Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 21:23 It is currently 09 May 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: IIMA'17 (II)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11676 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: GMAT PREP questions floating on the Web [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
..you should avoid any question that's been "tagged" as an Official GMAC question (until you've taken the 4 GMAC CATs or until you decide to 'research' any particular questions that you've seen on one of those CATs).

This seems to be a bit of a chicken and egg situation, because I heard that the official questions are the best ones available in quality. So, if we don't practice official questions (say from OG etc.), then which ones do we use for practice? I know there are a lot of other sources available, but would the authenticity of those questions not be under cloud?

Also, I had a related question. Can we also expect questions in Official guides to be present in GMATPrep?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Milind,

Just to clarify what you're asking about - it sounds like your concern is that you might see some of the questions that appear on the 4 GMAC practice CATs in these Forums. Seeing those questions BEFORE taking those CATs would 'spoil' each of those CATs and you'll end up with a practice score that is not realistic.

If that is what you're concerned about, then you are RIGHT to be concerned. As such, you should avoid any question that's been "tagged" as an Official GMAC question (until you've taken the 4 GMAC CATs or until you decide to 'research' any particular questions that you've seen on one of those CATs).

Since there are 4 of them, you should space them out during your study schedule, along with any other CATs that you might take. There's something to be said for saving at least one of those CATs until the latter part of your studies, but there are enough quality CATs on the market, that you have options even if you "run out" of Official CATs.

How long have you been studying?
Have you taken any of those CATs yet?
When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for your response Rich.
Well I have been studying for over 3 months now, though just stepped up the prep only in last couple of weeks.
I have taken just 1 GMAT PREP, 3 weeks back and scored 630. Planning to take another one coming weekend.
I am planning to taker GMAT a month from now.

PS: I have taken GMAT before (June 2012) and scored 670. So really looking to improve upon 670.

Thanks
M
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Milind wrote:
Hi,

I can see a number GMAT Prep authentic resources floating around here and I am sure that they are of great help in getting a real taste.

However, I have a fundamental question to ask, when should one actually attempt those questions ?

1. Doing it well in time in your preparation, will spoil the GMATPrep experience and hence you wouldn't know the actual capability as most of the questions would be familiar.

2. Generally, the GMATPreps are given in the last stage of the prep, therefore, 9 out 10 times you wouldn't have sufficient time to do them.

So when and how one can include them in his/her study plan ?

Thanks
M

When to go through the GMAT Prep questions.

As per my experience, start taking GMAT Prep mocks around 1.5 months before the actual GMAT Date with a gap of 15 days initially and then 7 days.

The point of GMATPrep is not just to know how you are doing but also to know what kind of traps used by GMAT as GMATPrep questions are very closest you can get to the actual GMAT questions. So draw inferences till you get 770-780 in GMATPrep mocks so that you have seen all the tough GMAT prep questions and will be prepared for the KILL !!

All the best :)

Thanks for your response Kinajl,
Well I agree that practicing those questions will really help in gauging the tricks the test makers use, but tyhe whole point is to WHEN should we pick them up.
In the last week before the actual test ? As, only by then I would have completed my 4 GMAT prep CATS.

Regards
M
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13458 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Milind wrote:
Hi,

I can see a number GMAT Prep authentic resources floating around here and I am sure that they are of great help in getting a real taste.

However, I have a fundamental question to ask, when should one actually attempt those questions ?

1. Doing it well in time in your preparation, will spoil the GMATPrep experience and hence you wouldn't know the actual capability as most of the questions would be familiar.

2. Generally, the GMATPreps are given in the last stage of the prep, therefore, 9 out 10 times you wouldn't have sufficient time to do them.

So when and how one can include them in his/her study plan ?

Thanks
M

I suggest that you start taking Tests from the FREE Tests of Kaplan, Veritas, GMAT CLUB and manhattan

Then subscribe to one of the test series that you like the most.

Take one or two more tests with a 100% efficiency and when you realize that you are in position to deliver your full potential in the test then take FIRST GMAT PREP. This should be taken about 20 days before the actual test date.

Having realized your level, you must keep taking the tests from the other subscribed test series and repeat the process.

This will bring the best out of you before the test. But make sure that you stop taking full length CAT 2 days before the test. Taking a full length CAT just on the day before GMAT TEST generally leaved a bad impression.

Prosper!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many Thanks for your advice Sir. :-)

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11676 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PrijitDebnath,

We're not talking about questions from the OG Books, we're talking about questions that appear on the 4 GMAC CATs. Seeing ANY of those questions BEFORE taking any of those CATs could very easily impact your scores (in most cases, 'inflating' the scores to an unrealistic level).

So you can use the OG books in any way that you like, but you have to be careful when browsing these Forums for questions that appear on the GMAC CATs.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Milind,

Can you tell me what your Scaled Scores were for the Quant and Verbal sections when you scored 670 and 630? Those numbers will provide some important information about what you should be focused on during this next month of studying.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sure Rich,

Gmat in June 2012 - 670 (84%ile)
Q - 46 (73%ile)
V - 35 (74%ile)

GmatPrep 1 in May 2015 - 630 (72%ile)
Q - 46 (71%ile)
V - 31 (59%ile)

My original plan was to revise MGMAT strategy guides along side MGMAT and GMAC CATs.
Then probably in the last go through the exhaustive list of all GMAC CAT questions that I initially asked about.

Thanks
M

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Milind,

The GMAT that you took in June, 2012 would have included 2 Essays (instead of the current version that is 1 Essay and the IR section), but much of the Quant and Verbal content is exactly the same as it was before. Since the IR section is more of a 'drain' than that second Essay used to be, it's understandable that your CAT result might be a little lower by comparison (since you were probably a bit more fatigued by the time you got to the Verbal section. The fact that these Overall scores are so close (and that your Quant Scaled Scores are identical) is a sign that you've managed to retain many of your original skills.

To improve on your 670, you're going to have to change the way you "see" (and respond to) the GMAT. The good news is that there are points to be had in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections; the bad news is that you can't keep working in the same ways and expect to score 700+. You're likely going to need to invest in some new computer-based resources to get your scores to the next level.

This next CAT score result will provide some really pointed information about what you'll need to focus on and whether you'll have to push back your Test Date to hit your goals. You should plan to post back here with those scores.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot