GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Apr 2018, 10:58
Top Contributor
UPDATE 4/5/18: On the updated, shorter GMAT, the number of experimentals has been reduced from 9 to 3 on Quant, and from 11 to 6 on Verbal, beginning 4/16/18. However, the number of experimentals on the IR section (3) has stayed exactly the same. Overall, the percentage of experimental has been reduced from 25.6% to 13.3%, which is a welcome change!

GMAC has shortened the GMAT by 23 minutes as a result of reducing only the number experimental questions from 23 to 12 (6 experimental removed from Quant and 5 from Verbal). By doing so, GMAC has created an easier, fairer test!

Did you know that 12 out the 90 questions on the GMAT (25.6% of the test) are experimental (a.k.a. pretest/research) questions that don't count toward your score?

IR section: 3 experimental questions
Quant: 3 experimental questions
Verbal: 6 experimental questions

Let's say that you get all 12 of those questions right. Doesn't matter.
Let's say that you get all 12 of those questions wrong. Doesn't matter either.

Think about this crazy fact: you could get all 12 of those experimental questions wrong, and all the other questions right, and still earn a perfect score with only 87% correct (78/90 = 87% correct), if you happen to have incredible luck. Conversely, if you have terrible luck, then you could get exactly 12 questions wrong, all of which are counted questions, and this might earn you an GMAT score of about 650, even though you answered the exact same percent of questions correctly!

As you can see, the GMAT is a test of skill and preparation, yes, but it is also a test of luck and perseverance.

Keep trying.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 20 Apr 2017, 08:38.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 26 Apr 2018, 10:58, edited 12 times in total.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 14:37
Good info, thanks! Although the title is a bit misleading.

Winners dont make excuses.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 01:26
Hi Brian,

I just wonder where you got that information?
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 07:33
Top Contributor
Hi livelyangel, we were able to conclude the exact number of "pretest" / experimental questions on each section by using the ESR (Enhanced Score Report) "percent correct by quartile" information, derived from analyzing the reports of hundreds of GMAT club members, to determine the correct denominator (actual number of counted questions) for each quarter of the test.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/couple-quest ... l#p1767360

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 23:35
Don't want to sound rude but in my opinion this information isn't too useful to a test-taker. There's no way to identify which is an experimental question and which isn't. Hence as test-takers, we need to approach all questions with the same type of focus.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Apr 2018, 13:04
Top Contributor
nishantd88 wrote:
Don't want to sound rude but in my opinion this information isn't too useful to a test-taker. There's no way to identify which is an experimental question and which isn't. Hence as test-takers, we need to approach all questions with the same type of focus.

It's OK--I don't take it personally. Obviously, the title is meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek: I agree that there is little *strategic* benefit to knowing this information when you are taking the GMAT: you have to assume that every question counts, and try to get every question right. Yet I would argue that it should somewhat affect your pacing / guessing strategy / overall aggressiveness level to know that there is a >13% chance that any question you are stuck on doesn't count--it helps you realize that no one question should make or break your score, unless you allow this to happen by spending too much time (>2 or 3 min), or way too much time (>4 min), on a single question.

From a psychological perspective, though, knowing the high number of pretest / experimental questions helps you better understand why GMAT scores can vary so much on test day. This data also helps explain why it makes sense to be persistent, and to give yourself time for a couple of extra attempts if you have a lofty score goal.

In other words, if official GMAT scores were a poll, then the "margin of error" would be higher than normal because of all the experimental questions. If I contact 90 people to ask for their opinions, but only record the opinions of 67 of them (the real GMAT), then of course the results of the poll will be less accurate than had I counted all 90 opinions (GMATPrep).

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 07 May 2017, 09:19.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 11 Apr 2018, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 15:26
Top Contributor
Update, 1/16/18: Recent ESR information that has come to light has suggested that the GMAC is not being fully transparent about the experimental questions, and that while they are technically "unscored," they might still affect the overall difficulty of the test and the section scoring algorithm. You will see in the example linked above, for example, that some students who answer 100% of Verbal questions correctly still only earn a V50 score instead of a perfect score of V51. If so, then what other explanation can there be, than the fact that the experimentals do matter?

This news helps explain why, with the hundreds of thousands of GMATs taken each year, why no one has managed to luck his/her way into a perfect 800 score. And in a weird way, it seems fair. When taking the GMAT, we have to assume that all the questions count, and still try our best on them, so shouldn't they at least count in some minor way?

My only real concern is that the GMAC has not been fully honest about these "pretest" questions and their role in the test: for decades, they have assured test-takers that the experimental questions are "unscored." However, that's not exactly surprising news.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800 &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jan 2018, 15:26

How to get 12 questions wrong on the GMAT and still earn a Perfect 800

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap