GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 11:19
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:
Is the increase applicable in India too?

Posted from my mobile device

Does not seem so. It appears to only apply to the US and Canada. I know EU and UK have euro and GBP based fees. Is the fee in India in local currency or is it tied to USD?
D
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 11:22
bb wrote:
GMAC is a not for profit organization. It is private but it’s not commercial.

I do have to say this is the strangest comment I’ve seen here for a while about someone wishing GMAT was run by the government.... Things are not usually cheaper than they are run by the government but they could be subsidized which means someone else is paying for it. The only way to drive the price down is to bring in more competition which is what GRE is doing and you’re welcome to take the GRE.

Honestly, I don't even know whether GMAC is what type of organization. To me, the exam is a gateway to what I want to achieve in life. For example, in India, CAT is conducted by IIMs and that essentially means conducted by Government. Does that mean it is good or bad for students? Who cares. For a serious test taker, s/he just needs smooth exam experience. And by the way CAT prices are subsided based on your caste (lol Yes, Sorry but we are India) because it is essentially run by the government.

Moral of the story. It's fine. That's how most of the things operate anyway. To a serious test taker, it won't matter.

Quote:
PS. I’m not defending their price increase especially since GRE is about half the price of the GMAT but increasing a price by 10% in 10 - 15 years is not even keeping up with inflation. They would have to raise the price by 30-40% to keep up with inflation.

I agree to this part. 10% increase in 10-15 years is not even covering the inflation. For example, I came to know yesterday that Fed tax per gallon of gas in US is 18c$. The problem is that number was introduced in 1993 ( :shocked ) so it essentially equates to 11c$ of today.

P.S: I am basically typing random things today so I will just go offline until evening. lol.

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 18:38
bb wrote:
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:

Does not seem so. It appears to only apply to the US and Canada. I know EU and UK have euro and GBP based fees. Is the fee in India in local currency or is it tied to USD?

In India 250$ will be deducted and it will be converted to Rupee + Tax.

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 18:47
Hopefully India continues to maintain the lower price point for quite a while. However the US and Canada prices are going up 10% and it’s likely to be corrected sooner or later in the remaining parts of the world.

P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 18:58
Quote:
I agree to this part. 10% increase in 10-15 years is not even covering the inflation. For example, I came to know yesterday that Fed tax per gallon of gas in US is 18c$. The problem is that number was introduced in 1993 ( :shocked ) so it essentially equates to 11c$ of today.

TheNightKing have you read about the above in the Economist? I remember reading about this exact topic this week :)
VP
VP
D
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 20:23
Quote:

TheNightKing have you read about the above in the Economist? I remember reading about this exact topic this week :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixL3mDejAYU

I learned it in this Video. I am old enough to be able to share a link on the forum lol

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 05:52
bb wrote:
I don't think so and I would suggest you don't sign up with any place that calls itself a coaching institute in the first place. :tongue_opt2

Hmm...wonder why you say so bb :?
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 06:46
well , i seem to have opened a hells gate !! :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2020, 06:52
bb wrote:
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:

Yes, in india one has to pay in USD . This is the basic problem i have with GMAC. WHen you have examination and admin centres in India, why are you making the candidate pay in USD ? The RBI reserves of US dollars go down, subsequently affecting the entire economy of the nation (the quantum may not be signficant, but still).

Further, if European candidates can pay in GBP , US candidates in USD , then why Indians are made to pay USD ?

American corporations will go to any limit to supress asian developing economies.

Just my opinion :P
Official GMAC Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 11:40
Hi all,

To clarify, this week’s announcement reflects changes only in the United States and Canada. Please visit mba.com for additional details or access our FAQ page.

Thanks,
gmac.com | mba.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 12:47
Lol true ,they making GMAT less attractive to GRE
cantaffordname wrote:
Next thing is that they will remove 2 free test and start charging.

Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 21:14
Adding to your post though this is not going to add anything valuable.
In last 10 years GMAT fee has actually increased more than 50% in INR terms. :shh: :dazed

May not be an apple to apple comparison but something that blows your mind. :|

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
bb wrote:
ShivamoggaGaganhs wrote:

Yes, in india one has to pay in USD . This is the basic problem i have with GMAC. WHen you have examination and admin centres in India, why are you making the candidate pay in USD ? The RBI reserves of US dollars go down, subsequently affecting the entire economy of the nation (the quantum may not be signficant, but still).

Further, if European candidates can pay in GBP , US candidates in USD , then why Indians are made to pay USD ?

American corporations will go to any limit to supress asian developing economies.

Just my opinion :P

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 21:17
That’s an accurate picture to report the fee in INR since there is an inflation involved as well. All currencies have an inflation component to them and some may be more or less inflated. It would be more accurate to compare it to the actual income and salary levels instead.

D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2020, 21:26
bb wrote:
That’s an accurate picture to report the fee in INR since there is an inflation involved as well. All currencies have an inflation component to them and some may be more or less inflated. It would be more accurate to compare it to the actual income and salary levels instead.

Exactly, since per capita income has increased both in India and China for example.
However, CNY has increased merely ~5% in last 10 years and maximum of ~20%(last six years).

But that's how things work i guess.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 09:30
Just a gentle remainder for all those candidates in US/Canada region, today is the last day before GMAT Price increases tomorrow (Feb 4th)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2020, 10:27
For anybody who might be curious, GMAC is a non-profit organization, and non-profits in the U.S. are required to publicly disclose quite a bit of their financial information. Here's some data: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprof ... /237084339.

Enjoy!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2020, 10:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

GMAT Price Increases to $275 Effective February 4th in US / Canada

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep