It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 10:08
Long story short...I graduated with my undergrad in 2014, 3.8 GPA. I was an Resident Assistant, I held an internship with the City of New Haven, I was on Student Government, and I was also tennis team captain.

After I gradated, I was a little lost with what I really wanted to do. I decided to join the work force till I pick a position I wanted to works towards.

Fast forward to 2017, I want to go back to school to get my credits to sit for the CPA exam. Little did I know how much this was going to cost me. I began to look into programs online when I found out about HOFSTRA offering no application fee for their masters program.

I went ahead and submitted my application, and that's when I realized I had to take the GMAT. I schedule my exam for a week after I made the decision to apply to gradate school, of course I did not study thinking this would be a normal standard test. I scored the lowest possible score of 210.

HOFSTRA denied my application because of my GMAT score, they gave me another chance to re-take it and submit my scores within a month. This time, I bought a practice book from Amazon and I began to study.

Studying for this exam to take within a month, I felt the pressure to get this right this time. I scored a 270.

Now I am very discouraged and I love accounting (my current field) but I don't believe business school is for me :cry:

December 2017, I read up on Baruch College, and I decided to apply with my 270 score, because I saw on their site, even if you score low on your GMAT they can consider you due to other aspects of your application. A 3.8 GPA in undergrad, while multitasking with different roles I held and 3 years of full time work experience. I thought I would get some type of admission consideration.

But just like I thought they took one look at my GMAT score and denied me. I am a stronger student in a class room setting. GMAT prep course cost 1,300 and up. I do not have that kind of money. I spend 125 dollars on the application fee to Baruch, and now they won't re-consider my application for this FALL 2018 unless I re-take the GMAT test.

My only issue is paying student loans, paying a car note, and paying my bills I barely have money to eat, I'm pulling together egg sandwich's for breakfast and lunch, pasta or leftovers for dinner, barely have gas money.

Only way to success in my career of accounting is by obtaining a masters degree and sitting for my CPA, this GMAT is really holding me back.

My question is what can I ?!?!? I'm 25 I feel like the time is now, but I don't have the money for a prep course and I don't have the money to pay for the GMAT myself again $250.00 is a lot.

I thought about meeting with Baruch and explaining this to them, hoping they would consider with to join the program but require me to take the GMAT before I gradate or something.

Please Help me, shed some light please, I'm beginning to give up, and feel like this wasn't meant to be for me.
Intern
Intern
B
HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 10:27
Hey, it is hard to believe this but a lot of people around here go through a similar experience. I for one started my prep in summer, I have been through hell till I got where I am now (690, 720, 710) non official scores. I thought I'd be done by September. Came September I thought I'd take it on October and so forth and so forth now it is January and I still haven't taken the test. I have felt weak and about to give up for hundreds of times. But giving up won't cut it. It is fighting until the end. If I list all the problems I faced and still face, it will be a heavy read (I developed a back problem - couldn't sit down, my back still hurts, crashed my car, ran out of my savings and so forth and so forth). I thing I will write about them if I score well on the exam.

My advice is start your preparation for gmat $250 is a lot for me too, there are plenty of available resources (gmatclub for example) read about reward system here. I am from A developing country. Time properly. GMAT is important. It also prepares you for future study.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 02:21
Sluna wrote:
Long story short...I graduated with my undergrad in 2014, 3.8 GPA. I was an Resident Assistant, I held an internship with the City of New Haven, I was on Student Government, and I was also tennis team captain.

After I gradated, I was a little lost with what I really wanted to do. I decided to join the work force till I pick a position I wanted to works towards.

Fast forward to 2017, I want to go back to school to get my credits to sit for the CPA exam. Little did I know how much this was going to cost me. I began to look into programs online when I found out about HOFSTRA offering no application fee for their masters program.

I went ahead and submitted my application, and that's when I realized I had to take the GMAT. I schedule my exam for a week after I made the decision to apply to gradate school, of course I did not study thinking this would be a normal standard test. I scored the lowest possible score of 210.

HOFSTRA denied my application because of my GMAT score, they gave me another chance to re-take it and submit my scores within a month. This time, I bought a practice book from Amazon and I began to study.

Studying for this exam to take within a month, I felt the pressure to get this right this time. I scored a 270.

Now I am very discouraged and I love accounting (my current field) but I don't believe business school is for me :cry:

December 2017, I read up on Baruch College, and I decided to apply with my 270 score, because I saw on their site, even if you score low on your GMAT they can consider you due to other aspects of your application. A 3.8 GPA in undergrad, while multitasking with different roles I held and 3 years of full time work experience. I thought I would get some type of admission consideration.

But just like I thought they took one look at my GMAT score and denied me. I am a stronger student in a class room setting. GMAT prep course cost 1,300 and up. I do not have that kind of money. I spend 125 dollars on the application fee to Baruch, and now they won't re-consider my application for this FALL 2018 unless I re-take the GMAT test.

My only issue is paying student loans, paying a car note, and paying my bills I barely have money to eat, I'm pulling together egg sandwich's for breakfast and lunch, pasta or leftovers for dinner, barely have gas money.

Only way to success in my career of accounting is by obtaining a masters degree and sitting for my CPA, this GMAT is really holding me back.

My question is what can I ?!?!? I'm 25 I feel like the time is now, but I don't have the money for a prep course and I don't have the money to pay for the GMAT myself again $250.00 is a lot.

I thought about meeting with Baruch and explaining this to them, hoping they would consider with to join the program but require me to take the GMAT before I gradate or something.

Please Help me, shed some light please, I'm beginning to give up, and feel like this wasn't meant to be for me.

You need to study, take a course, bite the bullet and retake. Look at it from their perspective: you are in the LOWEST percentile. That's immensely unimpressive, and you would even be better off without any GMAT at all.

So really, you need to just study until you get a better score.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2018, 02:21

HELP WITH ADMISSIONS - GMAT SCORE

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap