Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [33]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: [HOW TO] GMATPrep 2012: obtain exam logs, timing, AWA essay. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey
Right now I dont have gmatprep installed.
I ll do it and check it out.
But just to satisfy my instantaneous curiosity, what is the content of the question pool?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@bb
Thanks for all you've done here - I have benefited immensely from your contributions - this is my little 'thank you' to the community.

@souvik101990
I haven't managed to open the question pool database, yet. I only managed to discover to unwrap the software one day before my real GMAT (which was yesterday!). We'll get there soon I'm sure :wink:
However, the questions in this version (2012) seem identical to those in GMATPrep v2. I think someone already retrieved/compiled those questions (or was this GMATPrep v1?).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Leadership, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Very insightful. Thank you. Kudos awarded :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
this looks pretty useful. any idea how do i locate this file on mac?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
How to locate log files on MAC? Did not see any posts for MAC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
You can find the MAC files here: ~/Library/Preferences/GMATPrep/Local Store

To get to this directory, open a Finder, press Shift-CMD-G and copy and page the address above in the box. On MAC, the filename is preptool.db (not pretool.vb).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
In used items I foung only a couple of sentences from my essay. Are there any other tables I can look at?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
BalajiVarma wrote:
Any inputs.How to access it on MAC?

kkma2000 wrote:
Hi all,

Many of us have been seeking to obtain exam logs once you exit the test on the new GMAT Prep software (2.1.279) which is based on Adobe Air. The software does NOT let you see the info once you exit the test review screen. Here's how to get the question numbers, your answer choices, timing per question etc. Importantly, this is the only way (to my knowledge) of recovering the text of your AWA essay which you wrote during each practice test.

GMATPrep 2012 saves a file called ‘preptool.vb’ in the following (hidden) directory:
C:\Users\[replace this with your name]\AppData\Roaming\GMATPrep\Local Store\

This ‘preptool.vb’ file is the log and can be opened using a SQL viewer/editor. I used 'SQLite Database Browser 2.0' (google it - no URLs allowed, yet!)
1. Open the file with SQLite browser.
2. Click on the 'browse data' tab then select the 'table' of interest. The exam log is saved under 'used_items'.
3. Export the data (File>Export>table as CSV file). You can also browse the data without exporting.
4. Open the CSV file with Excel and you have everything you need. Answer choices and timing for each question.

Sections are numbered as: 1. AWA, 2. Quantitative, 3. Verbal, 4. IR. Peculiarly, questions are numbered from '0' not '1'. Quant questions numbers are prefixed with '187:', verbal with '188:' and IR with '211:'. Time is displayed in seconds.

Finally, the log contains the data from both tests. I haven't tried ‘re-setting’ the tests to see if the program keeps adding data to the same 'preptool.vb' file so you should copy this file to another location before re-setting (just in case it does delete your first two attempts).

There are other potentially useful data in the other tables but I haven't got round to exploring them yet.

Enjoy! I hope this helps :-)

PS. the (hidden) question pool is listed in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\pack0\pack0.db
PPS. there is a (hidden) file, intriguingly called 'scoring.db', in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\

Here is a guide to getting all the times from the GMATprep software.
1. Download "sqlitebrowser" or an equivalent software for navigating databases. Install the program
2. Navigate to the folder that contains database by:
a) opening Finder
b) clicking on Go, and then "Go to Folder..."
c) type in "~/Library/Preferences/GMATPrep"
3. Click on the "Local Store" folder and select "Make Alias" (we need to do this step because the database browsing app, mentioned in step 1, won't allow you to enter an address)
4. Drag this alias to your desktop
5. Open sqlitebrowser and click on "Open Database" (second button from the left)
6. Navigate to your desktop and click double click on the Alias folder you just created and navigate to the "Local Store" folder (if you followed the instructions above correctly you should be here already). Now select "preptool.db" and click open.
7. Now select "Used_Items" in the window on the right (scroll down, I'm not 100% sure if this step is necessary). From the menu bar, click on "File", then "Exports", and then "Table(s) as CSV file" (see attached screenshot).
8. Open the file with excel
9. take some time to understand what it and you're all set!

Extra notes:
1. its easy to find your sessions because they are all numbered
2. Question numbering starts from 0 (i.e. question 3 will be number 2 in the CSV file)
3. All times are in seconds, you can easily convert it to minutes and seconds (google search it)
4. I like using conditional formatting for the times. So that you can see the where you went wrong.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 5.33.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 5.33.15 PM.png [ 870.12 KiB | Viewed 12021 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Send PM
kkma2000 wrote:
Hi all,

Many of us have been seeking to obtain exam logs once you exit the test on the new GMAT Prep software (2.1.279) which is based on Adobe Air. The software does NOT let you see the info once you exit the test review screen. Here's how to get the question numbers, your answer choices, timing per question etc. Importantly, this is the only way (to my knowledge) of recovering the text of your AWA essay which you wrote during each practice test.

GMATPrep 2012 saves a file called ‘preptool.vb’ in the following (hidden) directory:
C:\Users\[replace this with your name]\AppData\Roaming\GMATPrep\Local Store\

This ‘preptool.vb’ file is the log and can be opened using a SQL viewer/editor. I used 'SQLite Database Browser 2.0' (google it - no URLs allowed, yet!)
1. Open the file with SQLite browser.
2. Click on the 'browse data' tab then select the 'table' of interest. The exam log is saved under 'used_items'.
3. Export the data (File>Export>table as CSV file). You can also browse the data without exporting.
4. Open the CSV file with Excel and you have everything you need. Answer choices and timing for each question.

Sections are numbered as: 1. AWA, 2. Quantitative, 3. Verbal, 4. IR. Peculiarly, questions are numbered from '0' not '1'. Quant questions numbers are prefixed with '187:', verbal with '188:' and IR with '211:'. Time is displayed in seconds.

Finally, the log contains the data from both tests. I haven't tried ‘re-setting’ the tests to see if the program keeps adding data to the same 'preptool.vb' file so you should copy this file to another location before re-setting (just in case it does delete your first two attempts).

There are other potentially useful data in the other tables but I haven't got round to exploring them yet.

Enjoy! I hope this helps :-)

PS. the (hidden) question pool is listed in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\pack0\pack0.db
PPS. there is a (hidden) file, intriguingly called 'scoring.db', in C:\Program Files (x86)\GMATPrep2012\

HI kkma2000
Hoping you still here!
I have downloaded my SQL. However, I could find the GMAT software from the location you told+ I was stuck at the process no.2 Once i clicked on table..it does not allows me to. Button turned grey..please advice! Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Sorry to bump this one, just curious if score and correct answers can be deduced from 'used_items.csv' export?

I have an export from one of my practice test and that's kinda of lost now :(

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot