GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help needed for profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Help needed for profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 00:55
Hello,

I recently gave the GMAT and scored about 710 (Q47 V40). I'm 25 years old with 1.5 years of work experience, and have no engineering/commerce/business background. I am an English major who did a masters in public relations (which was the field I worked in for said 1.5 years), and am looking to get an MBA to pursue marketing. I am currently trying to make the switch to marketing by looking for a job that will offer me such a role to get hands on experience of the kind of work it entails.

More about my education, I scored 95% in class 10, 91% in class 12, after which I pursued one year of engineering which I later quit to study literature. In terms of extra curricular activities, I was an active parliamentary debater in college and held leadership positions. I also topped my college during my post grad in public relations.

My initial plan was to apply for ISB (batch to 2020), but I have been told that the average work ex is 4 years, and they might not look favourably at my low quant score (63 percentile) despite getting an overall 91 percentile. I am also uncertain about studying abroad since it is quite difficult for students who choose marketing to get work visas in the country of study, and recovering the cost of the MBA in India might not be a good idea.

I will be looking to retake the GMAT in the next couple of months to improve my quant score, only if ISB is a viable choice for someone with my profile. I am not sure what the preference (or lack of) is like for media/advertising students applying to ISB.

Could someone advise how I should go ahead with this? Do I need to retake the GMAT and what score would help me present myself favourably to admission committees, given that I have a very unconventional profile. Do I also look at schools abroad, and which would be good schools to target? Would it be wise to apply with my current score?

Thanks!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Help needed for profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 06:04
carolinexi wrote:
Hello,

I recently gave the GMAT and scored about 710 (Q47 V40). I'm 25 years old with 1.5 years of work experience, and have no engineering/commerce/business background. I am an English major who did a masters in public relations (which was the field I worked in for said 1.5 years), and am looking to get an MBA to pursue marketing. I am currently trying to make the switch to marketing by looking for a job that will offer me such a role to get hands on experience of the kind of work it entails.

More about my education, I scored 95% in class 10, 91% in class 12, after which I pursued one year of engineering which I later quit to study literature. In terms of extra curricular activities, I was an active parliamentary debater in college and held leadership positions. I also topped my college during my post grad in public relations.

My initial plan was to apply for ISB (batch to 2020), but I have been told that the average work ex is 4 years, and they might not look favourably at my low quant score (63 percentile) despite getting an overall 91 percentile. I am also uncertain about studying abroad since it is quite difficult for students who choose marketing to get work visas in the country of study, and recovering the cost of the MBA in India might not be a good idea.

I will be looking to retake the GMAT in the next couple of months to improve my quant score, only if ISB is a viable choice for someone with my profile. I am not sure what the preference (or lack of) is like for media/advertising students applying to ISB.

Could someone advise how I should go ahead with this? Do I need to retake the GMAT and what score would help me present myself favourably to admission committees, given that I have a very unconventional profile. Do I also look at schools abroad, and which would be good schools to target? Would it be wise to apply with my current score?

Thanks!

carolinexi

Thank you for your profile post. I would certainly retake the GMAT and try for a school like ISB if that interests you. You can also take some extra graduate level courses on the side in analytically challenging subjects to demonstrate your strength in these areas. In terms of studying in India vs abroad, where do you see yourself settling longer term? There are many great opportunities outside of India, in Asia, Europe and the US that you could consider. If you want to send your resume across, I can give you more specific guidance on the work experience. You would be on the lower side, but schools do take folks with a few years of experience as well. The bar is just a bit higher. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 11:20
carolinexi wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Hey carolinexi,
You have some good potential. Your profile needs a bit of building though, and this is the right time for you to start, esp if you want to join the intake class of 2019 (I assume you will have 2.5 yrs of workex by then)

Though I see some of your details, it will be great if you could pm your resume. Happy to answer your questions over the phone.

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 19:27
If you think you can get a higher score, then why not go for it, especially with your lower quant score. You have the time so if you think you can make progress go for it! I think your work experience will be a bit of challenge. Although your age is fine, your work experience is pretty low. Most schools, generally expect at the very least two years, and as you mentioned ISB generally looks for a bit more.

Especially if you are looking in the states, your GMAT and work experience will be red flags. These are both "easily" improved things, you just need to decide if you are willing to do what it is necessary on those fronts.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Help needed for profile evaluation   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 19:27

Help needed for profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap