Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: ISB '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Re: GMAT target score? [#permalink]
more than 700 is always a plus :) Best of Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: ISB '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
GMAT target score? [#permalink]
MBAkarma thanks for your detailed response! I'm somewhat clear on what goals I am targeting post MBA, I'll definitely work on articulating it better.

For explaining work experience, I can't put a lot of it on an internet forum because of the extremely proprietary nature of my current job :)

You really did touch all the points I was hoping to hear, thanks a lot!

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
TimeKitten wrote:
Hi, I have one month to my first GMAT attempt and I'm currently sitting at a diagnostic score of 730.

Profile summary:
25F

95% in both X and XII boards (CBSE)
BITS Pilani EEE (6.7 CGPA)

Risk Analyst at a Fortune 50 Fintech (total workex 2-3 years, been promoted once already).

Been club lead/volunteer at a couple places in college but don't have much to show in terms of extra curricular achievements. I hold a diploma in creative arts while I was in school but not sure if that would count.

I intend to stay in tech
(DS/PM profiles) post MBA as well.

Given my profile, what GMAT score should I be targeting if I want to join in the 2023-24 year? My only concern here are my UG grades.

TimeKitten hi, hope this finds you well. I think you meant to say that you want to join the 2024 intake.

A diagnostic score of 730 is undoubtedly a positive indication. If I am being honest, Adcom takes your low GPA into consideration (less than 7 will evoke some thought). But the good thing is that Bits Pilani is a very strong undergrad pedigree. A low GPA could potentially be one of the factors that put applicants from overrepresented pools on waitlists. Therefore, it's important not to underestimate the significance of a high GMAT score although it's not the sole determining factor.

In addition, make sure to highlight your career progression clearly in your essays, especially considering that your work experience may be on the lower side. Focus on incremental responsibilities, increased challenges in a diverse range of projects, successful outcomes, and stakeholder management over the past 2-3 years. It would be beneficial to showcase a unique "hook factor" in your profile.

Since you are interested in tech, deliberate why would you need a PGP/MBA coming from Fintech. This should also get you to think about reasons that truly motivate you to apply to a particular school. How is the B School positioned in a particular industry? Think about your goals that are aspirational but also inspirational at the same time. How can you utilize your skills and vision to solve a problem in the future?

Feel free to connect should you need guidance.

Best wishes
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
TimeKitten wrote:
Hi, I have one month to my first GMAT attempt and I'm currently sitting at a diagnostic score of 730.

Profile summary:
25F

Risk Analyst at a Fortune 50 Fintech (total workex 2-3 years, been promoted once already).

Been club lead/volunteer at a couple places in college but don't have much to show in terms of extra curricular achievements. I hold a diploma in creative arts while I was in school but not sure if that would count.

I intend to stay in tech

Given my profile, what GMAT score should I be targeting if I want to join in the 2023-24 year? My only concern here are my UG grades.

Based on your profile, let's evaluate your chances for the Indian School of Business (ISB) PGP program and discuss the GMAT score you should aim for, considering your undergraduate grades.

- Your impressive 95% in both X and XII CBSE boards will reflect positively on your application. However, your 6.7 CGPA from BITS Pilani in EEE might be a concern in the competitive applicant pool. To offset this, focus on scoring as high as possible on your GMAT and consider explaining any challenges you faced during your undergraduate studies in the optional essay.
- With a diagnostic score of 730, you're already in a good position, as the average GMAT score for ISB is around 720. To improve your chances further, especially with your undergraduate grades, aim for a score of 730 or above. This will help showcase your academic potential and make your application more competitive. Remember - diagnostic scores don't always translate to final scores, so ensure you have some margin before you take the test (i.e. you are scoring consistently in the 750+ range).
- Your 2-3 years of experience as a Risk Analyst at a Fortune 50 Fintech company is a valuable addition to your profile. Your promotion indicates your ability to excel professionally. Be sure to emphasize your accomplishments, impact, and growth in your application.
- Although your extracurricular achievements may not be extensive, your involvement as a club lead/volunteer in college and your diploma in creative arts during school can still contribute positively to your profile. Use these experiences to demonstrate your interests, skills, and commitment to personal growth.
- On goals, your intention to stay in tech (DS/PM profiles) post-MBA is clear and aligns with your current work experience. In your application, discuss how an MBA from ISB will help you develop the skills and network necessary to achieve your goals. Be specific about the resources and opportunities at ISB that will support your professional growth. For example, be clear about the question on why you need an MBA at all given your background and future goals, and why you can't organically grow to those roles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi there,

If you are able to pull off a score close to your diagnostic one, we think it should suffice. Please note that mean GMAT score of ISB's 2023 Class is 720 with the mid 80% range being 690-760. Overall, you have a competitive profile.

Positives:
1. Tier-1 undergrad college
2. Ability to show good career progression
3. # years of work ex.- Almost in the sweet spot of 3-5 years
4. Post MBA aspirations- achievable (story line can be built to show a clear path including how ISB would help achieve these goals)

Cons:
1. Undergrad CGPA- This can be countered by a GMAT score of 720+

Can't comment:
1. Work experience: Given the proprietary nature of your job, we don't have lot of information available on this forum and hence would not be able to evaluate the quality and how differentiable your experience is compared to other profiles

Hope this was helpful! Feel free to ping us in case of any questions.
We are a bunch of ISB alums who help potential ISB candidates with profile positioning, essays review and interview mocks.

With warm regards,
Team Fly
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
TimeKitten wrote:

Profile summary:
25F

I intend to stay in tech

Hello TimeKitten,

To offset your low GPA, a score in excess of 730 is what you should be targetting in order to have a good shot at receiving an interview call from ISB; needless, to say, having a strong overall application is a given.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot