Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 01:53 It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2422 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AliceElric wrote:
Are the current prep exams a good indication of the verbal difficulty. Or is the real exam tougher ?

Hi AliceElric,

Good question. If we compare the many studies done on the GMAT Official Practice Exams to ESRs (Enhanced Score Reports) from the actual GMAT, then it becomes clear that the real exam is tougher in terms of scoring, on both Quant and Verbal.

For example, you can answer 10 questions wrong on GMATPrep and still score a Q50, yet despite 5 years of ESRs, we have exactly zero evidence of this happening on the real GMAT: the most we have ever seen is 6 wrong for a Q50. Similarly, you can answer up to 9 questions wrong (in a row!) on GMATPrep and yet still earn a V42. This scenario would never occur on the real GMAT, either: a V42 score correlates to only 2-5 counted questions incorrect, and I have seen scores as low as V39 with only 4 counted questions incorrect.

For more info: https://gmatclub.com/forum/psa-the-scor ... 67046.html

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 23 Aug 2021, 12:45.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 10 Sep 2021, 13:12, edited 3 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73120 [0]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
AliceElric wrote:
Are the current prep exams a good indication of the verbal difficulty. Or is the real exam tougher ?

Here is some analysis: https://gmatclub.com/forum/real-gmat-sc ... 66927.html
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Can any recent GMAT online test-takers attest to whether the lag issues are still prevalent?
Sloan MIT School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [2]
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46 (Online)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Can any recent GMAT online test-takers attest to whether the lag issues are still prevalent?

mcelroytutoring Yes, I believe they are still quite prevalent. My friend wasted 2 of his attempts because of the technical issues. In his second attempt, he could not even start the test. These were of mid August.

I also gave my test online on 27th August. I also faced lag in each of my section. But luckily, it wasn’t a lot. At max a minute per section. But in AWA, it really annoyed me. It hung at least 10 times in AWA, for 5-6 second each time. It really broke the flow.
But I guess I was lucky that I finished every section satisfactorily, I doubt that would be the case with everyone. Better to go for offline if possible.
Also, my internet speed was more than enough, I even used a lan cable. My laptop was new only and had minimal softwares on it. So I made sure there will not be an issue from my side. Even then there was some lag. It’s probably because of the secure browser software.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:

Sir I recently gave GMAT Online on 7th Sept 2021 and faced no issues . There was no single glitch. My wifi speed is 40 MBPs. Important is to have internet with strong network and good speed. Also I purchased laptop in Feb 21 as per latest configurations and majority of space in processor is unoccupied.

My entire process was smooth except during Quants section end phase wherein my proctor told me once to sit little more down on chair as my face was not visible on webcam properly once due to my height. Having said that there were no technical glitches. This was just a one off thing.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2422 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thanks for your feedback, yasharoraa and vasuca10!

It's nice to hear some positive stories in addition to the horror tales. I will say, however, that I have heard about these lag problems even from private students with super-fast internet connections, so I don't think one's connection speed is entirely to blame. Rather, it appears to be somewhat "luck of the draw" as to whether you experience any lags or other technological challenges during your GMAT online.

Thus, given the GMAT online's continued lack of an ESR option, along with its infamous reputation for technological hurdles, overly strict exam security, and lag issues, and the overall unpredictability of its content—especially on Quant—my advice for my private GMAT students remains the same: take the test-center GMAT if at all possible.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 16 Sep 2021, 10:48.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 20 Sep 2021, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 395
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, yasharoraa and vasuca10!

It's nice to hear some positive stories in addition to the horror tales. I will say, however, that I have heard about these lag problems even from private students with super-fast internet connections, so I don't think one's connection speed is entirely to blame. Rather, it appears to be somewhat "luck of the draw" as to whether you experience any technological issues or lags during your GMAT online.

Thus, given the GMAT online's continued lack of an ESR option, along with its infamous reputation for technological hurdles, overly strict exam security, and lag issues, and the overall unpredictability of its content—especially on Quant—my advice for my private GMAT students remains the same: take the test-center GMAT if at all possible.

I agree with you. It appears to be a " luck of the draw". The first time I attempted the GMAT Online (enhanced), I faced no lags at all. But, my second attempt was horrible! I used the same system and the same wired internet connection for both the attempts. I had no issues with my internet speed. Even after reading so many instances of lagging, I scheduled my second attempt for the GMAT online, because I had no issues in my first attempt. Nothing had changed from my side. But, still the second attemtp was not a pleasant one.
So, after terminating my second attempt I secheduled a third attempt using the vouched code I had recieved from GMAC. This time I used a new laptop with the same wired internet connection. This attempt was little better. Although there were cosiderable lags, I went ahead with the test.But, it got worst as soon as started the AWA section. As I started typing, the cursor would stop responding for 10 to 15 seconds and then again start responding, and the timer kept on going all the while. The proctor took ten minutes to respond to my calls. And after seeing the issuse, even he could do nothing about it. I was not able to type even 100 words in the 30 minutes.
I have requested GMAC to cancel my attempt and let me take the test centre GMAT. Lets see.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1830 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
As bad as these stories are of lag issues, we still need to hear from those who did not have any issues. The problem is that people who do not face issues do not share their experiences. Therefore, we are only left with negative stories.

Based on the few experiences shared so far, the lag issues seem to vary with region. North American testtakers seem to fare relatively well compared to those who are located outside. The lag could also be due to sporadic problems associated with the new secure browser.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73120 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hovkial wrote:
As bad as these stories are of lag issues, we still need to hear from those who did not have any issues. The problem is that people who do not face issues do not share their experiences. Therefore, we are only left with negative stories.

Based on the few experiences shared so far, the lag issues seem to vary with region. North American testtakers seem to fare relatively well compared to those who are located outside. The lag could also be due to sporadic problems associated with the new secure browser.

I agree. However, doing some analysis of recent test takers based on 70 people, who took GMAT online, 40 reported having some kind of an issue during the test in about 35 reported to have lag issues.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1830 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
bb wrote:

I agree. However, doing some analysis of recent test takers based on 70 people, who took GMAT online, 40 reported having some kind of an issue during the test in about 35 reported to have lag issues.

Where were these 70 people located? What times did they take the tests? What computer systems did they use? Over what time periods were these tests taken? How prepared were these people? etc

70 is not a representative sample. Too many variables are left undefined.

Test centers also present lag issues, for example, typed words appearing after some time and appearing bunched together. Entire sentences are deleted and never appear. This kind of lag issue is not unique to the online format.

There are other problems with test centers. Travelling, Covid, crowded rooms, inconsistent test center managers, etc.

The conclusion that people should choose the test center instead seems premature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 395
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Hovkial wrote:
bb wrote:

Where were these 70 people located? What times did they take the tests? What computer systems did they use? Over what time periods were these tests taken? How prepared were these people? etc

Test centers also present lag issues, for example, typed words appearing after some time and appearing bunched together. Entire sentences are deleted and never appear. This kind of lag issue is not unique to the online format.

There are other problems with test centers. Travelling, Covid, crowded rooms, inconsistent test center managers, etc.

The conclusion that people should choose the test center instead seems premature.

The biggest problem concerning GMAT online is the uncertainity regarding the lags. You cannot know for sure whether your GMAT online attempt will be a smooth one. You take a chance most of the times. If it goes smooth, thats great. But, if it lags, then your attempt is just a waste of time. You do not know for sure the exact resons behind the lags, so that you can try and avoid them. The system test provided by GMAC is useless to say the least.

On the other hand, the problems you mentioned with test centre GMAT can be known with greater certainity. Hence, you can prepare accordingly. So, if you are okay with all parameters you mentioned regarding the test centre GMAT, definitely prefer the test centre GMAT to online GMAT.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73120 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I feel that even if I gave your their personal details, home addresses, and all other information that I obviously do not have, it still not be enough :lol:

Hovkial wrote:
bb wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi guys, does anybody know whether if we take gmat online 2x, can we only send the one with higher score? As we cant cancel score of gmat online right

Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Send PM
indonesianfintech wrote:
Hi guys, does anybody know whether if we take gmat online 2x, can we only send the one with higher score? As we cant cancel score of gmat online right

indonesianfintech You have the option to select the scores that you wish to send for online tests once the official scores reflect on your account. You can choose any of the scores or even both to send. It’s totally upon you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
yasharoraa wrote:
indonesianfintech wrote:

indonesianfintech You have the option to select the scores that you wish to send for online tests once the official scores reflect on your account. You can choose any of the scores or even both to send. It’s totally upon you.

Does that mean schools wont be able to see the lower score?
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Send PM
indonesianfintech wrote:
yasharoraa wrote:
indonesianfintech wrote:

Does that mean schools wont be able to see the lower score?

Yes, they won’t be able to if you don’t select it while generating the report to send.

Although, it is suggested by most of the experts here that you share your lower scores as well to show your improvement.
This is a separate issue and not related to your question here though. 😊
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
yasharoraa wrote:
Although, it is suggested by most of the experts here that you share your lower scores as well to show your improvement.

I don't think it's fair to say that "most" experts here on GMAT Club will suggest you send lower GMAT scores to b-schools in addition to the highest one.

Sometimes you have no choice but to do so (if you neglected to cancel an unwanted score from an in-person exam, for example, then it will remain on your school score report for 5 years), but in most cases it's not advisable to share lower GMAT scores as well.

I have encountered scenarios in which this strategy would make sense, especially if the student is trying to build a GMAT "superscore" aka "Frankenstein score" by including their best Quant and Verbal sections (and maybe even IR and AWA too), or if the student shows a remarkable trend of improvement. However, I wouldn't recommend sending lower scores by default, especially if the lower GMAT score doesn't help one's superscore whatsoever.

My advice? When in doubt, send only your best GMAT online score to adcoms.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 21 Sep 2021, 09:19.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 24 Sep 2021, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  173   174   175   176   177  ...  183