Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: GMATBusters' GMAT Quant Quiz 2.0 [#permalink]
Kudos
vtexcelgmat wrote:
Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel
To infer from this an earlier incorrect response is preferred over a correct response made few seconds/min later.

Well m no one to object to any of the moderators rules/ regulation but for later rounds of competition ,I guess people will refrain from making post if someone already made a reply to the question assuming that they missed the opportunity to reply , even if it’s a few minutes . This isn’t going to encourage more participation.

Adding to that - the rules on your first page has been modified only today to incorporate aggregate score sort of thing . So if the winners are already decided in advance and the rules will be bend to justify the same , then from next round onwards I think we should avoid being a part of the competition. The rules should mention the scoring criteria / aggregate score calculation to make things transparent for everyone..

Posted from my mobile device

I express solidarity with Sunnyarya 's opinion and second it.

I too agree in context of participation & rules.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for participating in the quiz:

• The rules have not been modified , the earlier responses always get more points since the onset of the quiz.
  • yes, when you asked, the same has been described explicitly by providing an example, that if one answers all right but quite late, one is not eligible for the Prize.
  • Is the time pressure unfair? well sorry but this time pressure is the real game for GMAT, if we remove time pressure GMAT is not a tough exam.
  • Well, yes this Quiz is tough owing to time pressure and it has been designed to be tough. so, that only the deserving participants can get it.
  • if we remove the time pressure and count the number of the correct answer then we have to resort to the random draw as I did for 2 verbal quizzes. But I don't want the winner to be Random. So, I had to stop the quiz.

Happy Learning

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel
To infer from this an earlier incorrect response is preferred over a correct response made few seconds/min later.

Well m no one to object to any of the moderators rules/ regulation but for later rounds of competition ,I guess people will refrain from making post if someone already made a reply to the question assuming that they missed the opportunity to reply , even if it’s a few minutes . This isn’t going to encourage more participation.

Adding to that - the rules on your first page has been modified only today to incorporate aggregate score sort of thing . So if the winners are already decided in advance and the rules will be bend to justify the same , then from next round onwards I think we should avoid being a part of the competition. The rules should mention the scoring criteria / aggregate score calculation to make things transparent for everyone..

GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sunnyarya !!!!

I just realized you have not even participated in the Quiz. Not even a single question in any of the quizzes. :shock:

But now it is all sorted out, now you got the rules Crystal Clear. Now you can participate with full preparation.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @Bunnel
Thanks for conducting the competition.
Regarding the winner list, I think something is missed on the part of the moderators.
NikuHBS and Urshi answer to question 5 ( an agency ...) and ques 4( work w1...) respectively are wrong , still the winner list says something else ...

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [3]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBusters

I'd like to add that GMATClub has members all around the world and so the fastest finger first criteria is extremely unfair to participants not living in or around the IST region

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBusters wrote:

• The rules have not been modified , the earlier responses always get more points since the onset of the quiz.
  • yes, when you asked, the same has been described explicitly by providing an example, that if one answers all right but quite late, one is not eligible for the Prize.
  • Is the time pressure unfair? well sorry but this time pressure is the real game for GMAT, if we remove time pressure GMAT is not a tough exam.
  • Well, yes this Quiz is tough owing to time pressure and it has been designed to be tough. so, that only the deserving participants can get it.
  • if we remove the time pressure and count the number of the correct answer then we have to resort to the random draw as I did for 2 verbal quizzes. But I don't want the winner to be Random. So, I had to stop the quiz.

Happy Learning

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel

Yes, the fastest finger first criteria should be applied to determine among individuals with all correct responses (as a replacement for random draw as in case of verbal quiz), and not to award individuals with incorrect response just cuz they made a post (the quality of post criteria - won't be met in such cases i guess- Which is too a criteria for determining winners ).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
MayankSingh wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

Happy Learning

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel

Yes, the fastest finger first criteria should be applied to determine among individuals with all correct responses (as a replacement for random draw as in case of verbal quiz), and not to award individuals with incorrect response just cuz they made a post (the quality of post criteria - won't be met in such cases i guess- Which is too a criteria for determining winners ).

MayankSingh makes perfect sense here.

Sunnyarya ,
Thanks for sharing your concerns. You have been actually helpful.

It is better to make the rules 'crystal clear' before the quiz commences in contrast to clarify them later.
This will help community members take a better informed decision about participating in the quiz.
(especially in an environment in which sometimes there is 'random selection' and sometimes 'fastest-finger-first')
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
vtexcelgmat wrote:
MayankSingh wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

Happy Learning

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel

Sunnyarya ,

It is better to make the rules 'crystal clear' before the quiz commences in contrast to clarify them later.
This will help community members take a better informed decision about participating in the quiz.
(especially in an environment in which sometimes there is 'random selection' and sometimes 'fastest-finger-first')

It might be offending to many but here it goes.

1. Everyone is ganging up now (especially the ones who have not even taken the quiz) because they failed to win. The quiz has been running for almost 8 months now and I believe there has been a fair evaluation till date.
2. The ‘fastest finger first’ has always been the criteria right from the initiation and cannot be changed because it seems unfair to many who could not wake up/participate at THEIR convenient time of the quiz.
3. The quiz is attempted by many even after the completion of the time window, solely to learn from these high quality questions. The rewards are the byproducts of the participation.
4. The quiz is conducted for the benefit of all but just because one cannot attempt it at their convenient time should not be a factor to deter GMATBusters from conducting such quizzes.
5. The incorrect answers definitely don’t get the points but the moderator cannot wait for everyone’s convenience and then evaluate. Some rules have been set before and are being followed for a fair dissipation of the reward. I would advise (if someone is still not offended by my post) to take the quiz at the time specified, in the manner conveyed, and with an objective to learn from the same rather than argue for the rules that are inconvenient.

I really felt offended by the actions of the few (who have not even taken the quiz) to create ruckus on such a beautiful platform and especially at the time when I won it.
Such issues were not faced before and don’t know why have been initiated this particular time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
NikuHBS wrote:
vtexcelgmat wrote:
MayankSingh wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

Happy Learning

Sunnyarya wrote:
GMATBusters bb @bunnel

Sunnyarya ,

It might be offending to many but here it goes.

1. Everyone is ganging up now (especially the ones who have not even taken the quiz) because they failed to win. The quiz has been running for almost 8 months now and I believe there has been a fair evaluation till date.
2. The ‘fastest finger first’ has always been the criteria right from the initiation and cannot be changed because it seems unfair to many who could not wake up/participate at THEIR convenient time of the quiz.
3. The quiz is attempted by many even after the completion of the time window, solely to learn from these high quality questions. The rewards are the byproducts of the participation.
4. The quiz is conducted for the benefit of all but just because one cannot attempt it at their convenient time should not be a factor to deter GMATBusters from conducting such quizzes.
5. The incorrect answers definitely don’t get the points but the moderator cannot wait for everyone’s convenience and then evaluate. Some rules have been set before and are being followed for a fair dissipation of the reward. I would advise (if someone is still not offended by my post) to take the quiz at the time specified, in the manner conveyed, and with an objective to learn from the same rather than argue for the rules that are inconvenient.

I really felt offended by the actions of the few (who have not even taken the quiz) to create ruckus on such a beautiful platform and especially at the time when I won it.
Such issues were not faced before and don’t know why have been initiated this particular time.

Hey NikuHBS - Sry if my earlier response to this post offended you.

Just to clarify if u mean to include me in your response:

* The test window is of 48 hrs, so that means moderators will wait for that time frame before evaluating ... ( u can check the same on rule page)

* Regarding the prize: M already having empowergmat subscription ( Thanks to GMATBusters earlier quiz) so m not interested in the prize that is being offered. Replies were just for learning purpose. Infact many others who replied to answers in the quiz would also be having empowergmat subscription as they were the winners of previous round of this competition. So prize is immaterial ...

# so the point being put forward is not for the reward but ensure maximum participation and a better competition.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MayankSingh wrote:

* The test window is of 48 hrs, so that means moderators will wait for that time frame before evaluating ... ( u can check the same on rule page)

* Regarding the prize: M already having empowergmat subscription ( Thanks to GMATBusters earlier quiz) so m not interested in the prize that is being offered. Replies were just for learning purpose. Infact many others who replied to answers in the quiz would also be having empowergmat subscription as they were the winners of previous round of this competition. So prize is immaterial ...

# so the point being put forward is not for the reward but ensure maximum participation and a better competition.

Hi MayankSingh,
No, the post was not intended to offend you. I was the one who was offended by the actions of the others.
I totally agree to your point that the prize is immaterial and learning is of paramount importance. I totally agree that many who participated in the quiz might have won the coveted prizes.

I would disagree that the quiz is for 48 hours. The quiz is just for 12 hours.

I am sure that many who want to participate in the competition would not find an excuse of time but the quiz cannot be kept open for long also because that itself would defeat the whole purpose of the quiz. Then there won’t be any motivation for the moderator.

The quiz is conducted on Sunday (IST) or Saturday (Eastern time). This time window is the most suitable for all (including the working professionals).
So, not making an attempt to participate in the quiz at the prescribed time (conveyed much before when the quiz was started last year) shows the unwillingness of the few to win the prize but still create a ruckus out of it. Those who want to participate and win the prize do make time one just one day of their entire schedule.

GMATBusters must’ve got many PMs regarding the same and must’ve taken appropriate measures. Rest is upto him because he is the one who is also feeling hurt because despite putting so much effort, an issue is being made by those who find the quiz time inconvenient for them and quiz rules and scoring inappropriate just because they have not participated and not won either.

I rest my case here. Hope to see maximum participation in the quizzes and a healthy competition rather than another ruckus being created by the few who don’t participate.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
NikuHBS wrote:
MayankSingh wrote:

Hi MayankSingh,
No, the post was not intended to offend you. I was the one who was offended by the actions of the others.
I totally agree to your point that the prize is immaterial and learning is of paramount importance. I totally agree that many who participated in the quiz might have won the coveted prizes.

I would disagree that the quiz is for 48 hours. The quiz is just for 12 hours.

I am sure that many who want to participate in the competition would not find an excuse of time but the quiz cannot be kept open for long also because that itself would defeat the whole purpose of the quiz. Then there won’t be any motivation for the moderator.

The quiz is conducted on Sunday (IST) or Saturday (Eastern time). This time window is the most suitable for all (including the working professionals).
So, not making an attempt to participate in the quiz at the prescribed time (conveyed much before when the quiz was started last year) shows the unwillingness of the few to win the prize but still create a ruckus out of it. Those who want to participate and win the prize do make time one just one day of their entire schedule.

GMATBusters must’ve got many PMs regarding the same and must’ve taken appropriate measures. Rest is upto him because he is the one who is also feeling hurt because despite putting so much effort, an issue is being made by those who find the quiz time inconvenient for them and quiz rules and scoring inappropriate just because they have not participated and not won either.

I rest my case here. Hope to see maximum participation in the quizzes and a healthy competition rather than another ruckus being created by the few who don’t participate.

Hey NikuHBS

I didn't mean to take any credit away from you. Congrats on winning.

My point is just that a there are lot of time zones between Indian and Eastern Time Zones (Europe/Middle East/Africa for example) where the competition would begin in the middle of the night. So in these parts, the competition is over before it even begins. So it is just a suggestion from me to shift some emphasis off the first reply so that more participation is encouraged.

That being said, the final decision is obviously with the host and I fully respect that
GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
First of all, I am really feeling happy that GMATBusters Quiz is talk of the day and is not an invisible thread anymore :cool:
I realized the importance of the Quiz. It is not an invisible event. :inlove: :inlove:

Thanks for the feedback, it makes us improve, as does appreciation.

However many a time, even the winner didn't make a post to acknowledge the efforts. Framing/finding quality problems, posting in the morning, evaluating the responses is quite a task, but never mind. It was my decision to start this quiz event and will continue to host the same.

Yes, GMATclub has participants around the globe and I agree that the quiz cannot cater to every time zone. In order to make it cater to max people, I have changed the quiz timings to 7:30 AM morning IST. (Sunday early morning? :dazed Am I crazy? Yes I have to wake up early to post the questions as there is no way to schedule the post.)

The time essence has already been associated with GMATBusters Quiz. Yes for the verbal quiz, time essence has been removed as per the recommendation of empower and we had to resort to the random draw as many people got the same points. But the random draw is what I don't like. So Time essence is here to stay.

The earlier response always gets more score and will continue to get more score. Yes, the score will be calculated only for the participants who get max number of question right :thumbsup: ( I can not put the condition of all right answers, because many times, No one gets all right, but it is ok, it is quite a tough quiz.)

I would request all the aspirants to treat this quiz as a mock and not participate only for the prizes.
Anyone who gets 7-8 questions right in the first go (no revision in the solution) will definitely get Q49+. I am saying this as per the experience of many of my students.

Be cheerful and Learn with Fun

Happy Learning.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [3]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Well if it makes anything better, I have been participating in the quiz past couple of time in hope to be one of the rankers, but always ending up being a sore loser. I tried pretty hard every single time, focused on Quant section, So can say i am practically insane after quant, a few days back when i got the notification, i was adamant to win this at any cost. The most difficult task was to wake early morning, yes 7:30 IST ( and i hate mornings) i woke up at 7 and participated like a normal participant would have, i seriously thought i will be one of the rankers this time. But see I got promoted as moderator on same day later at night. And as the rules suggest Moderator can't be the winner.
and the highlight was, i actually scored 2nd position. So morale is don't worry about the after effect. I know that sounds like movie dialogue, but Life is all about unpredictability. we can work, we can hope, but can't change destiny. Let's work harder for the main Goal, That is GMAT.
Also, Good Luck for future Quizzes as well, I am sure GMATBusters will organize such quiz more often, seeing the no. of participant they have, Plus you guys have one less competitor now. XD :lol:
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Are you ready for tomorrow's Quiz?

Winner of the GMATBusters' GMAT Quant Quiz 2.0 will get the following Prizes:

A. First Position: TTP - 4 month validity Complete Quant prep Course -( 299$)

B. 2 Runner ups : GMAT Club test Subscription for one month

Also, All 3 top performers will get Flat 25% discount on GMATBusters Tutoring Sessions.
GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Rules of the Quiz

1) Only a complete solution will be evaluated, partial solution or only the Answer option will not be evaluated.
2) The Score would be calculated only for the participants with max correct responses.
3) The Score depends on the earliest response. The Scores would be calculated as follows:
i) The first correct answer to a question gets 4 points.
ii) The second correct answer to a question gets 3 points.
iii) The third correct answer to a question gets 2 points.
iv) The fourth correct answer to a question gets 1 point.

The max score would be the criterion for the winner selection.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

We are feeling excited to announce the winners of GMATBusters' GMAT Quant Quiz 2.0

A. NikuHBS :First Position: TTP - 4 month validity Complete Quant prep Course -( 299$)

B. monikakumar, urshi: GMAT Club test Subscription for one month

Also, All Quiz participants will get Flat 25% discount on GMATBusters Tutoring Sessions.

Thank you for participating!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBusters

Thank you very much. Really appreciate the efforts you put up for the quality questions.

ScottTargetTestPrep

Thank you for awarding the prize

What’s the next step I have to take? Kindly guide

Originally posted by NikuHBS on 14 Jul 2020, 00:30.
Last edited by NikuHBS on 14 Jul 2020, 01:01, edited 5 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts