Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:05 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: HBS '21 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
TinanGoli wrote:
Hello,
Thank you in advance for answering.
I am a 26years old female from Ivory coast currently living in UK. I spent most of my life in Ivory Coast. In high school I won an award of the best student of my category in the whole country. I did my a level (baccalaureat litteraire) in literature focusing in English,Spanish, history, philosophy and math.
I went to the best university of the country.Even though that university only accept people for scientific background,they did made an exception for me, accept my application and made me take a math test before grant me a place there. I was admitted to the three years program, got a scholarship for three years during those years I was ranked 1st of my class. They then offered me a place in the engineering program, renewed my scholarship for two years, and offered me a two months exchange in UK. Again I took the first place among my peers. In my last year I got recruited by PwC. I spent 9 months there, submitted my thesis and declined a full time offer from them.
To sum up I got 4 as GPA.
I declined PwC offer because I wanted an experience abroad and wanted to have more knowledge in finance, I went to UK and did a MSc in finance (top 15).Due to an accident that happened to me at the beginning of my term, I ended up with a low GPA of 3.7 (2.1).

-Work experience from old to recent:
2months summer internship as account assistant in a microfinance company
8months work experience in a big 4 as a financial auditor
I have been running the family business since I was in my 2nd year at Uni. I expand our business from B2C to B2B, created opportunities outside the country. Now we have our own production facilities, client abroad and retailers buy the product to export it .
I am currently having experience in a fortune 20 as a digital architect and PMO in London

Extracurricular activities
- I was the Vice president of the dancing club in my high school (we were 2nd in a national competition)
- my first two years at Uni I was running the English and literature club of the Freshers
- I became a year later the Project manager of a student start up operating in management,marketing for a year
- the year after I was elected the president of that start up I expanded our activities,improved our revenue by 20% the first year by expanding our activities and clients portfolio.It led me to a second mandate
The second year was even better we had the same growth in term of revenue and profit. One of the client decided to hire me,he made me an offer but I had already accepted the offer of the big 4 so I declined.

I actively participated in Rotaract activities, and st Egidio working with orphans, offering medical kits and working on various projects.
I was also an activist in the LGBT community in my country, counseling and being there for everyone.
I am currently teaching some Basic IT to seniors people here in London
And next month I will start volunteering on weekends for British heart Foundation as well.

I haven't prepared for the GMAT yet,I got the books today...planning to read,get ready and take it because I would like to apply for the 1st round I'm September 2018.
I am interested in Wharton, Stanford,Harvard, Columbia and I would stay LBS.

So my questions are:
Is my work in my family business considered as work experience?
Which score of GMAT should I get to get into top 10 first round?
Can I get into the top 15?

Thanks,

Sorry again for the long story

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]

Hi - Sounds like you have a very interesting background for business schools - you have competed well locally, received validation from global firms, and now have international experience. Your family work can certainly be considered work experience - might want to see if you can get some experience with people internally and externally who are not family members though. Think your GMAT is not as heavily weighted as you might think - but for the top 10 schools, you might shoot for 650-700. Best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
PaulatAlta wrote:
TinanGoli wrote:
Hello,
I am a 26years old female from Ivory coast currently living in UK. I spent most of my life in Ivory Coast. In high school I won an award of the best student of my category in the whole country. I did my a level (baccalaureat litteraire) in literature focusing in English,Spanish, history, philosophy and math.
I went to the best university of the country.Even though that university only accept people for scientific background,they did made an exception for me, accept my application and made me take a math test before grant me a place there. I was admitted to the three years program, got a scholarship for three years during those years I was ranked 1st of my class. They then offered me a place in the engineering program, renewed my scholarship for two years, and offered me a two months exchange in UK. Again I took the first place among my peers. In my last year I got recruited by PwC. I spent 9 months there, submitted my thesis and declined a full time offer from them.
I declined PwC offer because I wanted an experience abroad and wanted to have more knowledge in finance, I went to UK and did a MSc in finance (top 15).Due to an accident that happened to me at the beginning of my term, I ended up with a low GPA of 3.7 (2.1).

I have been running the family business since I was in my 2nd year at Uni. I expand our business from B2C to B2B, created opportunities outside the country. Now we have our own production facilities, client abroad and retailers buy the product to export it .
I am currently having experience in a fortune 20 as a digital architect and PMO in London

- I was the Vice president of the dancing club in my high school (we were 2nd in a national competition)
- my first two years at Uni I was running the English and literature club of the Freshers
- I became a year later the Project manager of a student start up operating in management,marketing for a year
- the year after I was elected the president of that start up I expanded our activities,improved our revenue by 20% the first year by expanding our activities and clients portfolio.It led me to a second mandate
The second year was even better we had the same growth in term of revenue and profit. One of the client decided to hire me,he made me an offer but I had already accepted the offer of the big 4 so I declined.

I actively participated in Rotaract activities, and st Egidio working with orphans, offering medical kits and working on various projects.
I was also an activist in the LGBT community in my country, counseling and being there for everyone.
And next month I will start volunteering on weekends for British heart Foundation as well.

I haven't prepared for the GMAT yet,I got the books today...planning to read,get ready and take it because I would like to apply for the 1st round I'm September 2018.

So my questions are:

Thanks,

Hi - Sounds like you have a very interesting background for business schools - you have competed well locally, received validation from global firms, and now have international experience. Your family work can certainly be considered work experience - might want to see if you can get some experience with people internally and externally who are not family members though. Think your GMAT is not as heavily weighted as you might think - but for the top 10 schools, you might shoot for 650-700. Best
Thank you for your the reply.
I will definitely try to get a 720+ .do you think it is possible ? I am planning to take the test end of March beginning of April . I started on Saturday last week,my first practice (diagnostic) was 600. I am reading 2h per day on weekdays and 4hours on weekends

Intern
Intern
Send PM
TinanGoli wrote:
PaulatAlta wrote:
TinanGoli wrote:
Hello,

So my questions are:

Thanks,

Thank you for your the reply.
I will definitely try to get a 720+ .do you think it is possible ? I am planning to take the test end of March beginning of April . I started on Saturday last week,my first practice (diagnostic) was 600. I am reading 2h per day on weekdays and 4hours on weekends

Sounds like you are well on your way. Happy to have an initial chat if might be of help:-) (contact@alta.mba)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hey Paul, for people who are in healthcare VC, do they get bucketed into the same group as finance when ad com is assessing their profile or do they look at them with the healthcare folks? thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
arcticTO wrote:
Hey Paul, for people who are in healthcare VC, do they get bucketed into the same group as finance when ad com is assessing their profile or do they look at them with the healthcare folks? thanks

Hi - Most will bucket you in PE/VC - unless other parts of your background or sincere/passionate career aspirations would lead them to bucket you with potential to lead operating/healthcare companies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I am thinking to apply for the 2+2 program as a college graduating senior. Currently, I am working on the GMAT exam and I will have my GMAT exam in mid-March. If I have to retake the exam, it will be a day before the deadline.

Background and nationality: Asian female, from Macau SAR, fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, and English.
Undergrad Information: Michigan State University Hospitality Business(Bachelor of Arts)
GPA: 3.95/4.00
GMAT: N/A
Work experience and leadership: Two internships in hotel operations, one of them is on the supervisory level.
ECs: International Scholars Advisory Board, Delegation of Outstanding Macau Higher Education Students to the European Union and UNESCO (to promote the exchange and cooperation between Macau SAR and the European Union, as well as UNESCO last summer).

Is this profile worth a shot and is there anything I should be aware of?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vickyleewk wrote:
I am thinking to apply for the 2+2 program as a college graduating senior. Currently, I am working on the GMAT exam and I will have my GMAT exam in mid-March. If I have to retake the exam, it will be a day before the deadline.

Background and nationality: Asian female, from Macau SAR, fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, and English.
Undergrad Information: Michigan State University Hospitality Business(Bachelor of Arts)
Work experience and leadership: Two internships in hotel operations, one of them is on the supervisory level.
ECs: International Scholars Advisory Board, Delegation of Outstanding Macau Higher Education Students to the European Union and UNESCO (to promote the exchange and cooperation between Macau SAR and the European Union, as well as UNESCO last summer).

Thanks!

Hi - Seems you have great academic trackrecord, interesting ECs, and positive demographics. Assuming your GMAT is comparable - you should focus on optimizing your recommendations, developing an interesting story of who you are and your future passions and interest. Happy to have an intro chat of course.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,
I am 28, female software engineer from India.

Gmat : 680 (q50, v31)

Highest education: B.tech in EEE
Gpa: 3.9
branch topper , gold medallist

12th: 89.6 percent. Amul vidyabhushan award for being a merit student.

10th: 89.8 percent. Merit certificate from CBSE

Work exp: 6.2 years in total
4.5 yrs at TCS, rest at Accenture
Got promoted to Team Lead at Accenture within one year of joining. Leading a complex Oracle BI Apps project with a team of 5 people. Have lead a similar project seamlessly before at TCS as well.

Extra curricular:
Active CSR volunteer.
Promoting digital education among underprivileged children and finding talents within them.
HR SPOC at TCS, responsible for conducting quarterly awards, picnics , small events for about 100 people at Office.

Awards:
Have been star of month for resolving critical issues at work. Got many client appreciations.

Want to go for MBA from HBS as I am looking for a functional shift in my career. I want to go for product management roles after MBA.

What are my chances for HBS? if not HBS, what are the other best choices for my profile? I am looking for IIM ABC , NYU and INSEAD as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrinal0308 wrote:
Hi,
I am 28, female software engineer from India.

Gmat : 680 (q50, v31)

Highest education: B.tech in EEE
Gpa: 3.9
branch topper , gold medallist

12th: 89.6 percent. Amul vidyabhushan award for being a merit student.

10th: 89.8 percent. Merit certificate from CBSE

Work exp: 6.2 years in total
4.5 yrs at TCS, rest at Accenture
Got promoted to Team Lead at Accenture within one year of joining. Leading a complex Oracle BI Apps project with a team of 5 people. Have lead a similar project seamlessly before at TCS as well.

Extra curricular:
Active CSR volunteer.
Promoting digital education among underprivileged children and finding talents within them.
HR SPOC at TCS, responsible for conducting quarterly awards, picnics , small events for about 100 people at Office.

Awards:
Have been star of month for resolving critical issues at work. Got many client appreciations.

Want to go for MBA from HBS as I am looking for a functional shift in my career. I want to go for product management roles after MBA.

What are my chances for HBS? if not HBS, what are the other best choices for my profile? I am looking for IIM ABC , NYU and INSEAD as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi - Always the tough question, of course. Not sure understand your academic record - if you are near the top of your class at an IIT, your chances are very good. You may want to retake your GMAT if not too difficult to improve your score. Considering the demographic challenges as an Indian IT person (though not male), you might consider additional schools depending upon where you plan to work after MBA and the HQ of your firm. While Insead is strong in India, a U.S. school might be preferred at a place like Accenture. Many possibilities in the U.S. of course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Background and nationality: 24 y/o white male from midwest (not aiming for B-School until 25), Economics B.A from the University of Minnesota, first-generation college student, youngest of 3 siblings & the only to graduate High School, there's slightly more information that portrays a clearer adversity story.

(Interested to hear feedback if I should use this angle, I personally am not a giant fan as I feel like it comes off as 'poor me', but I do know schools like the adversity stories...)

GPA: 3.62/4.00
GMAT: 720 (48Q/41V/7IR)
Work experience and leadership: Strategy consultant at a smaller 100-150 practice within a much larger, well-known company. It is fast growing. Received early promotion. Lots of project experience with top 50 tech companies.

At my company, I primarily led the charge to establish a partnership with a local non-profit that supports individuals related to my possible adversity story noted up above (mental illness/homelessness of family). I continue to participate in this monthly program/volunteering opportunity.

Prior to this, I had college internships with the U.S. International Trade Administration (domestically and internationally) where I supported the export growth of small U.S. businesses.

Additionally, in college, I was the president of a social-fraternity of 100+ members. Is this experience worth sharing? I personally found it to be an incredibly valuable experience, but I understand the stigma that exists with fraternities.

Extra-Curricular: As mentioned above, I volunteer at a local non-profit. For this same non-profit, I have participated in a pro-bono consulting project to analyze & improve their long-term sustainability.

Outside of this, I am looking to get more involved in the community around me over the next two years. Currently considering Rotary club and other non-profits, but as I haven't done this yet, don't add weight to it.

Other:
Career goal/reason for MBA - since I started taking my career seriously, I have been very interested in venture capital/private equity (w/tech focus). I want an MBA to acquire finance skills, but more importantly to open doors to this incredibly difficult industry. Alternatively but still related, I am interested in corporate development/strategy at the major tech firms.

One of my recommendations will come from a current manager who pushed my case to get me promoted early and will write a glowing rec. She is a very experienced consultant with experience from big name consulting firms and an MBA from top 25. I am unsure of 2nd rec, chances are it will be from a director level individual from a client that has seen my impact their organization.

I am curious to hear thoughts on how adcom's would view a job change at this stage of my career. I have been reached out to by other management consulting companies for offers $120k+, which is a significant bump from my current salary. These jobs are also located in a major city that is both closer to my parents and more desirable to live. The project work is also more diverse. Would a career change look bad or is it irrelevant?

Happy to share more information & greatly appreciate any/all thought out replies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
2+2 hopeful! Would love thoughts on my chances and what I should focus on with the the month and a half I have left to apply

Work experience: Accepted offer with T2 consulting firm
Extra curriculars: Have extensive volunteer and leadership experience around organization that supports Hispanic high school and college students.
Undergrad school/major: Top 15, Engineering Major

Race/nationality: Hispanic (Naturalized US Citizen)
Sex:M

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 730 (48Q 42 V) I should've done better on the Q, I messed that up!
Undergrad GPA: 3.72
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PaulatAlta wrote:
vickyleewk wrote:

Thanks!

Hi - Seems you have great academic trackrecord, interesting ECs, and positive demographics. Assuming your GMAT is comparable - you should focus on optimizing your recommendations, developing an interesting story of who you are and your future passions and interest. Happy to have an intro chat of course.

Paul, thanks for the reply! I just start preparing for my GMAT test and I am a little bit nervous now. I know I should get as high as I can, but I would like what score will be considered as "comparable" in the 2+2 program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cpw wrote:
Background and nationality: 24 y/o white male from midwest (not aiming for B-School until 25), Economics B.A from the University of Minnesota, first-generation college student, youngest of 3 siblings & the only to graduate High School, there's slightly more information that portrays a clearer adversity story.

(Interested to hear feedback if I should use this angle, I personally am not a giant fan as I feel like it comes off as 'poor me', but I do know schools like the adversity stories...)

GPA: 3.62/4.00
GMAT: 720 (48Q/41V/7IR)
Work experience and leadership: Strategy consultant at a smaller 100-150 practice within a much larger, well-known company. It is fast growing. Received early promotion. Lots of project experience with top 50 tech companies.

At my company, I primarily led the charge to establish a partnership with a local non-profit that supports individuals related to my possible adversity story noted up above (mental illness/homelessness of family). I continue to participate in this monthly program/volunteering opportunity.

Prior to this, I had college internships with the U.S. International Trade Administration (domestically and internationally) where I supported the export growth of small U.S. businesses.

Additionally, in college, I was the president of a social-fraternity of 100+ members. Is this experience worth sharing? I personally found it to be an incredibly valuable experience, but I understand the stigma that exists with fraternities.

Extra-Curricular: As mentioned above, I volunteer at a local non-profit. For this same non-profit, I have participated in a pro-bono consulting project to analyze & improve their long-term sustainability.

Outside of this, I am looking to get more involved in the community around me over the next two years. Currently considering Rotary club and other non-profits, but as I haven't done this yet, don't add weight to it.

Other:
Career goal/reason for MBA - since I started taking my career seriously, I have been very interested in venture capital/private equity (w/tech focus). I want an MBA to acquire finance skills, but more importantly to open doors to this incredibly difficult industry. Alternatively but still related, I am interested in corporate development/strategy at the major tech firms.

One of my recommendations will come from a current manager who pushed my case to get me promoted early and will write a glowing rec. She is a very experienced consultant with experience from big name consulting firms and an MBA from top 25. I am unsure of 2nd rec, chances are it will be from a director level individual from a client that has seen my impact their organization.

I am curious to hear thoughts on how adcom's would view a job change at this stage of my career. I have been reached out to by other management consulting companies for offers $120k+, which is a significant bump from my current salary. These jobs are also located in a major city that is both closer to my parents and more desirable to live. The project work is also more diverse. Would a career change look bad or is it irrelevant?

Happy to share more information & greatly appreciate any/all thought out replies.

Thanks for sharing! Few thoughts:
- Think your adversity story is important but helpful if you have a sense of how that has impacted who you are and if you have done anything (with your non-profit etc.) to "compensate".
- Fraternity leadership is recognized, but you may want to offset with extracurricular at an organization that shows that you are open to diversity.
- If you are serious about PE/VC, you probably need to switch jobs to a PE/VC or I-Bank that will help you get a PE/VC internship at B-School Tough to get a PE/VC permanent job without prior experience.

Best -
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vickyleewk wrote:
PaulatAlta wrote:
vickyleewk wrote:

Thanks!

Paul, thanks for the reply! I just start preparing for my GMAT test and I am a little bit nervous now. I know I should get as high as I can, but I would like what score will be considered as "comparable" in the 2+2 program.

It will depend on if you position yourself as Chinese or American. The Chinese scores tend to be higher of course. It really is about doing the best you can - do not want to overstretch or get nervous. The average is around 730, so bit above or below should be your target depending upon your demographic pool. Please remember that your grades are good - so the GMAT is not as relevant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cbh88 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for helping me out with a profile review. Wanted to see what y'all think my chances are at HBS with a strong career background but weaker extracurriculars. Considering applying Round 3 though I know that's where dreams go to die.

Background & Nationality:
Age - 29
Nationality - American Male

GMAT:
Overall - 760
Quant - 50
Verbal - 44
IR - 8
AWA - still waiting on score

Undergrad Information:
University - Low 40s ranked private university
GPA - 3.6
Majors - Double major in Math and Finance
Leadership - Vice President of my fraternity, some volunteer work with the fraternity

Work Experience:
Role - Three years in wealth management at a bulge bracket bank (GS, MS, JPM) followed by four years of buyside equity research at the same bulge bracket bank.
Leadership - actively involved in recruiting every year for the divisions I was in, asked to be a part of a global associate council within asset management (moderated an associate to VP promotion panel), first person in my role to be promoted to VP without individual equity coverage

Community and others:
Generally none which I think is a big downside for me. Got so focused on my career that I didn't do things outside of work.

Post-MBA goals:
Would love to move to one of the technology companies that I cover (large-cap software in particular or one of the internet majors). Business development, product management, etc. Public cloud is a particular interest of mine.

Congrats on a great GMAT score! You clearly have the intellectual capacity to make great use of an MBA education. As with all candidates, tough to count on getting into HBS - but you certainly seem qualified for a top school. You are starting to get on the older side - so will probably want to apply soon:-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you in advance. Really appreciate your evaluation of the below.

Indian, 26 Male.

Graduation : BITS Pilani Goa ( Among top 10 colleges in India)

Dual Degree: M.Sc. (Hons) Economics + B.E (Hons.) Electrical and Electronics Engineering

CGPA: 6.64

GMAT 740

FRM charter holder + CFA Level 2 Candidate. Cleared all these exams in first attempt.

Work Experience:

Senior Analyst at Goldman Sachs Bangalore. Joined out of college. Would be completing slightly more than 4 years at the time of MBA applications in 2018 and more than 5 years if I join the MBA class of 2019.

For close to 2.5 years was part of the trade risk management team in Operations where my core job was to ensure that pricing risk was appropriately captured by identifying bespoke trade features. The role required me to develop product and process expertise.

Have been ranked ‘Outstanding’ in all my 3 annual employee reviews which in Goldman Sachs speak is the highest employee rating. This enabled me to move products during my stint in operations where in for first half I covered Bank Loans and in second, I covered Structured Equity Derivates.

Strong performance also helped me move divisions last year. I managed a shift from an Operations role to the role in revenue side in the asset management arm of Goldman Sachs (GSAM). Have been in this role for past 9 months.

In my current role I cover GSAM’s offshore money market funds portfolio which has assets close to $100 bn. I work closely with trading desk through my role which involves conducting portfolio analysis- current positioning, performance attribution, market trends along with business development which includes creating and maintaining marketing materials assisting in ad-hoc client and sales queries.

Leadership and Extra Curriculars:

Selected to be one of the 7 official bloggers for this year’s Jaipur Literature Festival -one of the largest literature festivals in the world-through an essay competition. During the festival blogged about various sessions cantered around literature , economics and politics. These blogs were used by various national news papers for their press releases of the festival.

At work:

·Led a team of 4 ( in 2017) and won a grant of $20k for for the NGO Digital Empowerment Foundation for their project internet in a box which aims to provide internet connectivity to the internet dark villages in India. This was part of the Goldman Sachs India Impact Fund wherein analysts and associates of Goldman Sachs India, had to pitch for an NGO of their choice in a shark tank like format to the Executive committee of Goldman Sachs. Once the grant was secured it required me and my team to monitor the progress of the project and act as a link between the NGO and the CSR committee of Goldman Sachs India. Through this project close to 50,000 people in Tekulodu village of Andhra Pradesh will have access to digital services through this project.

Member of the Goldman Sachs India disability forum and India religion and culture forum. Through these forums we organize various events to raise awareness about social issues at work. For example, as a part of the disability forum, I was in the team that collaborated with the experiential learning and drama based training company to prepare a skit that aimed to sensitize Goldman Sachs employees towards needs of persons with disabilities and how best to accommodate them in the workforce.

Secretary -Goldman Sachs Toastmasters Club. As a secretary my role was to carry out the administrative functions of the official Toastmasters club of Goldman Sachs India and help other members in preparation of their speeches. I have myself completed Toastmaster’s Competent Communicator manual (set of 10 speeches) and intend to continue and have also won a couple of speech contests organized by different Toastmasters clubs in Bangalore.

During College:

Was President of Centre for Entrepreneurial Leadership BITS Goa- Led a team of 35 students and organized events like conferences open houses, startup weekends etc. to promote entrepreneurship on campus.

Was curator of the national level conference titled ‘Agora’ that focused on the relevance of social entrepreneurship in India's growth story. The conference was covered by ET-NOW on their weekly show 'Starting Up'

Was selected to be a part of Jagriti Yatra-a 15-day train journey that that took 450 young participants across India to different well established social enterprises to better understand their business models.

·Member of the team which was a Regional Finalist at The Hult Prize in Dubai, one of the largest social case study competitions. The problem statement given to us was – ‘food hunger in urban slums’. Secured 5th rank out of the 57 participating teams.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ishankawley wrote:
Thank you in advance. Really appreciate your evaluation of the below.

Indian, 26 Male.

Graduation : BITS Pilani Goa ( Among top 10 colleges in India)

Dual Degree: M.Sc. (Hons) Economics + B.E (Hons.) Electrical and Electronics Engineering

CGPA: 6.64

GMAT 740

FRM charter holder + CFA Level 2 Candidate. Cleared all these exams in first attempt.

Work Experience:

Senior Analyst at Goldman Sachs Bangalore. Joined out of college. Would be completing slightly more than 4 years at the time of MBA applications in 2018 and more than 5 years if I join the MBA class of 2019.

For close to 2.5 years was part of the trade risk management team in Operations where my core job was to ensure that pricing risk was appropriately captured by identifying bespoke trade features. The role required me to develop product and process expertise.

Have been ranked ‘Outstanding’ in all my 3 annual employee reviews which in Goldman Sachs speak is the highest employee rating. This enabled me to move products during my stint in operations where in for first half I covered Bank Loans and in second, I covered Structured Equity Derivates.

Strong performance also helped me move divisions last year. I managed a shift from an Operations role to the role in revenue side in the asset management arm of Goldman Sachs (GSAM). Have been in this role for past 9 months.

In my current role I cover GSAM’s offshore money market funds portfolio which has assets close to $100 bn. I work closely with trading desk through my role which involves conducting portfolio analysis- current positioning, performance attribution, market trends along with business development which includes creating and maintaining marketing materials assisting in ad-hoc client and sales queries.

Leadership and Extra Curriculars:

Selected to be one of the 7 official bloggers for this year’s Jaipur Literature Festival -one of the largest literature festivals in the world-through an essay competition. During the festival blogged about various sessions cantered around literature , economics and politics. These blogs were used by various national news papers for their press releases of the festival.

At work:

·Led a team of 4 ( in 2017) and won a grant of $20k for for the NGO Digital Empowerment Foundation for their project internet in a box which aims to provide internet connectivity to the internet dark villages in India. This was part of the Goldman Sachs India Impact Fund wherein analysts and associates of Goldman Sachs India, had to pitch for an NGO of their choice in a shark tank like format to the Executive committee of Goldman Sachs. Once the grant was secured it required me and my team to monitor the progress of the project and act as a link between the NGO and the CSR committee of Goldman Sachs India. Through this project close to 50,000 people in Tekulodu village of Andhra Pradesh will have access to digital services through this project.

Member of the Goldman Sachs India disability forum and India religion and culture forum. Through these forums we organize various events to raise awareness about social issues at work. For example, as a part of the disability forum, I was in the team that collaborated with the experiential learning and drama based training company to prepare a skit that aimed to sensitize Goldman Sachs employees towards needs of persons with disabilities and how best to accommodate them in the workforce.

Secretary -Goldman Sachs Toastmasters Club. As a secretary my role was to carry out the administrative functions of the official Toastmasters club of Goldman Sachs India and help other members in preparation of their speeches. I have myself completed Toastmaster’s Competent Communicator manual (set of 10 speeches) and intend to continue and have also won a couple of speech contests organized by different Toastmasters clubs in Bangalore.

During College:

Was President of Centre for Entrepreneurial Leadership BITS Goa- Led a team of 35 students and organized events like conferences open houses, startup weekends etc. to promote entrepreneurship on campus.

Was curator of the national level conference titled ‘Agora’ that focused on the relevance of social entrepreneurship in India's growth story. The conference was covered by ET-NOW on their weekly show 'Starting Up'

Was selected to be a part of Jagriti Yatra-a 15-day train journey that that took 450 young participants across India to different well established social enterprises to better understand their business models.

·Member of the team which was a Regional Finalist at The Hult Prize in Dubai, one of the largest social case study competitions. The problem statement given to us was – ‘food hunger in urban slums’. Secured 5th rank out of the 57 participating teams.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi - you have an amazing trackrecord - but a difficult demographic, of course. You scores, academics and extra-curriculars are certainly good. As a fellow GS alum, I have a lot of respect for your professional experience - but you may want to consider ways to optimize, including more "front-office" roles and/or perhaps a new firm on a full or part-time basis. Hope of bit of help. Your passions, story and future plans are also important to craft.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts