the Daytime MBA program each year has increased from 11 to 21 to 39 today, demonstrating the importance of veterans within Fuqua’s diverse student body.

For the symposium, we were fortunate to host 34 MBA applicants who have served or are currently serving in our nation’s armed forces. The symposium’s agenda addressed the most pressing questions on the minds of our guests, who despite their remarkable leadership records, often struggle to translate how those experiences will help them become Leaders of Consequence within the walls of Fuqua and in the business world.

Symposium attendees and current students crawl through an obstacle course during Fuqua Friday.

Event Provides Inside Look at Fuqua
Beginning with an introduction from Dean Bill Boulding, the symposium included overviews of the admissions process, the Fuqua academic curriculum, the Career Management Center, and the Yellow Ribbon and Post-9/11 GI Bill programs. Participants and their spouses/partners had the opportunity to have lunch with some of Fuqua’s 39 current veteran students, whose conversations ranged from admissions interview tips to combat stories to the evening’s DAFA-sponsored Fuqua Friday. The afternoon’s events kicked off with an alumni panel of Fuqua veterans who took time out of their professional schedules to venture back to Durham. The panel provided a forum for our guests to ask questions about how the alumni successfully transitioned from the military to Fuqua and eventually to the business world — and, of course, why Fuqua is the best place to start.

Headlining the symposium was keynote speaker Matt Moellering, who is the Chief Operating Officer of Express, Inc. Matt is a 1988 West Point graduate and served as an active duty Army officer before earning his MBA from Fuqua in 1995, and he was thrilled by the opportunity to speak about his career path and experiences. He described some of the skill sets that he believes veterans bring to business, as well as weaker areas that the two-year Fuqua experience helped him transform into strengths.

Throwing “grenades” at a mini UNC mascot during the obstacle course.

Following the keynote address, our guests participated in a mock class with Professor Grainne Fitzsimons to experience the learning environment at Fuqua. The final event of the day was the DAFA and Beer Club-sponsored Fuqua Friday, which is essentially a big party that celebrates the end of each week. In addition to the Oktoberfest theme, the highlight of the event was a military obstacle course. Teams of students competed to complete the course as quickly as possible. The obstacle course included low-crawling, burpee pushups, infantry movement tactics, and “grenade” throwing toward the UNC mascot.

Following the evening’s social festivities, nearly all of our guests threw their game faces back on and conducted their required admissions interviews the next morning. Finally, the symposium concluded with a farewell lunch and attendees were given free tickets to the Duke vs. Navy football game, which was fittingly Duke Football’s Military Appreciation Day.

The symposium was an unrivaled opportunity for our guests to learn first-hand what Fuqua is all about, and how our robust veteran network is dedicated to helping us find the best possible career paths after B-school. But don’t take it from me — one of our veteran guests sent us a note after the event:

“Thank you for all the help and advice the past few days. The Veterans Symposium was a true first class experience. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it and are extremely excited about the chance to join Team Fuqua. Your hard work putting such a fantastic event together is greatly appreciated.”

We’re so pleased that our guests enjoyed the event so much, and hopefully got a much better feel for Team Fuqua. If you’re a veteran and you’re interested in Fuqua, please send us an email at [url=mailto:dukearmedforcesassociation@duke.edu]dukearmedforcesassociation@duke.edu[/url]. We look forward to seeing you at next year’s symposium! Keep an eye on thesymposium website for info about the next event.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua MBA Blog: I Chose Fuqua to Find My Dream Job
One of my passions is contributing to the development of others. I am driven by the opportunity to show someone who thinks they are “average” how much potential they have to achieve more, and ways in which to improve themselves. I didn’t realize I could make a career out of doing what I love, but through researching business schools and potential career paths, I realized it was possible. My short term plan is to get into human resources, or a role in human capital management, where I can drive a company’s performance through the strategy behind their people. Long term, I envision myself leveraging my experience in a non-profit industry, like education, because I believe our education system can be transformed with great leaders. Of course, like my peers, I’m also open to learning about different careers and industries while I am at Fuqua.

Waking up to do something you love is not working, it’s called living a dream, and Duke seemed to be the perfect choice to help me get to my dream job. Why was Duke the right choice and how would it help me? Well, one of the reasons I applied to Fuqua was because of its many concentrations. These concentrations, specifically Leadership & Ethics, Management and Social Entrepreneurship, cover all the information I hope to learn to achieve my short-term and long-term career aspirations. Also, the 6-week terms provide flexibility to study multiple concentrations and to take more classes than at many other business programs.

Through business school, I want to learn about managing others, developing myself, and becoming a better leader. Leadership training is interwoven in the Fuqua curriculum and extracurricular activities, for both years of the MBA. Two other big factors that drove me to choose Duke is their Net Impact Club and Fuqua/Coach K Center on Leadership & Ethics (COLE). They both offer so many programs and opportunities that I want to take advantage of.

The Net Impact Club is the largest on campus. They also won the best club of the year last year, which goes to show you how strong their commitment to the community is. Within my first month of being here, I was able to experience Durham through their signature Day in Durham event. I met leaders in non-profit organizations and learned how I could become involved.

COLE provides lots of leadership training. Each study team is assigned a COLE Fellow — someone to serve as a ‘leadership facilitator’ for lack of a better term. I love my fellow. I value the insight he provides to our group with respect to team dynamics, stress management, and creating the best two years of our lives. I didn’t understand the role or impact COLE would have on me, but our mandatory PDP (Personal Development Plan) and COLE Fellow, have allowed me to question how I define leadership and success, and how I want to transform myself as a person, and my community, from being a part of it.

There’s so much that I plan to accomplish in two years here. I’ve tried emphasizing to my family just how much I plan to do, and I know they think I’m crazy, but I actually have a spreadsheet to keep track of my activities, and prove just how much can be done!

Feeling At Home at Fuqua
On top of everything I felt that I would learn at Fuqua and finding a path to my dream job, another main reason I chose to attend Fuqua was because I felt at home here. I knew I wouldn’t have the luxury of 4 years to find my niche, so I sought out a place where I felt I would be surrounded by extended family — a strong support network. Team Fuqua is where it’s at. Team Fuqua is so awesome that on my first day here, I felt comfortable enough to send the people responsible for admitting me this note:

Subject: I am officially a North Carolina resident!

Hello new family,

I wanted to update you all that I had a wonderful 4 hours + breakdown yesterday as I said goodbye to my mother – of course, not in front of her, because that would’ve delayed my arrival. The reason I am sharing that is because I want you all to know I made the decision to come to Duke primarily because I felt the safest and most comfortable in this community, thanks to you all, who represent the school so well. I am confident I’ll be too busy to even remember being homesick and that this is the right decision for me today, and for my family’s future trajectory…

I’m sure other schools have almost as amazing admissions officers, but the team here at Fuqua is incomparable. Here are some facts about the admissions officers — the Queen, Liz Riley Hargrove knits. We chatted about knitting one day, for over 10 minutes, because she found me knitting in the hallway. Willie Green is currently in the Cross Continent MBA program — so trust him when he says he knows the curriculum — he really does! Sharon Thompson helped coin the term Wellness Wednesdays for the folks up in admissions, and it spread to the students. Each Wednesday they host a PiYo class (it’s a combination of pilates and yoga). We hang out, even when we don’t have to. That’s love. I can’t put into more words how welcoming this community is, and how excited I am to be here. Go Team Fuqua!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua MBA Blog: Social Impact Meets Business Conference
I have a confession to make — I like the taste of insects. OK, so it’s not quite the same thing as eating an ant off the ground, but I recently had a snack bar made of powdered cricket flour, and it was actually pretty good. The company that produces it, Chapul, wasn’t the only bug-based cuisine company represented at the recent 2013 Net Impact Conference, either. Hult Prize winner Aspire Food Group fosters the production of grasshopper snacks in Mexico, and was also at the conference. Both companies discovered that the protein and micronutrient benefits of insects could be a powerful way to fight hunger and malnutrition, and at a fraction of the proportional water usage that traditional livestock require.

A rep from Chapul sells snack bars made from dried cricket flour during the conference expo.

I’m sure there are plenty of people who would not be surprised that attendees of a social business conference were standing around eating bugs, but prior to attending the Net Impact Conference in San Jose, California, from October 24-26, I wouldn’t have guessed that crickets would be on the menu. At the conference, dozens of companies were present, each highlighting a better way of doing things — for example, a better way to nourish people (Chapul and Aspire Food Group), a better way to monitor a telecom supply chain (Sprint), a better way to address traveler’s housing needs (Airbnb), and many more.

Fuqua Represents

Michelle Kirby (left) and Jen Fluder (right) are co-presidents of the Fuqua Net Impact chapter, which was named top 3 in the country!

Despite the fact that the conference was held across the country in California, Fuqua proudly fielded the largest number of attendees from any graduate program. This plucky bunch included many of the Fuqua Net Impact cabinet members, as well as first-years who had attended this year’s social impact Week-in-Cities in San Francisco. I actually attended the conference for the second time (read about last year’s experience). The Fuqua crew also had the added bonus of learning that Fuqua Net Impact was named one of the top 3 graduate school Net Impact chapters in the nation, for the second year in a row!

After the conference, we now have hundreds more examples of how to make a positive impact on the world through whichever sector we may end up in when we graduate. And since I learned at this conference that millennials are likely to change careers 3 times, let’s shoot to have impact in whatever sector we’re in 5 years after graduation, as well.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua MBA Blog: Weekend for Women Event Reaches 10-Year Anniversary
A year ago, my life was very different: I was living in New York City, putting in long hours at work during the day, and working on B-school applications and studying for the GMAT at night. I know just as well as the next guy or gal the stress that comes with applying to a top tier business school — for the period of August through December of last year I took what felt like a permanent hiatus from friends and family as I worked towards my B-school goal. However, one experience in particular helped me to remain focused and keep my eye on the prize during times when it felt like I was swimming against the current: in early November of last year, I attended Duke’s annual MBA Weekend for Women. The event was a turning point for me last year because it helped me realize that Fuqua was THE place for me. Earlier this month, I was fortunate to participate in the event, again, but from a different perspective, as a current student and organizer.

The Duke MBA Weekend for Women
The Weekend for Women (W4W) is an annual invitation-only diversity event that brings female prospective students to campus for a chance to experience life at Fuqua. The weekend is filled with leadership discussions, career panels, introductions to Fuqua’s curriculum and clubs, and networking events with current students and alumni.

Alumnae celebrate the weekend event’s 10-year anniversary.

Celebrating 10 Years
This year marked the 10-year anniversary of the W4W. The event included over 80 prospective students, representing various geographic locations and with professional backgrounds ranging from engineering to non-profit. Over 30 alumnae also attended, providing prospective students an opportunity to hear first-hand about the value of the Fuqua network throughout the trajectory of one’s career. Some of the alumnae have returned to Fuqua for the W4W for multiple years, and they have helped to make it a success for 10 years. The visiting alumnae were an incredible resource: throughout the weekend, over lunches and coffee chats, we (prospective and current students) had the opportunity to engage with the incredibly successful women from many professions. With all of the transparency, jokes, and laughter throughout these conversations, it didn’t feel like I was networking — but I certainly came out with great new contacts and an interest in several new functions and industries. That’s the power of the Fuqua network.

Event Highlights
  • Buddy Wine Night: Each W4W attendee is paired with a current student “buddy” to act as a point of reference throughout the weekend and during the application process. Last year, my relationship with my buddy was incredibly useful, and now that I am on the other side of the fence, I was more than happy to be paired with a few wonderful ladies who attended the W4W! We met over a glass of wine (what better ice breaker is there?) and we discussed everything from nuances of the application process to our favorite New York City restaurants.
  • Women in Leadership Discussion: Management & Organizations Professor Ashleigh Rosette has earned many accolades both in and outside of Fuqua (she’s feature in Poets & Quants as a 40 best professor under 40). During the W4W, Ashleigh discussed her research on women and their path to leadership, incorporating hot topics such as Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” movement and recent reactions to the HBS gender and leadership initiatives.
  • Taste of the Core: No MBA weekend is complete without a taste of our world class education. Attendees had the exciting opportunity to attend “mock classes.” In a typical class visit visitors sit silently at the back of the room during an actual MBA class, but not during W4W. Accounting Professor Shane Dikolli and Finance Professor Michael Brandt graciously taught mock classes over the weekend, utilizing actual cases and materials from MBA courses. This offered prospective students an opportunity to engage, participate, and get a true taste of what sitting in a Fuqua classroom entails.
The weekend was a huge success and being on the other side of the fence this year, I couldn’t help but remember attending the event last year. The W4W is what made me realize that Fuqua was my top choice. Experiencing the beautiful campus, the quality of education, the inclusiveness of Team Fuqua — all of this drove my aspirations and encouraged me to push through impossibly hard GMAT questions and tedious application nuances in an effort to reach my goal of becoming a part of Team Fuqua. I hope this year’s attendees left with the same feeling!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
Got the call an hour ago. Based in Houston. Re applicant who was wait listed until August. I am speechless. Good luck everyone.

Congrats!! I remember the hell you went through last year, so good for you. Did being a reapplicant who was waitlisted last year help?
Director
Director
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
hailmary wrote:
Got the call an hour ago. Based in Houston. Re applicant who was wait listed until August. I am speechless. Good luck everyone.

Congrats!! I remember the hell you went through last year, so good for you. Did being a reapplicant who was waitlisted last year help?

Thanks bud. Well, I think it did help. 1) I found out a lot more about the school by talking to current students and alums 2) I developed strong relationships with 1-2 adcom members. 3) I showed Duke that they are my first choice and I am committed to applying there 4) Adcom loves perseverance - i made sure I put in a brand new app, and not recycle my essays.

Are you applying there?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
(apologize for side tracking)
via Cricinfo: "A special screening of Sachin's last innings here by Duke University students in USA."

I have a new found respect for Fuqua. It might be the deciding factor if I have to choose between multiple schools. No kid!
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
mdp54867 wrote:
Friendly upcoming deadline reminder – application for The Duke MBA LGBT Weekend closes on November 5th. I attended this event last year and in addition to having a really fun weekend, the visit helped me understand and articulate Team Fuqua in my application and I was able to interview outside of the open interview period. Highly recommend applying if you are eligible. Signup is at lgbtweekend[dot]com and I'd also be happy to answer questions. Good luck!

Just got the email, and I was offered a place for the weekend. Anyone else going?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
mdp54867 wrote:
Friendly upcoming deadline reminder – application for The Duke MBA LGBT Weekend closes on November 5th. I attended this event last year and in addition to having a really fun weekend, the visit helped me understand and articulate Team Fuqua in my application and I was able to interview outside of the open interview period. Highly recommend applying if you are eligible. Signup is at lgbtweekend[dot]com and I'd also be happy to answer questions. Good luck!

Just got the email, and I was offered a place for the weekend. Anyone else going?

I attended the women's weekend and it was a phenomenal program. I highly recommend any of the diversity weekends to other prospective students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
gsmon wrote:
hailmary wrote:

Thanks bud. Well, I think it did help. 1) I found out a lot more about the school by talking to current students and alums 2) I developed strong relationships with 1-2 adcom members. 3) I showed Duke that they are my first choice and I am committed to applying there 4) Adcom loves perseverance - i made sure I put in a brand new app, and not recycle my essays.

Are you applying there?

I will apply to Duke. I think what you articulated makes a lot of sense.

How many places did you apply to this time? I know you went all out last year.
Director
Director
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
hailmary wrote:

Are you applying there?

I will apply to Duke. I think what you articulated makes a lot of sense.

How many places did you apply to this time? I know you went all out last year.

Yes, I did 6 last year. This year, for some reasons, I had very high hopes for Duke, so I only applied to Duke, UT, Yale & Cornell...and withdrew from all other three schools as soon as I got my admit. Good Luck with your app. PM me know if you have any specific questions - happy to help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Can anyone provide insight as to how many (or what percentage of students) are in the HSM program?

According to https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... s_figures/, it says "HSM is one of the largest health industry concentration among top U.S. business schools, enrolling nearly 400 students each academic year."

Here https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/ it says that class size is 440.

Does this mean everyone who goes to Fuqua is in the HSM program?

Edit: Nevermind, I guess the ~400 students in HSM probably includes their other MBA programs (cross continent, global, weekend, etc). Anyone know how many HSMers in the Daytime-MBA?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts