GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Haas vs Booth

new topic post reply Update application status  

Haas vs Booth

• 41% [7]
  • 58% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Haas vs Booth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 17:29
I am an MBB consultant with a full sponsorship from the company (so I am returning to MBB after I am done). It might be worth mentioning that I am Mexican but I have previously lived in the US and Germany for a couple of years, so is not like I am actively looking for network specifically in Mexico.

I am deciding between Haas and Booth - as I mentioned, I already have a job (that I want to continue doing)

Booth
- more Mexican network ~20 students per class (although I am not completely sure where I want to live - I can actually switch with MBB to a US office after MBA)
- better ranked and a little more recognized
- Great at finance (but I am not quite sure if I want to pursue an intership in the area - but it is something I want to lear about)
- Living in a City
- Cold half of the time

Haas
- more exposure to other nationalities (only ~3 Mexicans join each year)
- better weather (I love to ride a bike to do errands - which I could do all year in CA but not in Chicago)
- technology and innovation center (I love the topics, I could see an internship in tech but I still want to return to consulting)
- also known for Finance
- California (I consider myself a liberal and I think that California's mindset might resemble more what I stand for)

I have visited both schools and I like them both, I felt a click with people from both Universities.

Most people make their decision based on after-MBA jobs, for me, I already have that secured so I do not know how to make my decision (my employer supports both, they don't really care which one I take, and people at MBB are giving me split decisions based on individual preferences)

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Haas vs Booth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 07:33
Congrats for both great schools.

As long as you have your job, I advise to seek what makes you spend enjoyable 2 year. I feel that you more inclined to Haas than to Booth.

Here you can follow you gut and won't lose. :)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 08:05
Booth
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 09:34
Haas is much smaller and can be categorized as a regional program - most applicants remain in CA after graduation. Part of it, it is hard to move to Michigan after having lived in Bay Area for 2 years, but another part of it is the network and employer reach - few large companies from Midwest or East Coast come out to Berkeley to recruit.

Haas is a great program. They are very selective and quite a proud bunch too. How well known is it in Mexico or areas you are planning to operate? What about the network in Mexico? You can try LinkedIn, though it sounds like you have already looked at what nationals and how many they admit.

Haas tends to be a "mysterious" MBA program - they admit unpredictably, have few GMAT Clubbers and feedback out there in general, and due to a very low acceptance rate seem to have a "hard-to-get" reputation. It is a more boutiquey school if you know what I mean. It has its own pros but also cons.

West coast mentality may be something you are used to or something that will irritate you... as to liberal vs conservative, both cities/schools are pretty liberal and so is Chicago but Berkeley area is on the complete left side of the spectrum, sometimes leaving even liberal people speechless ;-) Both Booth and Haas are very international and cosmopolitan.

I think you will get out more professionally from Booth Experience but you may enjoy Haas more on a personal level. So it is a bit of personal experience vs. professional development. Depends on what you want to get out of it. Congrats and Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 08:18
Thank you all for your responses/advice.

I feel like personally I will have more fun at Haas but professionally Booth will probably benefit me a bit more, so I do not know how to make my decision!
Worldwide I think Berkeley has a bit more of a name (at least with the people I have spoken with).
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Haas vs Booth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 May 2017, 16:15
Biases aside, both are great schools but I think Booth overall has the stronger/brand network. If you aren't fully committed to working in the Bay Area long term, you'll be better suited in my opinion with the broader and wider reaching Booth network. It sounds like your decision is more about California vs Chicago than Haas vs Booth, certainly a consideration when choosing a school but I personally wouldn't make a decision purely based on where I'd prefer to live for two years.

Also, Booth is very strong in tech (New Venture Challenge, PE/VC Lab, etc), so you will have no issues getting a ton of exposure to tech as a student there despite not being in the Valley.

Originally posted by jessepinkman on 02 May 2017, 13:02.
Last edited by jessepinkman on 07 May 2017, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 10:34
I would go Booth here, the only downside would be the weather, but Chicago and Booth's location in the city is really amazing. Also coming from Mexico, a few years of a different climate might be an interesting change for you

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Haas vs Booth &nbs [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 10:34

Haas vs Booth

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap