Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 07:36 It is currently 09 May 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622404 [24]
Given Kudos: 81810
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6878 [14]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: It can be said that the undead are living the high [#permalink]
Kudos
These short ones can be tricky! I don't see many textbook errors, which is usually the struggle with the short sentence correction questions. My opinion below:

It can be said that the undead are living the high life, which is to say that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon, darlings of screens big and small.

(A) which is to say that - I think this obscures the meaning, and confuses causation (ie zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon because they are living the high life). Eliminate.
(B) another way of saying that - I don't think the second component is another way of saying the first component, I think the information after the underline is actually an explanation not a rephrase. Eliminate.
(C) meaning - does zombies living the high life necessarily mean they are a worldwide phenomenon? No, they could find other ways to live the high life. Eliminate.
(D) namely that - this is the best option IMO. If this ends up being the right answer, I think it is a very tough one for a non-native speaker to get as it is a non-normal idiom used. Namely is a way of introducing an example, and here why I believe this is correct is the author is introducing an example of why the zombies are living the high life. This is the best IMO.
(E) that - seems ok, the only thing I would note is this might be a parallelism trap. It looks nice that there is a "that" in both the first and second components of the sentence, but I think this is actually a trap. I think that does not do a good enough job of distinguishing the second part as an explanation for the first part. IMO eliminate.

Tough one...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: It can be said that the undead are living the high [#permalink]
Kudos
Option E is the correct answer.

Option A : Use of "which" is incorrect and sentence is wordy. Incorrect.
Option B : Wordy. Incorrect.
Option C : "Meaning" cannot stand alone. Either we should have a comma after "Meaning" or "that" after meaning. Incorrect.
Option D : "Namely that" should be used only when we are listing out the terms. Incorrect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3996 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
It can be said
that the undead are living the high life,
which is to say that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon,
darlings of screens big and small.

(A) which is to say that
which does not refer to high life Incorrect
(B) another way of saying that
Correct
(C) meaning
the undead are living the high life does not mean zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon Incorrect
(D) namely that
the undead are living the high life and zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon are unrelated. Incorrect
(E) that
It can be said that the undead are living the high life, that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon, darlings of screens big and small.
Correct

IMO E
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6878 [0]
Expert Reply
sj296 wrote:
IMO OA should be D

'namely' = 'that/which is to say'

(A) which is to say that......................seems fine but we have a shorter version of it.
(B) another way of saying that.................Intended meaning is not coming across. Also, phrase noun + noun
(C) meaning.........................noun followed by another noun zombies. Doesn't make any sense.
(D) namely that...................Looks fine
(E) that.........................comma + that is not correct.

This is very close to the correct chain of reasoning, sj296. I think it was only a lack of familiarity with a heretofore unseen construct on the GMAT™ that dissuaded you from selecting (E). I appreciate the terse yet on-point analysis. Well done.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6878 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MV94 wrote:
These short ones can be tricky! I don't see many textbook errors, which is usually the struggle with the short sentence correction questions. My opinion below:

It can be said that the undead are living the high life, which is to say that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon, darlings of screens big and small.

(A) which is to say that - I think this obscures the meaning, and confuses causation (ie zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon because they are living the high life). Eliminate.
(B) another way of saying that - I don't think the second component is another way of saying the first component, I think the information after the underline is actually an explanation not a rephrase. Eliminate.
(C) meaning - does zombies living the high life necessarily mean they are a worldwide phenomenon? No, they could find other ways to live the high life. Eliminate.
(D) namely that - this is the best option IMO. If this ends up being the right answer, I think it is a very tough one for a non-native speaker to get as it is a non-normal idiom used. Namely is a way of introducing an example, and here why I believe this is correct is the author is introducing an example of why the zombies are living the high life. This is the best IMO.
(E) that - seems ok, the only thing I would note is this might be a parallelism trap. It looks nice that there is a "that" in both the first and second components of the sentence, but I think this is actually a trap. I think that does not do a good enough job of distinguishing the second part as an explanation for the first part. IMO eliminate.

Tough one...

It is funny, MV94. Most of the points you have brought up above for each answer choice are the same ones I wrote about in my own post. I agree that the question would be particularly difficult for a non-native speaker of English, but based on the timer statistics, I would say it proved difficult for just about everybody. You teased out some excellent talking points, and for that reason, I think your post deserves recognition.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6878 [0]
Expert Reply
insomnia wrote:
Opted for D:

(A) which is to say that & (B) another way of saying that – grammatically incorrect, I feel
(C) meaning – feels like conversational language to me, lacks something to build up a grammatically sound sentence.
(D) namely that – could perhaps work.
(E) that – not incorrect I would say, but distorts the structure of the sentence (not A & explanation, but instead, A & B).

All of these points are accurate, insomnia, and you are one of the only people to point out the difference in meaning between (E) and the first two options. You just have to keep in mind that only the non-underlined portion of the sentence cannot be negotiated with: there is nothing special about the original sentence, concerning its expression of ideas. Thus, the question becomes, Can the idea expressed in (E) work? (even if it is different from the relationship outlined in the original sentence). I cannot say I blame you for being a little conservative in the end. I do not think the GMAT™ would push us so hard on such a fine detail at this point in time.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 757
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Quote:
This sort of repetition, comma + [repeated element], is pretty common in professional writing. Take a look at the most recent New York Times (a common source that GMAC™ likes to plunder for SC questions), for instance, and I can virtually guarantee that you will spot something similar. Some examples of the types of repetition I am outlining:

1) Two prepositional phrases—In his home, in the one place he should have felt safe, the man was brutally attacked and beaten to within an inch of his life.

2) Two infinitives—The Buddha urged his followers to abandon worldly pursuits, to take a path of enlightenment instead.

3) Two clauses—What he did, what no one should even think to do, is beyond the reach of the law.

The big question is whether we would expect to see such a question on the GMAT™. I cannot say that at this time, I have seen this exact split tested in such a manner. But who knows what the future may bring?

Anybody who wants to ace SC will do well to regularly read the New York Times or other such publications and web sites.

Learning the rules and improving comprehension will take you far ( to a top score in fact)
Yet, you may not realise that Answer Choice E does not break any rules and is by far the best of the five choices.
Someone who has often encountered this sort of construct will not consider it odd at all

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Greetings, everyone. I wrote just yesterday that I prefer longer underlined portions in SC questions, since they often provide more to consider. I am reminded of the famous opening scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark, the first Indiana Jones film. After navigating various traps, Jones and his guide lay eyes on the prize, a golden statue sitting atop a platform in a large, open room. The guide says, "Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here." He takes a step forward and Jones grabs him, shoves him against the wall, and says, "That's what scares me." (See the 6-minute mark in the link if you are curious, although I would recommend taking a break for ten minutes or so and watching the entire scene.)

You have to treat a short underline with respect, or the question may get the better of you.

Bunuel wrote:

(A) which is to say that

The grammar can work here, although which clauses in general refer to a single noun, rather than to an entire clause—here, the undead are living the high life. In casual conversation, I would not think twice; on the GMAT™, I would be more conservative and mark this one as a doubt.

Quote:
(B) another way of saying that

It is kind of strange to get this other way before we have been introduced to the first, but this answer choice is functional, safer than (A) at least.

Quote:
(C) meaning

The clause the undead are living the high life does not mean that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon. No one would read the first part on its own and readily predict the latter. Again, (B) is the safer choice.

Quote:
(D) namely that

Namely concisely expresses that the second clause comments on or describes the embedded clause, the object, of the first. If you were hanging on to (B) up to this point, now would be the time to drop the earlier answer choice.

Quote:
(E) that

This is a tricky one. You have to ask yourself whether this single word can work in parallel with the first mention of the same word. I know that your knee-jerk reaction may be to dismiss a comma + that construct, but test to see if the two clauses provide a logical continuation of the original stem. If the answer is yes, then you have to accept the construct as valid. Test:

1) It can be said that the undead are living the high life—This obviously works as a standalone sentence. Keep moving.

2) It can be said that zombies are a worldwide cultural phenomenon—Again, we cannot write off this standalone continuation of the main clause (especially in light of the darlings appositive phrase at the end of the non-underlined portion).

Taken together, we are to understand that the sentence merely conveys, in two slightly different ways, what can be said. In short, that works on its own here, and we could not get any more concise. (E) is the pick of the lot.

A short note on this type of construct:

This sort of repetition, comma + [repeated element], is pretty common in professional writing. Take a look at the most recent New York Times (a common source that GMAC™ likes to plunder for SC questions), for instance, and I can virtually guarantee that you will spot something similar. Some examples of the types of repetition I am outlining:

1) Two prepositional phrases—In his home, in the one place he should have felt safe, the man was brutally attacked and beaten to within an inch of his life.

2) Two infinitives—The Buddha urged his followers to abandon worldly pursuits, to take a path of enlightenment instead.

3) Two clauses—What he did, what no one should even think to do, is beyond the reach of the law.

The big question is whether we would expect to see such a question on the GMAT™. I cannot say that at this time, I have seen this exact split tested in such a manner. But who knows what the future may bring? (Just about everyone agrees that the test is harder now than it was a few years ago. ESRs reveal as much. If too many people start to ace the Verbal section, GMAC™ will look to some other arcane niche of grammar to raise the bar to perfection.)

Happy studies, everyone.

- Andrew

AndrewN, as usual, you are very nice with your 'daddy-like"explanation :D
However, would you please like to make some more effort to dissolve my undermentioned confusion?
1. Two Independent Clause could be joined either by 'comma+FANBOYS' or 'semicolon', not merely using just a comma. Here the rule is violated, as 'comma+repeated element' is used. Am I doing any mistake in my understanding?
2. Is parallelism violated here? because I relate the construction of ".....that X and that Y...".
Waiting eagerly for your reply.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6878 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bobnil wrote:
AndrewN, as usual, you are very nice with your 'daddy-like"explanation :D
However, would you please like to make some more effort to dissolve my undermentioned confusion?
1. Two Independent Clause could be joined either by 'comma+FANBOYS' or 'semicolon', not merely using just a comma. Here the rule is violated, as 'comma+repeated element' is used. Am I doing any mistake in my understanding?
2. Is parallelism violated here? because I relate the construction of ".....that X and that Y...".
Waiting eagerly for your reply.

Hello, bobnil. First off, I have no idea what to make of "'daddy-like' explanation." Is that a light-hearted shot at my writing style? Is my tone parental? Why "daddy-like"? In any case, two independent clauses can be joined by nothing more than a comma. It is a stylistic choice and is seen often in both literature and professional nonfiction. It even has a name: asyndeton. A popular example is the translated line I came, I saw, I conquered. I would play it safe on the GMAT™, however, and look for the conjunction (or semicolon) to join two independent clauses. The point is, do not be too quick to write something off simply because it is unfamiliar. Look for easier targets first, such as subject-verb agreement issues. To answer the second question, again, no, the conjunction and is not strictly necessary to join parallel elements. I even have an official question at hand to refer you to, the same one I mentioned in an earlier competition post: Sartre, an inadvertent guru...

This zombie question was designed to push people outside their comfort zone. Learn the grammatical rules and conventions first. Then, study them again, gaining an appreciation along the way for just how flexible some of these conventions can actually be.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts