It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to improve accuracy on 700 level RC passages?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 29

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
How to improve accuracy on 700 level RC passages? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 00:28
Hello,

Can someone please help me improve my RC score?

Currently my accuracy in Easy, Medium and Hard questions is 100%, 80% and 40%-50%, respectively.

Though I focus on the main point of each paragraph and take down short notes, I tend to forget some important details and end up missing questions that revolve around specific details or wordings mentioned in the passage.

In order to get such questions correct I have to re-read the paragraphs and waste a lot of time.

I am fairly good at reading and understanding the text and message conveyed by the author.

Kindly advice what other approaches can I try to improve my score on hard level RCs questions.

Thank you

Dkingdom

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 1570 [0], given: 8

Re: How to improve accuracy on 700 level RC passages? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 06:52
Top Contributor
Improving RC skills in a short period of time is not easy.

It takes practice - and also a sense of what parts of a passage you should pay extra attention to and which ones you can quickly glance through.

Focus on transition words. Since many passages are very boring, try to do mental exercises to force yourself to get excited -- because when you are super excited -- your brain will be better able to be alert and comprehend what the heck is going on.

Take a look at:
http://www.gmatpill.com/readingcomprehension/intro.mp4

You can learn more about us at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Kudos [?]: 1570 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests
How to improve accuracy on 700 level RC passages? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 07:44
GMATPill wrote:
Improving RC skills in a short period of time is not easy.

It takes practice - and also a sense of what parts of a passage you should pay extra attention to and which ones you can quickly glance through.

Focus on transition words. Since many passages are very boring, try to do mental exercises to force yourself to get excited -- because when you are super excited -- your brain will be better able to be alert and comprehend what the heck is going on.

Take a look at:
http://www.gmatpill.com/readingcomprehension/intro.mp4

You can learn more about us at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Hi GMATPill ,
Thank you for the suggestion. The article is really good.

Regards
Dkingdom

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 07:22
Hi,

In my opinion, it is always better to go back to the passage when you answer the questions. When you read first time, just focus on the following.
1. Primary purpose
2. Broad level understanding of the passage, including the structure
3. Difference between the opinion/tone of the writer from that of other people mentioned in the passage.
4. Location of the important events/personalities and structural changes in the passage

To answer inference and direct questions on Passage, always go back to relevant portion in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 08:21
gannuswami wrote:
Hi,

In my opinion, it is always better to go back to the passage when you answer the questions. When you read first time, just focus on the following.
1. Primary purpose
2. Broad level understanding of the passage, including the structure
3. Difference between the opinion/tone of the writer from that of other people mentioned in the passage.
4. Location of the important events/personalities and structural changes in the passage

To answer inference and direct questions on Passage, always go back to relevant portion in the passage.

Hi gannuswami ,

You are absolutely right. Instead of trying to get an in depth understanding of every part of the passage, now I skim through the passage, keep an eye on the changes in direction and jot down some key points from each paragraph.
For the direct questions I go back to the passage and read that specific part. By doing this my accuracy has increased.

Re: How to improve accuracy on 700 level RC passages?   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 08:21