GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to fix low-GPA ?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
How to fix low-GPA ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:05
Greetings,
I'm From Egypt, I have been trying to apply for MBA but I can't get through because of my GPA, back in college I was not really much in theoretical studies mainly because my college was mediocre and never thought about applying for masters in the future back then.

i have the following
- 2 years of  full-time work experience in managerial positions in small startups internationally
-  IELTS 7.5 with minimum band 6.5 in the Writing part 
-  6 months of international volunteering experience with UNDP in 3 countries
-  A second class honors bachelor degree (2:2) (GPA 2.3/4) in Electronics and Communication Engineering (5 years full-time program) 
- GMAT estimated 700+ currently preparing for the exam

I cannot go back and study in the same college, once you are graduated you are done. Would love to know some options I would like to get a scholarship from top 10 colleges in business worldwide.

would love to hear some suggestions.
Director
Director
G
Re: How to fix low-GPA ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:48
youssef27, the article here should give you some ideas on how to overcome a low GPA.

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 09:10
Hi youssef27,

Thank you for your post. You have interesting experiences and volunteer work. To gain admission to top 10 b-schools with scholarships, there are a few hurdles to overcome, (i) your low GPA, (ii) GMAT, and (iii) experiences. Indeed, your GPA is low. While you cannot change the past, you can look at coursework you can take to strengthen your profile (think HBX CORe and the likes); Your GMAT needs to be above that of the school's average (around 730 - 750); While there are people who have gained admissions to top 10 b-schools with low GPA, they have overcome that hurdle with a stellar rest of the profile, meaning they have worked for internationally recognized institutions and have progressed significantly within them.

I do recommend you not only work on improving your profile, but also widen your target b-school reach, especially if a scholarship is important. Happy to continue the conversation (click here to coordinate a call)

Good luck!

youssef27 wrote:
Greetings,
I'm From Egypt, I have been trying to apply for MBA but I can't get through because of my GPA, back in college I was not really much in theoretical studies mainly because my college was mediocre and never thought about applying for masters in the future back then.

i have the following
- 2 years of  full-time work experience in managerial positions in small startups internationally
-  A second class honors bachelor degree (2:2) (GPA 2.3/4) in Electronics and Communication Engineering (5 years full-time program) 

I cannot go back and study in the same college, once you are graduated you are done. Would love to know some options I would like to get a scholarship from top 10 colleges in business worldwide.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 09:54
youssef27 wrote:
Greetings,

i have the following

You can compensate for a low GPA with a good 700+ GMAT score, along with your international experience in work as well as volunteering. All the best :thumbup:
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
How to fix low-GPA ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 04:30
Hello youssef27,

It can be tough but not impossible. Your GPA is something that is written in stone and you cannot change. You have a GPA that is a bit below the average class statistics. An optional essay can be a good place to address this and tell some reasons that affected your performance. You need to showcase the achievements that you have received during the tenure of your career. You need to showcase your leadership qualities which is one of the most important qualities that B schools look into the applicant. You have to represent yourself in a very unique way through your essays. If your looking for a scholarship to pursue an MBA, it is suggested to widening your option for other B schools.

Also, try our unique tool “Chances of B-School” to evaluate your chances of getting into B-Schools.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
GMAT Club Bot
How to fix low-GPA ?   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 04:30

How to fix low-GPA ?

new topic post reply Update application status