GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2010, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:57) correct 47% (01:06) wrong based on 234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a better than 50% probability that at least 1 of them was born in a leap year?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Proabablity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2010, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nitishmahajan wrote:
How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a better than 50% probability that at least 1 of them was born in a leap year?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

I found this question interesting, so thought of sharing it you folks.

Cheers

Probability of a randomly selected person NOT to be born in a leap year is \(\frac{3}{4}\).

Among 2 people, probability that none of them was born in a leap is \(\frac{3}{4}*\frac{3}{4}=\frac{9}{16}\). The probability at least one born in leap from these two is \(1- \frac{9}{16}=\frac{7}{16}<\frac{1}{2}\).

So, we are looking for such n (# of people), when \(1-(\frac{3}{4})^n>\frac{1}{2}\)

For \(n=3\) --> \(1-\frac{27}{64}=\frac{37}{64}>\frac{1}{2}\)

Thus min 3 people are needed.

Answer: C.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member
Re: probability... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:41
My solution

Prob(at least one of them was born in a leap year) > 50%
P(A) = 1 - P(A')
1 - Prob(none were born in a leap year) > 1/2
Prob(none) - 1 < -1/2
Prob(none) < 1/2

Assume that there are n people.
Prob(none) = (3/4)^n
(3/4)^n < 1/2
3^n < (4^n)/2
3^n < (2^2n)/2
3^n < 2^(2n-1)

If n = 3, 3^3 < 2^5 is true (27 < 32)

Thus, The answer is 3

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 18:57
cipher wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Hi Bunuel,

Don't you think that this question is faulty?

The question ask about the probability better than 50%. If we have 4 people we still have probability better than 50% and if we chose 5 people it will be even more. So how can be the answer C
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Alberta FT '16
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2014, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
This is how I would ans .

P(people born in leap year) = 1/4 (because out of every 4 years 1 is a leap year )
P(People not born in leap year ) = 3/4

Now for any n no. of people (3/4)^n is Probability of those people who were not born in leap year

As total probability is 1

1-(3/4)^n represents the cumulative probability of all those people born in leap year ( Eg this P includes probability of 1 person in group to be
born in leap year to n persons in a group to be born in leap year - which ans at least 1 person is born in leap year )

So 1-(3/4)^n>1/2

after trying diff values of n , it comes out as 3
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
Probability of a person to be born in a leap year = 1/4 ... <1/2
Probability of atleast one person out of two to be born in a leap year = 1/4+1/4=1/2 .... not >1/2
Probability of atleast one person out of 3 to be born in a leap year = 1/4+1/4+1/4=3/4..... >1/2

Hence minimum 3 people are required.
Ans = C
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 01:54
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Cheers

Probability of a randomly selected person NOT to be born in a leap year is \(\frac{3}{4}\).

Among 2 people, probability that none of them was born in a leap is \(\frac{3}{4}*\frac{3}{4}=\frac{9}{16}\). The probability at least one born in leap from these two is \(1- \frac{9}{16}=\frac{7}{16}<\frac{1}{2}\).

So, we are looking for such n (# of people), when \(1-(\frac{3}{4})^n>\frac{1}{2}\)

Bunuel
how is Probability of a randomly selected person NOT to be born in a leap year is \(\frac{3}{4}\). ???

if you consider years 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 .... Here 1896 and 1904 are the only leap years.
How did you generalize probability not being a leap year to be 3/4 ?
And also question didn't ask about minimum number of people needed. Ans can be 3 or 4 or 5

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :-)

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 03:48
VenoMftw wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Cheers

Bunuel
how is Probability of a randomly selected person NOT to be born in a leap year is \(\frac{3}{4}\). ???

if you consider years 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 .... Here 1896 and 1904 are the only leap years.
How did you generalize probability not being a leap year to be 3/4 ?
And also question didn't ask about minimum number of people needed. Ans can be 3 or 4 or 5

Yes, every 100's year is not leap but for this question it's implied that 1 in 4 years is leap.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 02:50
If you have 1 person, the chance that he's born in a leap year is \(\frac{1}{4}\)
If you have 2 persons the chances are \(\frac{2}{4}\) = 50%
We need AT LEAST 50%, so 1 extra person will do the job.

We need 3 persons.

C.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: What is the minimum number of randomly chosen people needed in order t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
reto wrote:
What is the minimum number of randomly chosen people needed in order to have a better-than-50% chance that at least one of them was born in a leap year?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Keeping it simple:

P (A person was born in leap year) = 1/4
This is less than 50% - not the answer

P (A or B was born in a leap year) = P (A born in leap year) + P (B born in leap year) - P (Both born in leap year)

The two events are independent. Probability that A was born is a leap year is independent of the probability that B was born in a leap year.
So P(Both) = P(A)*P(B)

P (A or B was born in a leap year) = 1/4 + 1/4 - (1/4)*(1/4) = 1/2 - 1/16

This is less than 50% but close - not the answer

So when you pick, three people, the probability of someone born in a leap year will be higher than 50%.

If you want to calculate it, you can do it as given below:

P(A or B or C was born in a leap year) = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 + 1/64 = 1/2 + 1/16 + 1/64 (same as the sets concept)

This is definitely more than 50%.

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: What is the minimum number of randomly chosen people needed in order t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 21:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Or we can reverse the problem. If the probability someone is born in a leap year is greater than 1/2, then the probability no one was born in a leap year needs to be less than 1/2.

If we pick one person, the probability they weren't born in a leap year is 3/4. If we pick two people, the probability both were not born in a leap year is (3/4)(3/4) = (3/4)^2 = 9/16. That's still bigger than 1/2, but if we pick a third person, the probability none of the three people was born in a leap year is (3/4)^3 which is less than 1/2, which means the probability someone was born in a leap year is now greater than 1/2. So the answer is three.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 00:27
reto wrote:
What is the minimum number of randomly chosen people needed in order to have a better-than-50% chance that at least one of them was born in a leap year?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Every 4 consecutive years have 1 Leap year and 3 normal years

i.e. Probability of an year to be leap year = 1/4
and Probability of an year to NOT to be leap year = 1/4

Probability of 1 randomly selected year to be NON leap year = (3/4) i.e. Greater than 50%

Probability of 2 randomly selected year to be NON leap year = (3/4)*(3/4) = 9/16 i.e. Greater than 50%

Probability of 3 randomly selected year to be NON leap year = (3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4) = 27/64 i.e. Less than 50% i.e. there are more than 50% chances that atleast one of the selected 3 years will be a Leap Year

Hence - 3 Years

Answer: option C

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 10:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
reto wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Keeping it simple:

I understand and follow this part

P (A or B was born in a leap year) = P (A born in leap year) + P (B born in leap year) - P (Both born in leap year)

Because we are looking for "at least one" shouldn't we be trying to determine P(A, or B, or Both) born in a leap year? I had the same answer as you and had the correct answer but probabilities are a bit of a weakness of mine so trying to work on it. I will show below my working.

The two events are independent. Probability that A was born is a leap year is independent of the probability that B was born in a leap year.
So P(Both) = P(A)*P(B)

So when you pick, three people, the probability of someone born in a leap year will be higher than 50%.

P(A or B or C was born in a leap year) = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 + 1/64 = 1/2 + 1/16 + 1/64 (same as the sets concept)

Answer (C)

#If one is selected P(A born in a leap year) = 1/4 or 25%

#If two are selected the probability that at least one is born in a leap year P(A only, B only, or A & B) = P(A) + P(B) + P(A&B) = (1/4 * 3/4) + (3/4 * 1/4) + (1/4 * 1/4) = 7/16

From here I just made the assumption that 3 people would push it above 50% and selected C.

I am just curious of the method that VeritasPrepKarishma used... Maybe there is a Thread or Blog post you could point me to that explains this in more detail.

Thanks in advance!

If you found my post useful, please consider throwing me a Kudos... Every bit helps :)

Expert Post
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 21:42
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
DropBear wrote:
reto wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Keeping it simple:

Because we are looking for "at least one" shouldn't we be trying to determine P(A, or B, or Both) born in a leap year? I had the same answer as you and had the correct answer but probabilities are a bit of a weakness of mine so trying to work on it. I will show below my working.

So P(Both) = P(A)*P(B)

Answer (C)

#If two are selected the probability that at least one is born in a leap year P(A only, B only, or A & B) = P(A) + P(B) + P(A&B) = (1/4 * 3/4) + (3/4 * 1/4) + (1/4 * 1/4) = 7/16

From here I just made the assumption that 3 people would push it above 50% and selected C.

I am just curious of the method that VeritasPrepKarishma used... Maybe there is a Thread or Blog post you could point me to that explains this in more detail.

Thanks in advance!

This method is a counterpart of SETS formulas we use.

10 people like A and 20 people like B. 5 like both A and B. So how many people like A or B?

n(A or B) = n(A) + n(B) - n(A and B)
We subtract n(A and B) because it is counted twice - once in n(A) and another time in n(B). But we want to count it only once so subtract it out once.
n(a or B) gives us the number of people who like at least one of A and B.

Similarly, we can use this method for probability
p(A or B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A and B)

It is exactly the same concept. It gives us the probability that at least one of two people are born in a leap year.
When considering p(A), p(B) is to be ignored and when c considering p(B), p(A) is to be ignored. We take care of both when we subtract p(A and B).

Similarly, we can use the sets concept for 3 people using the three overlapping sets formula:

n(A or B or C) = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) - n(A and B) - n(B and C) - n(C and A) + n(A and B and C)

it becomes
p(A or B or C) = p(A) + p(B) + p(C) - p(A and B) - p(B and C) - p(C and A) + p(A and B and C)

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DropBear wrote:
reto wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Keeping it simple:

So P(Both) = P(A)*P(B)

Answer (C)

Thanks in advance!

Also, check out this blog post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/01 ... e-couples/

Here I have used sets in a combination problem. Conceptually they are all the same.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 03:54
good question. But i doubt whether we can solve like this

#If two is selected P(A,B born in a leap year) = 2/4

Since we need more than 50% we pickup 3 as it is minimal among others.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 04:31
Mechmeera wrote:

Hi Mechmeera,

Highlighted step is the wrong step that you have written

Because when you select two individuals then one of them can be born in Leap Year and other is not and vise versa as well

So Probability of both A and B born in Leap year = (1/4)for A * (1/4)for B = 1/16

But Probability of One of them Born in leap year = (1/4)*(3/4) + (1/4)*(3/4) = 6/16

i.e. Probability that atleast one of A and B born in Leap year = (1/16)+(6/16) = 7/16 which is LESS than 50%

But when you follow the same process for 3 people then the probability exceeds 50%

I hope it helps!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Expert Post
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 22:08
Mechmeera wrote:

The thought process is correct but the execution is not.
The method I have used is the same as this. When two are selected, the probability that at least one of them has bday in a leap year is 2/4 - 1/16, not only 2/4. I have explained 'why' here: what-is-the-minimum-number-of-randomly-chosen-people-needed-in-order-t-203018.html#p1559070

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 22:06
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Cheers

Hi Bunuel,

What is wrong in the following approach?

Cases considered :
1. Born in a leap year
2. Not born in a leap year

In that case, the probability of not born in a leap year =1/2

And subsequently, the probability that at least one of them is born in a leap year would turn out to be greater than 50% for 2 people.

Please help.

Thank you.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 22:13
Bakshi121092 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

Cheers

Hi Bunuel,

What is wrong in the following approach?

Cases considered :
1. Born in a leap year
2. Not born in a leap year

In that case, the probability of not born in a leap year =1/2

And subsequently, the probability that at least one of them is born in a leap year would turn out to be greater than 50% for 2 people.

Please help.

Thank you.

Let me ask you: is the probability that you win a lottery 1/2?
1. You win the lottery
2. You won't win the lottery

Or: what is the probability to meet a dinosaur on the street? Is it 1/2? Either you meet it or not?

22. Probability

For more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2018, 22:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

How many randomly assembled people are needed to have a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap