It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Holiday receipts the total sales recorded in the fourth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [4], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Holiday receipts the total sales recorded in the fourth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:38) correct 21% (01:27) wrong based on 191 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Holiday receipts—the total sales recorded in the fourth quarter of the year—determine the economic success or failure of many retail businesses. Camco, a retailer selling just one camera model, is an excellent example. Camco's holiday receipts, on average, account for a third of its yearly total receipts and about half of its yearly profits.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true about Camco on the basis of them?

(A) Its fixed expenses per camera sold are higher during the fourth quarter than for any of the other three quarters.
(B) It makes more profit during the first and third quarters combined than during the fourth quarter.
(C) Its per-camera retail price is lower, on average, during the fourth quarter than during any one of the first three quarters.
(D) It makes less profit, on average, for a given dollar amount of sales during the first three quarters combined than during the fourth quarter.
(E) The per-camera price it pays to wholesalers is higher, on average, during the fourth quarter than during any of the other three quarters.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Last edited by abhimahna on 15 Oct 2017, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 191 [4], given: 14

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3602 [2], given: 123

Premium Member
Re: Holiday receipts the total sales recorded in the fourth [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
CharuKapoor wrote:
Holiday receipts—the total sales recorded in the fourth quarter of the year—determine the economic success or failure of many retail businesses. Camco, a retailer selling just one camera model, is an excellent example. Camco's holiday receipts, on average, account for a third of its yearly total receipts and about half of its yearly profits.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true about Camco on the basis of them?

(A) Its fixed expenses per camera sold are higher during the fourth quarter than for any of the other three quarters.
(B) It makes more profit during the first and third quarters combined than during the fourth quarter.
(C) Its per-camera retail price is lower, on average, during the fourth quarter than during any one of the first three quarters.
(D) It makes less profit, on average, for a given dollar amount of sales during the first three quarters combined than during the fourth quarter.
(E) The per-camera price it pays to wholesalers is higher, on average, during the fourth quarter than during any of the other three quarters.

Good question :-D
IMO, D is correct.

The stimulus says:
- 4th quarter sales = 1/3 total sales,
- 4th quarter profit = 1/2 total profit.

==> Clearly, Camco makes more profit on average, for a given dollar amount of sales during the 4th quarter. It also means: Camco makes less profit, on average, for a given dollar amount of sales during the first three quarters combined than during the fourth quarter.

Waiting for OA.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3602 [2], given: 123

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 117 [2], given: 3

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Camco's holiday receipts = 1/3 (yearly total receipts)
Example if yearly total receipts = 1000
Camco's holiday receipts =333.33
Camco's holiday profit = ½ (yearly profits)
Example if yearly profits = 100
Camco's holiday profit =50

So in fourth quarter Camco makes as much profit as in all 3 quarters combined by selling only 1/3rd amount of the year.
Which means profit per dollor sales is more in 4th quarter than all other quarters.

Hence Choice (D) is the correct answer.

The Kudo please :)

Kudos [?]: 117 [2], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 214 [2], given: 67

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
CharuKapoor wrote:

Many retail businesses make a living on sales from the fourth quarter, i.e. holiday receipts. For Camco the receipts on average account for 1/3 of Total yearly receipts and for 1/2 Total yearly profits.

\(\frac{Number[Q_4]}{Number[Q_1+Q_2+Q_3+Q_4]}=\frac{1}{3}\)

\(\frac{Profit[Q_4]}{Profit[Q_1+Q_2+Q_3+Q_4]}=\frac{1}{2}\)

Quote:

The expenses could be lower, same or higher. Dependant on the selling price, the equations would still be true.

Quote:

What about the second quarter? We cannot split the year in this way, since the argument distinguishes between the fourth quarter and the rest three quarters.

Quote:

May be true: Camco sells many more cameras during the 4th quarter than during the rest of the year. Economies of scale.
May not be true: Camco sells the average number of cameras at higher price, thus gaining greater profit.

Quote:

Must be true. Key words: "on average, for a given dollar amount of sales". Look at the equations.

Quote:

Wrong for the same reason as A.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Kudos [?]: 214 [2], given: 67

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 07:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 13:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 23:10
chose D based on elimination. no info given on per-camera hence A, C ,E are out. for B, 4th quarter account for about half its yearly profit so B may or may not be true, out.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Holiday receipts the total sales recorded in the fourth   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2017, 23:10

Holiday receipts the total sales recorded in the fourth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap