Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How Will You Decide on Bschool Concentration?

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: How Do You Decide on Bschool Concentration? [#permalink]
I follow my passion... which is money :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I voted 'other.'
I'm not sure - I'll just figure it out as I go :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Money is for sure! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
For me, whatever I decide, never works out. But, hoping money should work out :)
I'll chose what I want to do - speciality, GM for me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
It seems like the poll options are a mix of concentrations (eg school specialities) and career paths (IB/HF/etc). I have a pretty good sense of what I want to do following graduation, and hope to refine that goal through talking with students, career services, alumni, company presentations, etc. Then I'll take the courses that will either best prepare me for that career, or that I think would be interesting, and let the concentrations fall where they may.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I'll probably get 2 or 3 concentrations. Right now I am thinking marketing,strategy,finance. But I guess that can change.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Why would you go to B-school if you didn't already have a pretty good idea of what you wanted to do? I'm following my professional interests into school... I figured everyone else was doing the same thing (or whoring themselves for money).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I basically just took the classes that interested me, and whatever that happened to give me, is whatever that happened to give me.

As it stands I'll end up with three concentrations - for sure finance, strategy and entrepreneurship. I may also end up with organizational behavior, but it depends what i end up taking next quarter.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
Why would you go to B-school if you didn't already have a pretty good idea of what you wanted to do? I'm following my professional interests into school... I figured everyone else was doing the same thing (or whoring themselves for money).

Well for me, I have an idea of the concentrations I'd like but if I take a course and am fascinated by something entirely different, I'm open to changing/adding to the concentrations :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Toubab wrote:

I think a lot of people choose B school with some idea of what they want to do, but I think one really limits themselves if they enter B school with only one out. I guarantee if you polled a bunch of bschool entrants in 1989 asking what they wanted to do, there'd be some overlap with today's answers (banking, finance, marketing etc) but many other differences (way more in technology, consulting, venture capital, social enterprise, healthcare etc etc). I'm sure in 20 years, when all of us will still be very much mid-career, we will have seen just as many changes. By being in Bschool you are going to have exposure to different areas/specialties that you probably never even considered before. As a result I feel that while one should have some idea of what they want(very easy to get overwhelmed if you don't), they should at least sample some other options.

For example, I know I really want to get into international business and made that a big determining factor on how I selected schools. But why didn't I apply to Thunderbird or Moore(the #1 and #2 schools in intl bus by US News)? Because I didn't want to pigeonhole myself.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Right now I am thinking finance, strategy and either entrepreneurship or marketing.

I figure I'll play it by ear like some others have said, and if I end up liking a certain subject I'll go ahead and change it. Money is a definite factor for me, but I know with myself - money will come if I enjoy what I do. If I went the IB/MC route because of the salary, I know I would burn out because I wouldn't enjoy it, and end up not making as much long-term.
GMAT Club Bot