It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA from GMAC - How authentic?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 34

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
GPA from GMAC - How authentic? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 22:20
Fellow experts, recently GMAC uploaded this guidance for candidates to convert their marks to a 4 point US GPA equivalent.

Now as per this guidance anyone with higher than 60% has a 4.0 GPA in US scale, and it has left me perplexed. I have a 6.9/10 Cumulative Performance Index, which translates to 66.53 percentage marks as per my University provided formula, i.e. First Division from the chart below. I was in the bottom 50% of my class with this score, and I intended to address this in my optional essay. I wasn't serious towards studies in my school, and I was working part-time for financial reasons.

However, if my GPA anyhow is as good as what GMAC suggests, i.e. 4.0 :), there's no point in addressing it in optional essay.

Please guide.
Attachments

GPA Conversion Table.PNG
GPA Conversion Table.PNG [ 271.89 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 00:31
There is some truth to this - WES also considers scores higher than 60% to be equivalent to a GPA of 4.0 on the 4.0 scale.

Having said this, we have observed that this is a score that could potentially be a low score in some Indian Universities (and high in others) - so a reasonable evaluation would take your university as well. This is the conclusion we've reached based on the data that we've collected at August Academy. I'm fairly certain schools would have quite a bit more data than us - and over a longer time period.

My recommendation, then, would be - if you belong to a university where the scores are traditionally high (Say Anna University, Osmania, etc. Even at the IITs a score fo 8+ merely places you in the top 30%), then write the optional - provided you have a good explanation. If you don't have a good explanation, then the point is moot.

If you belong to a university where you score is good, then don't worry about the optional essay.

Given that you clearly state that your score placed you in the bottom 50%, I would say the former applies in your case.

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Manager
Manager
G

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GPA from GMAC - How authentic? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 01:13
Hi Karthik,

Thank you very much for responding.
Follow-up query on explanations -
Supporting your family financially by taking part-time tuitions of more than 30 hours a week while studying is a good explanation? In addition, maturing as one ages and realizes the importance of giving his best to everything in life is a good explanation?

Also, I have tried to search through linkedin, but filtering with 'AND' criteria is not yet possible in Linkedin, and hence I haven't been able to figure out students who have gone onto study in US elite universities, particularly for MBA. I don't know a single person from recent batches who has gone to study for MBA abroad from my university. Many have preferred MS path, but none have taken the MBA route.
So when you say that universities know based on data over many years, how can one ascertain this fact?

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 02:29
GMAT2k17,

Supporting your family is a noble endeavor. Working 30 hours a week during college doesn't seem convincing, however. That implies that you would'nt have time to attend college, leave alone study after hours. There is a balance between helping your family, and not giving college work the importance it deserves.

The second is acceptable. It would help if you can demonstrate that you've matured using examples from your recent past.

About business schools having data about students from your college, that is just a hypothesis.

Best wishes,
Karthik

gmat2k17 wrote:
Hi Karthik,

Thank you very much for responding.
Follow-up query on explanations -
Supporting your family financially by taking part-time tuitions of more than 30 hours a week while studying is a good explanation? In addition, maturing as one ages and realizes the importance of giving his best to everything in life is a good explanation?

Also, I have tried to search through linkedin, but filtering with 'AND' criteria is not yet possible in Linkedin, and hence I haven't been able to figure out students who have gone onto study in US elite universities, particularly for MBA. I don't know a single person from recent batches who has gone to study for MBA abroad from my university. Many have preferred MS path, but none have taken the MBA route.
So when you say that universities know based on data over many years, how can one ascertain this fact?

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 05:06
gmat2k17 wrote:
Fellow experts, recently GMAC uploaded this guidance for candidates to convert their marks to a 4 point US GPA equivalent.

Now as per this guidance anyone with higher than 60% has a 4.0 GPA in US scale, and it has left me perplexed. I have a 6.9/10 Cumulative Performance Index, which translates to 66.53 percentage marks as per my University provided formula, i.e. First Division from the chart below. I was in the bottom 50% of my class with this score, and I intended to address this in my optional essay. I wasn't serious towards studies in my school, and I was working part-time for financial reasons.

However, if my GPA anyhow is as good as what GMAC suggests, i.e. 4.0 :), there's no point in addressing it in optional essay.

Please guide.

I tell most applicants not to convert their GPA/CGPA to a US equivalent. If you came from a school that is well known (or even somewhat well known) then I as well as the admissions teams know how the school grades. It is pretty clear that a 7.5 at some schools is really good (where the #1 in the class may only get an 8.2) while at other schools it would only be a half decent score. I wouldn't worry too much about this and instead report the score as you have it.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:05
Hi gmat2k17,

To add, an overwhelming majority of schools advise to report GPA on the original scale (and not convert). And if any school wants a conversion, they prescribe a standard way to do it (otherwise there will be chaos, as the context of the GPA will be different from one University/ School to the other). They’ve plenty of historical data (from past applicants) and data from other sources to know what GPAs mean what. And, as you know, you should explain any valid reasons for a poor performance (which is relative to your class). You may find this post useful in this regard.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: GPA from GMAC - How authentic?   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 06:05