Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V32
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT value after getting into ISB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sk34 wrote:
Hello,

I have an admit from ISB through their YLP programme. However, my GMAT score is really low- 610.

I am not sure if the score will be a problem once I get in for my placements.

I am looking at consulting or marketing profiles. Please help if the score would be a drawback once I start my schooling and if I have to take my GMAT again.

Thank you.
Best,
sk34

Hi sk34

You should try and raise the score. While it may not be as important for Marketing roles, it will certainly be a factor in Consulting roles.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
sk34 wrote:
Hello,

I have an admit from ISB through their YLP programme. However, my GMAT score is really low- 610.

I am looking at consulting or marketing profiles. Please help if the score would be a drawback once I start my schooling and if I have to take my GMAT again.

Thank you.
Best,
sk34

HI Sk34,

First of all congratulations for the admit with a 610 GMAT score. You must have a super cool profile to have this result despite the GMAT score. Which brings me to your question.
You got all this way with your GMAT score- I am sure most of us here would have written you off on the basis of that score alone. Why retake? Will it be a hurdle in your future life? If not, why waste a few hundred $$$$ for no value? If however, your future job requires a GMAT score - I know consulting does- then retake.

If ISB has the confidence in your abilities despite this score, then treat it as such and let the matter rest.

You'd soon be interacting with the ISB faculty and career services for the YLP - get their opinion on the value of GMAT for you. If they strongly suggest you should take it, then go ahead. Otherwise there are better past times in life.

P.s. - just reread you are keen on consulting roles. even in that scenario, wait a bit. People often change career goals - you still have two years to go (and figure this) before you join ISB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
sk34 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.
Best,
sk34

If you have enough time, why dont you retake GMAT exam to guarantee your chance. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Hi sk34, your GMAT score doesn't matter, if you have already gotten an admit to ISB.

If you are aspiring for Consulting scores, it is not your GMAT score, but your academic performance at ISB that matters. So, if you believe that your current GMAT score is not reflective of your academic potential and that you are capable of emerging in the top 5-7% of the batch (in terms of academic performance) at ISB, then there are good chances that your aspiration of getting a job in Consulting will be realized.

On the other hand, if you (hypothetically) do get a sterling GMAT score, but don't do well (academically) at ISB, then chances are not bright that your aspiration of getting a job in Consulting will be realized.

So, in either case, your GMAT score doesn't matter; it's your academic performance at ISB that matters. In best case scenario, great GMAT score is at best a good-to-have and not a must-have.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived ISB Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our ISB Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated ISB Forum for all fresh things related to the ISB MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts