GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.52
Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 11:21
Hello Everyone!

I recently got into Georgetown-McDonough's full-time MBA program starting in the fall of 2018, and I need some help on whether I should attend/re-apply to different schools in next year's application cycle. I have provided a brief insight into my journey so far. Please, feel free to share your thoughts or ideas.

BASICS:
Citizen: India, living in the United States since 2010. I cannot work in roles that require US government clearance as I am not a citizen/green-card holder.
Undergraduate Degree: BS Electrical Engineering
Undergraduate Institution: Purdue University West Lafayette, IN.
Current Employer: Cummins Inc.
Current Designation: Senior Electronics Controls Engineer (1 promotion, 1 direct reportee)
Post MBA Goal: Product Development Manager in Tech.
Technology Consulting (MBB ideal, but being realistic any of the Big 4 will be amazing too)

TESTING:
GMAT score: 700 (Q:47, V:39)
710 (Q:49,V:35)

APPLICATIONS:
Schools Applied to for Fall 2017: UT-Austin (Dinged w/o interview)
UCLA-Anderson (Dinged w/o interview)
Cornell-Johnson (Wait listed w/o interview then dinged)
CMU-Tepper (Dinged w/o interview)

Schools Applied to for Fall 2018: UNC-Kenan Flagler (Dinged w/o interview)
Cornell-Johnson (Wait listed w/o interview)
USC-Marshall (Dinged after interview)
Georgetown-McDonough (admitted)

Note: I applied to all schools in both years in either R3/R4 (i.e. January/March)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.9
Premium Member
Re: Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 11:52
Since you do not have US citizenship or Green Card, therefore, your application would be treated as that of an International Applicant from India. From that perspective, your GMAT is lower than the average GMAT score of your peer group and is a possible reason for so many dings without interviews. Another cardinal sin that you ommitted was to not apply in the first two rounds when most of the colleges fill up the Indian pool of their MBA class.

Georgetown doesn't seem to be a good fit for you especially considering your stated goal of moving into Tech Industry. My advice is to try to bump up your GMAT by 20-30 points and reapply in R1 and R2 this year. Your profile is very strong and even your current GMAT should be sufficient for you to get you into a Top 15 college. A higher GMAT will open the gateway for a Top 10 admit and some scholarship.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Re: Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 21:03
Hey thanks for sharing your profile. Your stats are solid for the schools you have applied for, though as you know, you are part of a rather competitive demographic.

McDonough's placement into tech isn't particularly great with only 13% of the c/o 2017 going into tech and 15% of the c/o 2018 doing an internship in tech. Average starting salaries for tech is quite low as well (~$105K). Still, McDonough claims for the c/o 2017 that Google and Amazon were top employers, though they don't specify the number of grads that went into those companies. They might send a handful of grads into the top tech companies per year (will you be one of the lucky ones)?

If you're not particularly excited about attending McDonough, then I would definitely reapply this year with a goal of hitting R1 and / or R2.

In lieu of prepping for the GMAT, you might consider getting an early start on your applications and potentially working with an admissions consultant, particularly if you are not a native English speaker or have much exposure to the tech industry. For example, you stated your goal is "product development manager", but the more common term that is used in tech is "product manager".

Feel free to PM me if I can help.

mrinalsharma91 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I recently got into Georgetown-McDonough's full-time MBA program starting in the fall of 2018, and I need some help on whether I should attend/re-apply to different schools in next year's application cycle. I have provided a brief insight into my journey so far. Please, feel free to share your thoughts or ideas.

BASICS:
Citizen: India, living in the United States since 2010. I cannot work in roles that require US government clearance as I am not a citizen/green-card holder.
Undergraduate Degree: BS Electrical Engineering
Undergraduate Institution: Purdue University West Lafayette, IN.
Current Employer: Cummins Inc.
Current Designation: Senior Electronics Controls Engineer (1 promotion, 1 direct reportee)
Post MBA Goal: Product Development Manager in Tech.
Technology Consulting (MBB ideal, but being realistic any of the Big 4 will be amazing too)

TESTING:
GMAT score: 700 (Q:47, V:39)
710 (Q:49,V:35)

APPLICATIONS:
Schools Applied to for Fall 2017: UT-Austin (Dinged w/o interview)
UCLA-Anderson (Dinged w/o interview)
Cornell-Johnson (Wait listed w/o interview then dinged)
CMU-Tepper (Dinged w/o interview)

Schools Applied to for Fall 2018: UNC-Kenan Flagler (Dinged w/o interview)
Cornell-Johnson (Wait listed w/o interview)
USC-Marshall (Dinged after interview)
Georgetown-McDonough (admitted)

Note: I applied to all schools in both years in either R3/R4 (i.e. January/March)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 21:03

Georgetown McDonough or re-apply next year: Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap