GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Where should I attend?

• 33% [2]
  • 0% [0]
  • 66% [4]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.07
Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 07:12
Hello All,

I have a tough decision ahead of me (although it's a great situation to be in, mind you), and I was hoping I could get some insight from this great community. I will try and be as detailed yet concise as possible to avoid a terribly long post:

I have been admitted to Emory with about 1/3 scholarship, admitted to Kelley (am still waiting on package to see if I received any scholarship), and am still waiting to hear back from McCombs. But for discussion purposes, and timing purposes for deposits, lets assume I am admitted to McCombs (knock on wood!).

I am currently living in the Northeast. I eventually would like to be back in the Northeast, however I would like to be in a different city for a few years AFTER graduation. So I'm not looking to get back to the Northeast for quite some time.

Post MBA, I am looking to go into brand management within the CPG industry. While this is my goal as of right now, I also understand that this might change once I begin school and get exposure to different industries (i.e. product management in tech industry). But for now, I have my eyes set on brand management for a CPG.

I know that Kelley has a great reputation for sending brand managers to CPGs, particularly in the Midwest. Marketing is really their bread and butter. Emory is not far behind, and my research shows that they send a good amount of students into that industry as well. I think of the three, McCombs is the lowest for sending students into that role for CPG (correct me if I'm wrong).

These three schools seem to get the "regional" stamp from what I've researched. One of the biggest questions I don't have an answer to is where I want to end up post-MBA. But one question I have is how much does the location of these schools ACTUALLY matter? For example, I've heard of a good amount of Emory students landing jobs at top CPG companies in the Midwest. I've also heard some Kelley students landing jobs in the South in Texas and Southeast in Atlanta. If I had my mind dead-set on one company, it would make this decision a little easier - but, as you can see from this post, I don't know what company I'd like to end up at, and I would be happy at any large, well-known CPG company. Out of these three schools, which would open the most doors for me as a future brand manager in the CPG space (and not just the region where the school resides)? For example, is it easier to go out of region to find a job coming from Kelley? Or is it just as easy/difficult to go out of region from Emory/McCombs? So I guess I'm asking out of these schools, which would tie me most to the region which it resides? I am nervous that whichever school I chose, that is most likely where I will end up post-MBA, and I'm just not ready to make that commitment yet to a location post-MBA.

Another factor to consider is brand/rankings and network. As I mentioned earlier, I'd eventually like to be back in the northeast. 2-4 years after graduation, and I'm looking to try and make my way back, which of these schools may make it easier to make that happen? McCombs has consistently been ranked the highest, with Emory/Kelley not too far behind. But Emory I think has better brand reputation nationally than the other two.

I do have a significant other that is considering coming with me for my time at school, but only if she can find an opportunity that is worth it to leave her current job. Obviously Austin and Atlanta will have more opportunities for her than Bloomington. This isn't one of the biggest factors, but one to consider.

So as you can see, I am really torn between these three. And my attempt to make this a non-lengthy post failed. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. And let me know if I can shed any more light on my situation/mindset that I didn't share above.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 11:59
Hey studenthopeful ,

Congratulations for the great admits. I am assuming you are a domestic candidate. If so, consider my advice below:

1. Kelley is know for marketing opportunities while Emory for Consulting. So, see which one aligns with your goals more. McCombs is for more towards Tech
2. Brand isn't really a big problem. All are best at their own specialities.
3. I will go to the one that is most economical for me and more aligns to what I want to do post MBA.

All the best and keep us posted! :-)
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge
Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 12:17
abhimahna wrote:
Hey studenthopeful ,

Congratulations for the great admits. I am assuming you are a domestic candidate. If so, consider my advice below:

1. Kelley is know for marketing opportunities while Emory for Consulting. So, see which one aligns with your goals more. McCombs is for more towards Tech
2. Brand isn't really a big problem. All are best at their own specialities.
3. I will go to the one that is most economical for me and more aligns to what I want to do post MBA.

All the best and keep us posted! :-)

Hi abhimahna

You are best ambassador I have ever seen for Emory. But how can you find time to participate in GMAT club? I assume you are too busy :-D

Wish you all best
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2018, 12:17

Goizueta vs. Kelley vs. McCombs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste