GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 06:02

R1 Decisions:

HBS Chat - Decisions will be released at Noon ET  |  UVA Darden Chat  |  YouTube Live with Cornell Johnson @11am ET

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:24
Hi,

To begin with, I have 4+ years of work experience. I don't believe that 10th/12th grades matter. My college GPA was 7.something in Mechanical Engineering(One of the top 50 colleges in India)

Work Experience: 1 year at Amazon, developed an algorithm to reduce their bad debt accrued via a-z claims. Worked with US & CA teams to accomplish the goal. Naturally, used to have long nights + extremely slow movement on actionable (obvious, since its a big org); so ended up switching.

Joined this startup (now valued at around $250 million) in 2015. Currently, I head growth marketing for it. Usually revolves around program & product management. To give a brief on what I've achieved here:
- Handled digital marketing; monthly budget of approximately $0.6 million (INR 40 Million); reduced the customer acquisition costs via all these channels by approximately 80% (no joke!) subsequently ended up getting a million installs
- Started customer referral program & customer loyalty program (end-to-end ownership of the program & the related product on digital assets)
- Current topline contribution: $2.8 Million/month
- Was a part of the team that introduced brand extensions. One (out of the seven that we launched) of the proposed brand extensions now contributes to $1 Million/month, all within 1.5 years. The remainder have also always shown a cumulative monthly growth rate of 5%, which is okay since the base is low (this number used to be zero in 2016)
- Launched a new app within the ecosystem (singular ownership), failed - reiterated the concept & frameworks in the existing app - anyone falling under that program has a retention of 85% within the next 30 days

There's a lot of firefighting and finer stuff that I can write about but I would most probably be mentioning this in my essays/CV. Now here's the problem....I got 690 (Q48, V37, IR8, AWA6) on my GMAT last year. I gave it again & faced a huge shock. My score was lower, with a noticeable deterioration in Verbal as opposed to my previous score & my mocks. I believe that this is an aberration & I should attempt GMAT again. However, I get really drained out with work & I would probably not study if this should see me through.

PS: I applied to 3 colleges last cycle with this score & I got waitlisted in all of them. At that point of time, I had not highlighted brand extension + new app/program.

If it makes any sense, I picked up a couple of hobbies in my free time in the past 1 year:
1) Playing footbal/soccer (this is out of love for the game)
2) Hiking/trekking. Have covered 7-8 forts/peaks in the past couple of months (I will be honest, I did it for the first couple of times to mention it in my application and the rest of the times because I started enjoying it)

I want to do an MBA to make a switch to VC. I have decent know how on how to scale a modern/tech business up. This knowledge combined with some on Finance + Strategy should make my switch to VC fairly achievable. McDonough is the lowest ranked school that I am comfortable applying to. Should I give GMAT another shot? Or should I build on this story and apply in Round 1? If I need to apply, can you also suggest colleges? I am not interested Harvard/Stanford/Booth/Kellog - I understand that there are a lot of other overachievers that I do not stand much of a chance against, given my slightly unfavorable GMAT score & GPA.

Any help would be appreciated. I would not mind getting enrolled with a good consultant with the application process if our thoughts are aligned.
Admission Consultant
P
Re: GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 21:05
mgcon wrote:
Hi,

To begin with, I have 4+ years of work experience. I don't believe that 10th/12th grades matter. My college GPA was 7.something in Mechanical Engineering(One of the top 50 colleges in India)

Work Experience: 1 year at Amazon, developed an algorithm to reduce their bad debt accrued via a-z claims. Worked with US & CA teams to accomplish the goal. Naturally, used to have long nights + extremely slow movement on actionable (obvious, since its a big org); so ended up switching.

Joined this startup (now valued at around $250 million) in 2015. Currently, I head growth marketing for it. Usually revolves around program & product management. To give a brief on what I've achieved here:
- Handled digital marketing; monthly budget of approximately $0.6 million (INR 40 Million); reduced the customer acquisition costs via all these channels by approximately 80% (no joke!) subsequently ended up getting a million installs
- Started customer referral program & customer loyalty program (end-to-end ownership of the program & the related product on digital assets)
- Was a part of the team that introduced brand extensions. One (out of the seven that we launched) of the proposed brand extensions now contributes to $1 Million/month, all within 1.5 years. The remainder have also always shown a cumulative monthly growth rate of 5%, which is okay since the base is low (this number used to be zero in 2016)
- Launched a new app within the ecosystem (singular ownership), failed - reiterated the concept & frameworks in the existing app - anyone falling under that program has a retention of 85% within the next 30 days

There's a lot of firefighting and finer stuff that I can write about but I would most probably be mentioning this in my essays/CV. Now here's the problem....I got 690 (Q48, V37, IR8, AWA6) on my GMAT last year. I gave it again & faced a huge shock. My score was lower, with a noticeable deterioration in Verbal as opposed to my previous score & my mocks. I believe that this is an aberration & I should attempt GMAT again. However, I get really drained out with work & I would probably not study if this should see me through.

PS: I applied to 3 colleges last cycle with this score & I got waitlisted in all of them. At that point of time, I had not highlighted brand extension + new app/program.

If it makes any sense, I picked up a couple of hobbies in my free time in the past 1 year:
2) Hiking/trekking. Have covered 7-8 forts/peaks in the past couple of months (I will be honest, I did it for the first couple of times to mention it in my application and the rest of the times because I started enjoying it)

I want to do an MBA to make a switch to VC. I have decent know how on how to scale a modern/tech business up. This knowledge combined with some on Finance + Strategy should make my switch to VC fairly achievable. McDonough is the lowest ranked school that I am comfortable applying to. Should I give GMAT another shot? Or should I build on this story and apply in Round 1? If I need to apply, can you also suggest colleges? I am not interested Harvard/Stanford/Booth/Kellog - I understand that there are a lot of other overachievers that I do not stand much of a chance against, given my slightly unfavorable GMAT score & GPA.

Any help would be appreciated. I would not mind getting enrolled with a good consultant with the application process if our thoughts are aligned.

1. In your application, drop the VC story. The reality is that the VC jobs for fresh MBA grads are few and far between, even for grads from top schools. They typically look for IB experience or a successful entrepreneur with a demonstrated exit or if you. You have neither. Even though you have done wonderful things in a start-up, its quite different from being a founder and worry about the next month's salary and going through the drill of fund-raise.

Instead, I would suggest exploring the story where you want to start on your own as an entrepreneur and build on the idea while you are in school. With your experience + the cross-functional skills acquired to run a business, you would be well placed for it. Of course, this decision needs to be made keeping various other factors in mind.

2. Regarding your GMAT, if you can manage a 20+ point increase, I'd suggest you retake. It will determine the b-schools where you can apply. You have already mentioned that you are aiming for programs within the 10-20 ranking range. All of these command a high GMAT score, especially from Indians. You've got great professional experiences, and a higher GMAT score will only strengthen your profile. Take prep classes if that helps.

We'd be happy to help you with your applications. MBA Decoder has two senior consultants who are entrepreneurs and a consultant who is a VC. Our consultants have 20+ years of industry experience, so you can really benefit from their assistance on your apps.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Re: GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:27
MBADecoder wrote:
mgcon wrote:
Hi,

1. In your application, drop the VC story. The reality is that the VC jobs for fresh MBA grads are few and far between, even for grads from top schools. They typically look for IB experience or a successful entrepreneur with a demonstrated exit or if you. You have neither. Even though you have done wonderful things in a start-up, its quite different from being a founder and worry about the next month's salary and going through the drill of fund-raise.

Instead, I would suggest exploring the story where you want to start on your own as an entrepreneur and build on the idea while you are in school. With your experience + the cross-functional skills acquired to run a business, you would be well placed for it. Of course, this decision needs to be made keeping various other factors in mind.

2. Regarding your GMAT, if you can manage a 20+ point increase, I'd suggest you retake. It will determine the b-schools where you can apply. You have already mentioned that you are aiming for programs within the 10-20 ranking range. All of these command a high GMAT score, especially from Indians. You've got great professional experiences, and a higher GMAT score will only strengthen your profile. Take prep classes if that helps.

We'd be happy to help you with your applications. MBA Decoder has two senior consultants who are entrepreneurs and a consultant who is a VC. Our consultants have 20+ years of industry experience, so you can really benefit from their assistance on your apps.

Hi Namita,

I understand that getting into a VC firm will not make any sense as a short term goal, since it is practically impossible. The short term goal would be to get a leadership role in a larger organization (preferably 5-10x more revenue than my current one). I however do understand that VCs are snobs when it comes to recruiting folks & the emphasis that they place on graduation colleges if the candidate has not taken an entrepreneurial path in the past. Having said that, I am able to figure out that a better score is advisable before applying and I totally understand that. Thanks for your inputs. I will connect with you guys over the email ID shared in the signature.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37) &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 10:27

GMAT Retake? 4+ Years Work Experience - GMAT 690 (Q48, V37)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap