Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Greetings from India [#permalink]
Hi Vidyuth,

I am starting to prepare for GMAT. Please recommend me the books you are using for preparation of quant.

Thanks,
Vicky
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
viki00762 wrote:
Hi Vidyuth,

I am starting to prepare for GMAT. Please recommend me the books you are using for preparation of quant.

Thanks,
Vicky

TO brush up ypur concepts go for Total gmat math book and than fr further advanced and gmat type quant try manhattan books fr quant..you can purchase those from flipkart....

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!1

Archit
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vid14 wrote:
Hey chief,

Quick update:

Been 2 weeks now, started a tutorial program in Madras, India. My question is related to what my plan should look like to maximise the time that I have. After the 1st 2 weeks, (during which time Ive been doing Quant mainly) i've become really paranoid because I feel that i do not have enough time. What questions must I answer to be able to map out a schedule that gives me clarity of what to focus on?

I do not believe that the 1st test (GMAT prep) i took was an accurate measure of my ability. It was the first exam, i had taken in 5 years and quite frankly I just wanted it done with. I finished both sections with 15 minutes remaining on the clock respectively (I scored a 400). Given the time and enough practice it is possible (or so i believe) to ace the quant section. When i started my program, it took my 30 to 45 minutes to solve a question but after revising the concept again; i am able to solve it 4-5 minutes. All this within 2 weeks. So maybe im just disillusioned but I think i can get a 700 easily. My exam is on the 17th of July - approximately 3 months from today.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Vidyuth

I would like to add to what Archit said:

If you took the GMAT prep test without any revision of concepts whatsoever, your score might have been artificially depressed. We forget most of the things in a span of 5 yrs and hence a quick revision is necessary. Once you go through the concepts a couple of times, your score would be a better predictor of your current level. That said, don't underestimate GMAT either. Most people think that if they have taken CAT, GMAT will be a piece of cake. Sadly, the two are very different beasts and that's another reason why most Indian test prep companies do not do justice to their GMAT students. They make small changes to CAT material and pass it off as GMAT without focusing on strategies (I am not saying that the institute you have joined would be doing this but from what I have seen, it is common in India to underestimate GMAT). If you are already committed to a course, continue with it but you must get the Official Guide and the complete study material of at least one global test prep company. After one complete run of the study material, take a GMAT prep test and that will be a better measure of your potential score.

I would like to add something in the highlighted text.
I would say not only these companies are underestimating the GMAT but they themselves are not fully prepared to teach GMAT (Except for e-GMAT). As per my experience, they haven't done enough research upon GMAT, its structure, scope, and most importantly how GMAT differs from Indian MBA entrances i.e. CAT, XAT, SNAP etc. and hence there is huge qualitative gap between GMAT material offered by these companies and that offered by Global Test prep giants such as MGMAT, Veritas, Kaplan etc.

I apologize for the strange wording, but i am strongly against misguiding students in their crucial phase of career.

Narenn.

PS : Glad to know, VERITAS has opened its office in Pune. :-D Great!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Vidyuth,

I took a look at your Manhattan CAT. Since you’re just starting out, it’s hard to get incredibly specific on what to work on, but here are a few tips:

1) You’re finishing both Quant and Verbal with lots of time to spare. You may want to think about slowing down to work more carefully on some problems. However, it’s not unusual to finish a bit early on your first exam, because there are some problems you have no idea how to approach. You may actually slow down as you start studying, because you will know how to work a larger proportion of the problems.

2) You need some explicit practice in Data Sufficiency. Right now you’re missing most of the problems of this type. This is not too unusual for a beginner, but this should balance itself out as you go forward. Make sure you get familiar with how to handle DS right away, so that you can comfortably use DS problems for practice as you study each math topic.

3) You are very unbalanced in your math performance. Some areas, such as geometry, are very high, while others, such as algebra and word problems, are so low they’re nearly random. Make sure your fundamentals are strong. I recommend our Foundations of GMAT Math book for that. If you know how to handle all the basics, it’s not too hard to put them together to handle tougher problems.

4) Your Sentence Correction needs a lot of work. This is not uncommon for non-native speakers. I recommend that you work through our Sentence Correction strategy guide slowly, chapter-by-chapter, building up notes and key strategies as you go.

5) Another key verbal skill you need to work on is inference. This comes up in Critical Reasoning (Draw a Conclusion) and Reading Comprehension, and you’re getting hit pretty hard right now. Make sure to read up on inference and practice this extensively. You can’t get a great verbal score without good inference skills!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Send PM
Dear Dmitry,

Noted. Will let you how my next CAT goes.

Thanks.

Vidyuth
GMAT Club Bot