GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

High variation in GMAT official preptest scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
High variation in GMAT official preptest scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 21:17
Hi, my GMAT exam is scheduled in two weeks. Last week i gave GMAT official prep test 2 and scored 710 (Q49/V38).
Somewhat satisfied with the score, i wanted to improve my performance and tried to work on the areas in which my performance was not good (Verbal - SC).

After 1 week of study i purchased the GMAT 3 & 4 official test kit and gave GMAT 3 today. And i scored a 640 (Q49/V27)!!!!

I do not know how to proceed now as i thought i had considerably improved my performance and within one week (b/w GMAT 2 and 3), how can my score drop so drastically from 710 to 640!

Would appreciate if anybody could help.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Hult
GPA: 3.85
Re: High variation in GMAT official preptest scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 22:18
pk107 wrote:
Hi, my GMAT exam is scheduled in two weeks. Last week i gave GMAT official prep test 2 and scored 710 (Q49/V38).
Somewhat satisfied with the score, i wanted to improve my performance and tried to work on the areas in which my performance was not good (Verbal - SC).

After 1 week of study i purchased the GMAT 3 & 4 official test kit and gave GMAT 3 today. And i scored a 640 (Q49/V27)!!!!

I do not know how to proceed now as i thought i had considerably improved my performance and within one week (b/w GMAT 2 and 3), how can my score drop so drastically from 710 to 640!

From my experience, now you can do two things, one is stick with preparation for some times then again take the mock and in in this case focus on verbal e-gmat can be a good sources. Another is keep confidence go for final test. I saw someone get 60 pint improvement in real test.

Hit Kudos, it you like it.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 22:46
pk107 wrote:

Had you encountered the GMATPrep 1&2 problems prior to attempting the test? Since 1&2 are free tests, the problems are more easily available and tend to pop up often - having solved the problems before taking the prep test could have inflated your score.

Test 3 pool of questions are very representative of those on the official GMAT and Test 4, I would argue, is slightly easier. [I got 770 in Test 4 and breezed through the quant when I had had encountered at least a few tricky problems on other Tests.]

Another contributing factor could be your mental state. It's easy to underestimate it's importance, but being in the right state of mind is absolutely critical to scoring well on the GMAT; even the Prep tests. I took my first official GMAT under extremely stressful conditions and scored a 640. [My 3 most recent Prep Test score prior to the attempt were 730, 760 and 740]

Bottom line is that GMAT Prep tests don't have as large a variance as you're suggesting - there certainly must have been other factors that you can diagnose and fix.

Side note: You've got a great Quant score, but if Verbal is your problem then you must must MUST reinforce your basics. It may seem a drag since you're only two weeks away from the test, but the ONLY way you improve in SC and CR is by reinforcing basics. You cannot improve your verbal score by solving more problems. My Verbal score went from V42 to V46 in 2 weeks of study by just filling gaps in my fundamentals [essentially by watching Ron Purewal videos - you'll find links to most of the videos on this forum somewhere.] It should help you get your score to V37 or more. Feel free to PM if you have questions regarding Verbal Strategy.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 23:40
Thanks for the reply. The only change i did was that i changed the order of attempting the sections between Gmat 2 & 3. In Gmat 2 i started with quant and in gmat 3 with verbal. However, on an average, i found the questions in the verbal section gmat 3 more difficult than Gmat 2. This made me loose a lot of time and so i had to guess last 5-6 questions (which all turned out to be incorrect in the end).
Other than that, all my test conditions were same.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 23:48
pk107 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The only change i did was that i changed the order of attempting the sections between Gmat 2 & 3. In Gmat 2 i started with quant and in gmat 3 with verbal. However, on an average, i found the questions in the verbal section gmat 3 more difficult than Gmat 2. This made me loose a lot of time and so i had to guess last 5-6 questions (which all turned out to be incorrect in the end).
Other than that, all my test conditions were same.

Verbal questions are easy to get stumped by or spend a lot of time on if there are gaps in your fundamentals. I would say that that is a large, albeit addressable concern in your case. With a firm grasp on the basics, you'll be able to breeze through the Verbal section. To your point, guessing in the last 5 question is where you score tanked. The GMAT severely punishes poor timing and getting multiple questions wrong in a row greatly damages your score - I reckon your Verbal score must have been in the early to mid-30s before the final 5 questions.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 13:57
Hi pk107,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:25
pk107 wrote:
Other than that, all my test conditions were sam
Apart from what shaarang brought up, one more point: make as few changes as possible as you get closer to your exam. Pick one section order and stick with it.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 17:18
Hi pk107,

Since there are a variety of possible reasons why your score dropped, I’d like to learn some more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some specific advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 06:26
Hi All,
I'm facing similar issues with my Prep test scores. My verbal scores have been on a downhill since PrepCAT 2. Basically I scored 38 on CAT2 thereafter 34 on CAT3 and 28 on CAT4. The major change in my strategy has been focusing majorly on first 10 questions as I read on a GC forum that the first 10 questions are important. Apart from that, there hasn't been much change in my strategy. I started my prep in around September end and my GMAT date is in couple of weeks. For SC I referred MGMAT and OG for others. Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Manjit
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 15:15
Hi Manjit,

First off, I suggest that you start your own post thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one), so that the discussion can stay focused on your specific situation and questions. In your thread, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals. For example:

Studies:
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 23:31
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Manjit,

First off, I suggest that you start your own post thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one), so that the discussion can stay focused on your specific situation and questions. In your thread, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals. For example:

Studies:

Goals:

Rich

Thanks.

I would start a separate post for same

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 18:25
Hi Manjit,

I’m happy to provide some advice regarding your verbal score; however, I too would first like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you response to the questions asked, I can provide specific advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: High variation in GMAT official preptest scores &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2018, 18:25

High variation in GMAT official preptest scores

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap