It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 12

Concentration: Economics, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18
GMAT Date: 03-17-2015
Premium Member
Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (03:22) correct 47% (01:42) wrong based on 639 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil War regard Confederate generals as superior to their Union counterparts. They also acknowledge that the Confederate soldier was, on average, more committed to the cause and, therefore, willing to fight harder than the Union soldier. However, most of these same scholars agree with my contention that when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the historian's contention?

a) Both the Confederate and Union troops started the war using similar single-shot muzzle-loading guns to which bayonets could be attached.
b) The Confederacy had a greater proportion of officers who had attended the United States Military Academy at West Point and had served with distinction in the Mexican War.
c) The Union had four times the total population of the Confederacy and most of the industrial manufacturing in North America.
d) The Confederacy won several important victories early in the war and earned the respect of foreign leaders.
e) By the end of the war in 1865, many Union soldiers were armed with the new Spencer repeating rifles that fired seven shots before reloading; the Confederate army continued to rely on slower, single-shot weapons for its soldiers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 61 [1], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 562 [2], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
rajthakkar wrote:
Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil War regard Confederate generals as superior to their Union counterparts. They also acknowledge that the Confederate soldier was, on average, more committed to the cause and, therefore, willing to fight harder than the Union soldier. However, most of these same scholars agree with my contention that when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France.

a) Both the Confederate and Union troops started the war using similar single-shot muzzle-loading guns to which bayonets could be attached.
b) The Confederacy had a greater proportion of officers who had attended the United States Military Academy at West Point and had served with distinction in the Mexican War.
c) The Union had four times the total population of the Confederacy and most of the industrial manufacturing in North America.
d) The Confederacy won several important victories early in the war and earned the respect of foreign leaders.
e) By the end of the war in 1865, many Union soldiers were armed with the new Spencer repeating rifles that fired seven shots before reloading; the Confederate army continued to rely on slower, single-shot weapons for its soldiers.

First lets sort out that what is contention 'Scholars are saying C were better than U' , our historian is saying that 'C were helped by major foreign power' and most of the scholars agree to this .

---this is just another fact . it is not strengthening the historian contention.
--- This one too does not supports the historian's contention.
---this looks promising , as this stmt tells us that most of the C were less in number and U were more and so C would not have prevailed without help of foreign power.
---this one is very tricky (atleast for me) and here is my reasoning , C had earned respect of foreign leaders , when would this happen when C were fighting alone or were helped by Foreign Power .
C would earn more respect when former is the case i.e. they were fighting without foreign help. however historian days that they were helped by foreign powers and this is his contention.
so this is also a wrong choice.
---Ok . So C were using slower single shot guns, how come they were helped by foreign powers ? this is easy to out option.

Correct answer is C .
Suggestions and discussions on above reasoning are welcome.
Thanks
Lucky

consider +1 kudo if you like this post.

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 562 [2], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Economics, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18
GMAT Date: 03-17-2015
Premium Member
Re: Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 04:55
Lucky2783 wrote:
rajthakkar wrote:

First lets sort out that what is contention 'Scholars are saying C were better than U' , our historian is saying that 'C were helped by major foreign power' and most of the scholars agree to this .

---this is just another fact . it is not strengthening the historian contention.
--- This one too does not supports the historian's contention.
---this looks promising , as this stmt tells us that most of the C were less in number and U were more and so C would not have prevailed without help of foreign power.
---this one is very tricky (atleast for me) and here is my reasoning , C had earned respect of foreign leaders , when would this happen when C were fighting alone or were helped by Foreign Power .
C would earn more respect when former is the case i.e. they were fighting without foreign help. however historian days that they were helped by foreign powers and this is his contention.
so this is also a wrong choice.
---Ok . So C were using slower single shot guns, how come they were helped by foreign powers ? this is easy to out option.

Correct answer is C .
Suggestions and discussions on above reasoning are welcome.
Thanks
Lucky

consider +1 kudo if you like this post.

I am non native and dont know much about american civil war....so my question is that how can we assume that all the population was involved in war?
consider this scenario....If the contenders have less population but more soldiers than the union hs....then???

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 562 [0], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 05:13
I dont think we are talking about entire population.
there were two soldier groups U and C where U=4C and U contains more people from industry .

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 562 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 08:31
rajthakkar wrote:

Does not this question require little knowledge of civil war?Its getting difficult for me to comprehend fully as I am a non-native.

I have no knowledge of the civil war and didn't find this question difficult. The passage starts and praises the confederate troops throughout until the last sentence.
The "However" signals a contrast is coming and the last sentence basically says that the confederate could not win the war without the help of the union.

So to strengthen this question, I was looking for an answer that further explains why the confederacy couldn't win without the union's help.

A) & E) are details
B) Does not add any detail about the union.
D) Weakener, praises the confederacy

Ans: C) the only choice that shows the power of the union in respect to the confederacy

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 01:29
This post received
KUDOS
A,B and D are off.
Between C and E.

C shows the superiority of the Union Soldiers. E shows the superiority of the rifles. Hence, C.

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [1], given: 165

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [1], given: 185

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
E refers to the end of the war. However the argument talks about the beginning of the war. So clearly insufficient. A,B,D are simply out of scope or weaken the argument, hence C is the only remaining and therefore the correct choice.

Kudos [?]: 70 [1], given: 185

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 59

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 09:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E and C were both Strong contenders, but with E the time period is 1865 and the author is saying that it was clear in 1861 itself the Confederates were at a disadvantage against union

With C, I was thinking about the population factor as well. But, on the second part, we are told that most of the industrial manufacturing stayed with Union. So, even if the soldiers are superior, without proper equipment, they would be at a disadvantage and help from foreign nations regarding this would improve their chances...

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 59

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 07:20
rajthakkar wrote:

Dear experts,

Please explain why option C is correct but not E :(

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 472

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 22:32

Two type of soldier
Confederate soldier & Union soldier

Contention : Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France.

Population strength advantage & industrial manufacturing advantage over Confederacy so CORRECT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 22:33
sairam595 wrote:
rajthakkar wrote:

Dear experts,

Please explain why option C is correct but not E :(

E is wrong because of "By the end of the war in 1865" while we have to prove that When the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Kudos [?]: 217 [1], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
This is NOT that great a question!

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1144 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:06
Keats wrote:
This is NOT that great a question!

Dear Keats

This is a Veritas question...

Please follow the link to the official explanation from the creator of this question to better appreciate this question in the other forum -

http://www.beatthegmat.com/strengthen-h ... 67560.html

Happy Preparations..

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1144 [0], given: 327

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
S

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Abhishek009 for re-directing. I understand what I was missing :D but somehow I feel the distinction between C and E could have been more clarified.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Schools: Booth '18, CBS '18

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 09:39
when I firsted answered this question, I made a false answer E. It's very tricky because E refers to "by the end of the war in 1865", which does not mean that rifle superiority at the beginning of beginning of the war is equal to that of beginning of the war. Through I don't agree with C however, which is the least wrong answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 00:45
I'm not able to understand what exactly we need to strengthen?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 04:55
rakaisraka wrote:

The historian is the speaker, and he says, "my contention that when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France."

Therefore the contention that needs to be strengthened is "when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France."

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 05:47
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:

The historian is the speaker, and he says, "my contention that when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France."

Therefore the contention that needs to be strengthened is "when the Civil War began in 1861, it was already true that the Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France."

Thanks , can you please suggest how option C strengthens?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 10:02
rakaisraka wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:

Thanks , can you please suggest how option C strengthens?

Conclusion: The Confederacy could not prevail without the intervention of a major foreign power such as Great Britain or France.

As option C states, if the Union had four times the population of Confederacy, Confederacy would be outnumbered unless it is supported by some other form of power (foreign power). Thus option C strengthens the conclusion: it would be difficult for Confederacy to prevail unless adequate (foreign) support to compensate for its lower population was available.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 05:48
noTh1ng wrote:
E refers to the end of the war. However the argument talks about the beginning of the war. So clearly insufficient. A,B,D are simply out of scope or weaken the argument, hence C is the only remaining and therefore the correct choice.

Only this post explains the reason why we should eliminate (E)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 181

Re: Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 05:48

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Historian: The vast majority of scholars studying the American Civil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap