Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Not at all- I think that you could be competitive at the elite/ultraelite schools, we just need to know more about you to help make this determination.

By gold medal do you mean in intl. sports competition? If so that would be a great way of setting you apart from other candidates.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT 700...OTHER KEY INFO' ABT ME....PLZ. SUGGEST [#permalink]
Hi!

The gold medal is in B.Tech for being the topper . But , I have executed several leadership roles during my B Tech and during my job.These roles were in sports, organising events at college, holding the post of editor for college magazine, handling several projects in job and being responsible for marketing in a particular zone for my company.

I have been involved in other extracurricular activities like debate , elocution and have won awards in thses too.

Would these points would strengthen the possibility of admission in MIT or STanford...

Suggestion please......

Cheers.... :roll:
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi again,

The extracurrics you mentioned certainly make your application package stronger. However, for those schools that engage in demographic profiling you are likely to be ascribed to a group with many competitive applicants. If your main interest is finance, there are several other schools in the top cluster that are worth investigating.

Hjort
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Would these points would strengthen the possibility of admission in MIT or STanford...

They should help you at any school in that they'll help you show some depth to your application outside of the normal academics and job experiences that most similar applicants will talk about. There are no guarantees, but you will definitely help yourself by showing a willingness to take the lead in a wide variety of areas.

You have a nice diversity of experience. Now your job will be to clearly and convincingly communicate that to admissions officers.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi!!

Thank you for your comments...as everybody else I also dream of studying at Stanf / MIT etc....is there anything else that i can show in my essays that would help.

Would you please suggest some other universities you mentioned ...

Also would it help to get admission in Stanford / MIT/ Harvard /Cornell if I pursue my present field of job that is marketing and select it as concentration for MBA. How is the competition in markeitng for girls..

cheers....
garima_hyd@yahoo.com
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
If you're looking for other finance schools, consider Chicago, Wharton, Columbia, NYU, and U. of Rochester.

I don't know if your choosing marketing vs. finance as a concentration will have much of an effect on your chances (although in my marketing classes tend to have a higher percentage of women than finance classes do). What will probably have more of an effect is what you say you want to do with your degree after you graduate. A lot of schools don't place much emphasis on the particular majors or concentrations, and therefore are more interested in hearing what you want to do after school. This decision may still be a finance vs. marketing question for you, but keep this in mind.

Scott
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

There are many strong finance schools to choose among including Chicago, Columbia, Rochester, NYU, Penn, and UCLA.

I agree that a professed interest in marketing is unlikely to give much of a demographic advantage.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

thank you very much for your help.i was writing about my career goals and i feel that i am as well interested in entrepreneurship. is the set of schools diffreent for this concentration from the one for finance.

also, many schools as suggested by you are among top 10 as per BW....what should be taken care of for strengthening my application.

moreover, i would also like to add that marketing is a field that interests me and going for MBA in this stream wont be a fake interest....but i am now intersted in finance and entrepreneurship because of my career goals...and because i have learnt some aspects of markeintg during my career and other i can learn on my own while studying MBA .

thank you ..i look forward to your reply....

cheers
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
You might be interested in UCLA since it is strong in marketing, finance, and entrepreneurship.

As a gross overgeneralization, the schools at the Near Elite level or so tend to be more specialized than the ultraelite and elite schools. Thus, a school such as Babson which might be strong in entrepreneurship might be less strong in marketing. If you are interested in Near Elite schools you can often find schools that are at least as strong in specific domains as some of the ultraelites and elites but you are unlikely to find as many strengths across a large number of domains at any particular NE school.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

thank you for your feedback....as you have mentioned [ If you are interested in Near Elite schools you can often find schools that are at least as strong in specific domains as some of the ultraelites and elites but you are unlikely to find as many strengths across a large number of domains at any particular NE school. ] please intimate how do we identify the elite near elite ultraelite......with my background where would i fit....with all those rankings available through BW ,embark.com etc ....i am not able to decide.....does the ranking define the elite an near elite schools....please suggest.

warm regards,

Garima
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I plan to post a fuller discription of rankings and clusters on the portion of gmatclub dedicated to reviews of schools.

Best,

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]