GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar

How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 312
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 19:23
1
13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:14) correct 49% (02:11) wrong based on 371 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8?

A. 5000
B. 4096
C. 6560
D. 4095
E. 8000
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51197
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2012, 01:50
3
4
cyberjadugar wrote:
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8?

A. 5000
B. 4096
C. 6560
D. 4095
E. 8000


The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

We are given 8 digits to form the numbers of a type ****. Now, each slot in **** can take 8 values, so total numbers would be 8*8*8*8=8^4, but we should exclude number 0 (since 0 is one of the digits given than 8^4 will include 0 too). So, the final answer would be 8^4-1.

Now, the question becomes how to calculate this value. The units digit of 8^4 would be 6, so the units digit of 8^4-1 would be 5. Only answer choice D fits.

Answer: D.

Similar question to practice:
how-many-four-digit-positive-integers-can-be-formed-by-using-133069.html
how-many-positive-integers-of-four-different-digits-each-100898.html
how-many-even-numbers-greater-than-300-can-be-formed-with-100578.html
how-many-even-4-digit-numbers-can-be-formed-so-that-the-95371.html
m04-70602.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 27
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 20:29
2
1
Answer D.

Solution:

We are missing digits 5 and 9 in the question. So we have 8 digits for each position (ones,tens,hundreds,thousands).

The numbers that can be constructed using 8 digits in 4 positions = (8 x 8 x 8 x 8) - 1 (To disregard the case 0000)
= 4096 - 1
= 4095

If you have use 10 digits (0 thru 9), you have (10 x 10 x 10 x 10) - 1 = 9999 numbers.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 312
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2012, 01:54
Bunuel wrote:
The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

Hi,

I am just curious, that what difference it would make if we say positive integers or natural numbers?

Regards,
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51197
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2012, 02:03
1
cyberjadugar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

Hi,

I am just curious, that what difference it would make if we say positive integers or natural numbers?

Regards,


Not much. Though notice that "there is no universal agreement about whether to include zero in the set of natural numbers: some define the natural numbers to be the positive integers {1, 2, 3, ...}, while for others the term designates the non-negative integers {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}" so I've never seen the official GMAT question using "natural numbers".

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: ISB 14...:)
Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 29
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2012, 02:36
Bunuel wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

Hi,

I am just curious, that what difference it would make if we say positive integers or natural numbers?

Regards,


Not much. Though notice that "there is no universal agreement about whether to include zero in the set of natural numbers: some define the natural numbers to be the positive integers {1, 2, 3, ...}, while for others the term designates the non-negative integers {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}" so I've never seen the official GMAT question using "natural numbers".

Hope it's clear.


I always thought that
Natural numbers = {1,2,3...}
and Whole numbers = {0,1,2,3..}

Never knew about this ambiguity.
Thanks!.. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 380
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 05:54
2
According to what i have read - it is always better to assume natural numbers beginning from 01 onward (for the gmat) unless otherwise stated. Assuming that to be the case we can sub divide the problem into :

A) Four digit Numbers : _ _ _ _ , The ones place - hundreds place can be filled by any one of the 8 numbers given (the problem speaks nothing about NOT REPEATING the numbers so we have to assume that they can be repeated) the thousands place can be filled by any number except "0".. This gives us 7 x 8 x 8 x 8 = 3584

B) Three digit Numbers : _ _ _ , The ones place - tens Place can be filled by any one of the 8 numbers given ( the problem speaks nothing about NOT REPEATING the numbers so we have to assume that they can be repeated) , the hundreds place can be filled by only 7 of the given 8 numbers (If we use "0" we will end up with a two digit number ). This gives us 7 x 8 x 8 = 448

C) Two digit numbers : _ _ , The ones place can be filled up by any one of the 8 numbers given , and the tens place by any 7 of the 8 ... This gives us 7 x 8 = 56

D) Assuming that zero is not a natural number , we have seven different possibilities for the one digit numbers . 7

Add A + B + C + D , This gives us 3584 + 448 + 56 + 7 = 4095 (D)

Now let us assume that ZERO is a NATURAL number (as some mathematicians do) ... A thru C is not effected by this assumption as the resultant would have meant that a four number digit with a zero at the beginning would have effectively made it a three digit no. , and a 0 to begin a three digit number would make it a two digit number etc ... The only difference including ZERO to be a natural number would have made for D , in that it would have given it 8 possibilities instead of 7 ... Which would have added 1 to our total making it 4096. Simply by looking at the answer choices we can determine that the test maker wanted natural numbers to begin from 1 and not from 0 ( as per the answer choices) ..
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Posts: 118
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 01:13
cyberjadugar wrote:
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8?

A. 5000
B. 4096
C. 6560
D. 4095
E. 8000

the answer is D
there are 7 single digit natural numbers . 0 is not a natural number.
there are 7x8=56 two digit numbers
there are 7x8x8=448 three digit numbers
there are 7x8x8x8=3584 four digit numbers.
Hence, there are 4095 numbers in all.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 175
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 22:28
The question has to be corrected to read 'positive' instead of natural then? Please correct it.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 63
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 07:22
Bunuel,

The question did not say 4 digit integers, is it right here to consider only 4 digit numbers here.

Regards,

Praveen




Bunuel wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8?

A. 5000
B. 4096
C. 6560
D. 4095
E. 8000


The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

We are given 8 digits to form the numbers of a type ****. Now, each slot in **** can take 8 values, so total numbers would be 8*8*8*8=8^4, but we should exclude number 0 (since 0 is one of the digits given than 8^4 will include 0 too). So, the final answer would be 8^4-1.

Now, the question becomes how to calculate this value. The units digit of 8^4 would be 6, so the units digit of 8^4-1 would be 5. Only answer choice D fits.

Answer: D.

Similar question to practice:
how-many-four-digit-positive-integers-can-be-formed-by-using-133069.html
how-many-positive-integers-of-four-different-digits-each-100898.html
how-many-even-numbers-greater-than-300-can-be-formed-with-100578.html
how-many-even-4-digit-numbers-can-be-formed-so-that-the-95371.html
m04-70602.html

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51197
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 10:09
Praveengeol wrote:
Bunuel,

The question did not say 4 digit integers, is it right here to consider only 4 digit numbers here.

Regards,

Praveen




Bunuel wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8?

A. 5000
B. 4096
C. 6560
D. 4095
E. 8000


The question should read:
How many positive integers less than 10,000 can be formed using the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8?

We are given 8 digits to form the numbers of a type ****. Now, each slot in **** can take 8 values, so total numbers would be 8*8*8*8=8^4, but we should exclude number 0 (since 0 is one of the digits given than 8^4 will include 0 too). So, the final answer would be 8^4-1.

Now, the question becomes how to calculate this value. The units digit of 8^4 would be 6, so the units digit of 8^4-1 would be 5. Only answer choice D fits.

Answer: D.

Similar question to practice:
how-many-four-digit-positive-integers-can-be-formed-by-using-133069.html
how-many-positive-integers-of-four-different-digits-each-100898.html
how-many-even-numbers-greater-than-300-can-be-formed-with-100578.html
how-many-even-4-digit-numbers-can-be-formed-so-that-the-95371.html
m04-70602.html

Hope it helps.


Positive integers less than 10,000 include single-digit integers, 2-digit integers, 3-digit integers and 4-digit integers. 8^4 gives all of them. For example, if we choose 0 for the first 3 *'s we get single-digit integers and if we choose 0 for the first 2 *'s we get 2-digit integers.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 67
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 07:14
I chose the following approach to solving this question:

Total numbers to choose from: 8
Scope: 0 - 9999

1-digit numbers: 7 (all except 0)
2-digit numbers: 7 x 8 = 56
3-digit numbers: 7 x 8 x 8 = 448
4-digit numbers: 7 x 8 x 8 x 8 = 56 x 64 = 3584

Total: 7 + 56 + 448 + 3584 = 4095

Note:
Don't make the careless mistake that I made: I first added 1 to 4095 and picked 4096 because I thought 10,000 should be included. But the question asks for less than 10,000!
_________________

Please kindly +Kudos if my posts or questions help you!

My debrief: Self-study: How to improve from 620(Q39,V36) to 720(Q49,V39) in 25 days!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: No Progress without Struggle
Joined: 04 Aug 2017
Posts: 43
Location: Armenia
GPA: 3.4
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 12:13
vomhorizon wrote:
According to what i have read - it is always better to assume natural numbers beginning from 01 onward (for the gmat) unless otherwise stated. Assuming that to be the case we can sub divide the problem into :

A) Four digit Numbers : _ _ _ _ , The ones place - hundreds place can be filled by any one of the 8 numbers given (the problem speaks nothing about NOT REPEATING the numbers so we have to assume that they can be repeated) the thousands place can be filled by any number except "0".. This gives us 7 x 8 x 8 x 8 = 3584

B) Three digit Numbers : _ _ _ , The ones place - tens Place can be filled by any one of the 8 numbers given ( the problem speaks nothing about NOT REPEATING the numbers so we have to assume that they can be repeated) , the hundreds place can be filled by only 7 of the given 8 numbers (If we use "0" we will end up with a two digit number ). This gives us 7 x 8 x 8 = 448

C) Two digit numbers : _ _ , The ones place can be filled up by any one of the 8 numbers given , and the tens place by any 7 of the 8 ... This gives us 7 x 8 = 56

D) Assuming that zero is not a natural number , we have seven different possibilities for the one digit numbers . 7

Add A + B + C + D , This gives us 3584 + 448 + 56 + 7 = 4095 (D)

Now let us assume that ZERO is a NATURAL number (as some mathematicians do) ... A thru C is not effected by this assumption as the resultant would have meant that a four number digit with a zero at the beginning would have effectively made it a three digit no. , and a 0 to begin a three digit number would make it a two digit number etc ... The only difference including ZERO to be a natural number would have made for D , in that it would have given it 8 possibilities instead of 7 ... Which would have added 1 to our total making it 4096. Simply by looking at the answer choices we can determine that the test maker wanted natural numbers to begin from 1 and not from 0 ( as per the answer choices) ..

You have earned this kudos, thank you for a comprehensive explanation.
_________________

Seryozha Sargsyan 21

Contact: sargsyanseryozha@gmail.com

What you think, you become,
What you feel, you attract,
What you imagine, you create.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 12:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many natural numbers that are less than 10,000 can be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.