GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:47) correct 40% (01:00) wrong based on 1514 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

(A) However much United States voters may agree that

(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact

(C) Although United States voters agree

(D) Even though United States voters may agree

(E) There is agreement among United States voters that

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 44: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 10
Page: 654

Originally posted by x2suresh on 14 Nov 2007, 12:42.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Oct 2018, 03:46, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2012, 18:12
Good question :)

We use 'however' as a conjunctive adverb showing contrast that we forget that it has another function: to express
extent. Let's have a look:

1. However much he prepped, he couldn't get a perfect score.

2. We must address all the concerns, however trivial some may be.

3. However, may concerns are of paramount importance and must be dealt with immediately.

The first two sentences use 'however' to express extent. When 'however' is used in this way it does not require a comma immediately following it. If 'however' is used to show contrast, as in sentence 3, then it needs a comma immediately following it.

Hope that clears up any confusion :)

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:49
This one is an absolute classic, and possibly the question that has given my students the most trouble over the years, partly because it shows up right at the beginning of the verbal guide, and it might be a GMAT test-taker’s first exposure to this particular set of issues.

We also covered this particular question during our YouTube live chat, so if you prefer to get your SC via video, click here. And some of the issues with “that” are also discussed in our recent Topic of the Week on “that.”

But ideally, the first thing you should notice here is the parallelism marker “and”. Yeah, “and” isn’t underlined – but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t important. Notice that the phrase “that the government as a whole spends beyond its means…” follows the “and” – so we’ll need to find something that’s parallel to that phrase.

Basically, we’ll need another phrase starting with “that.”

Quote:

Ugh, “however much voters may agree” – I think that sounds crappy and awkward. But guess what? Nobody cares what I think, and what "sounds right" and what is right aren't necessarily the same on the GMAT. So you always want to ask yourself: is this wrong, or just crappy?

It’s just crappy-sounding, and that’s not a crime. The parallelism is correct here, since “that” follows “however much voters may agree.” So voters may agree on two things: 1) that there is waste in government, and 2) that the government… spends beyond its means. The parallelism is wonderfully clear here.

And I sometimes hear people worry that "much" is wrong, because "much" can only modify non-countable nouns, and "United States voters" are countable. But in this case, "however much" isn't modifying the number of voters -- it's modifying the verb phrase "voters may agree", so you don't have to worry about the countable vs. non-countable business here.

So we can keep (A).

Quote:

Nothing is parallel to “that the government as a whole spends beyond its means.” Eliminate (B).

Quote:

Same parallelism error as in (B). Plus, I’m not sure that the meaning really works here… but we’ll talk about that more when we get to (E). (C) is gone.

Quote:

This one sounds great… but we don’t care about “sound.” The parallelism is wrong, just as in (B) and (C). Eliminate (D).

Quote:

Parallelism is perfectly fine here, just as in (A).

But the big problem with (E) is a little bit tougher to spot: it’s a comma splice, featuring two independent clauses (“There is agreement…” and “it is difficult to find broad support…”), connected by just a comma. So (E) is gone.

We could also argue that (E) doesn’t really make much sense in terms of meaning: (E) says that there is definitely agreement, but it’s still difficult to find broad support for a minimal state. That’s potentially contradictory, in some sense. (A) arguably makes a little bit more sense, since it’s indicating some uncertainty with “however much”: regardless of the exact amount of the agreement, it’s difficult to find broad support for a minimal state. That seems more reasonable to me than (E).

But whatever. Parallelism errors in (B), (C), and (D), and a comma splice in (E). (A) wins, even without giving any thought to meaning.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 10:36
yes, I got A as my answer. It makes perfect sense. You need "that" to connect the 2 clauses. So that eliminates all the answer choices except for A and E. The second half of the sentence starts with "it" right after a comma with no conjunction to connect the 2 clauses. You will need subordinate conjunction in the first sentence, turning the first sentence into a dependant clause. There is a rule of thumb:

1) dependant clause + , + independant clause ---> notice a comma between the clauses
2) independant clause + dependant clause ----> notice that there's no comma between the 2 clauses.

Here are some examples:

1) I like her ----> Indendent clause because the thought in this sentence is complete
2) because she is nice -----> dependent clause because not only is it not complete, but it also makes you want to anticipate what's next.

so:

a) I like her because she is nice. ----> independent clause + dependent clause
b) Because she is nice, I like her -----> dependent clause + , + independent clause

in option A, the "howevermuch" turns that first sentence into a dependent clause.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2010, 22:47
Ayrish wrote:
334. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

can you explane why ... is right?

My ans is A
//ism--> require that at the ending of the answer choices. Eliminate B,C,D
In E, it is the run on sentence (2 sentences without conjunction)--> A remains

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2010, 08:36
There is an aspect of altered intent to this question, which seems to have been overlooked so far. The passage states that ‘However much United States voters “may agree”. This “may agree” part is an important intent of the text. Changing the ‘may agree’ to “agreement” in B and E and simply to “agree” in choice C indulges in substantial alteration of intent.

This leaves us with choices A and D; D is however woefully inadequate in llism, by dropping the connector “that” in the first part.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2011, 00:34
"That" is required to connect the two clauses. E has no contrasting word like Although, even though or however much.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2011, 15:21
I picked A...parallelism at its best....."that there is....and that the government...." Option E is wrong because in the Gmat starting a sentence with "there is" is incorrect.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2011, 19:38
I think this issue will be one in which carrying through the original intent is vital primarily, followed by grammar eventually.

The original means speculatively that the voters may agree for something in so much measure. However, the choices except A and D do not carry through the same intent. B says agreement without the speculative may, C says simply agree, and E simply agreement. So all the three choices are out.

Between A and D, Of course the issue of that //ism helps to choose A

A small word may is playing havoc

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2011, 10:29
@arzad, you are correct that choice E is incorrect. But the reason you have presented is not correct. "There is" is absolutely correct. There is no reason why "there is" is incorrect (see I started the sentence with "there is"). Yes in some cases, it may make the sentence more wordy. But in this sentence "there is" does not make the sentence wordy.

You may see detailed solution of this question here.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

e-GMAT Representative
G
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2011, 13:23
Hi all,

Since there was so much discussion on this question, one of my team members did a little video response on this. Check this out. Let us know if this helps.
The key takeaways that we had from this question were:

1. Read the non-underlined portion of the sentence
    2. Pay attention to Verbs like "may", "can", "will"
    3. All entities in the list must be parallel to each other

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jun 2017, 17:15
However much United States voters may agree that there is a waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towards a minimal state

a) However much United States voters may agree that
b) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
c) Although United States voters agree
d) Even though United Staes voters may agree
e) There is agreement among United States voters that

The answer to this A. I agree.
Am just a little confused - I read in MGMAT that HOWEVER is a conjugative adverb, that should be used with semi colons and not commas, since terms like these are transitional and not actually conjunctions.. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by devinawilliam83 on 18 Jan 2012, 04:52.
Last edited by broall on 29 Jun 2017, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2012, 04:11
Thanks for the response Chris.. if I am using However as a sub-ordinator as follows
he likes to go to the market,however he will not go this week

if i havnt misunderstood, the portions on both sides of the comma are clauses and hence comma should not be used.we should rephrase as

he likes to go to the market;however he will not go this week

Is my understanding correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2012, 10:18
@devinawilliams83

It actually gets a little tricky if you use 'however' as a subordinate conjunction. If you join to independent clauses - as you did - then you must use the semi-colon with however. You must also put a comma in front of however, the way you would when however is used as a subordinate conjunction the beginning of the sentence.

He likes to go to market; however, he will not go this week.

Another important thing: however, when used as a Sub. Conj. can also go near the beginning of the sentence.

The man with the dog, however, could not dine at the restaurant.

Notice that 'the man with the dog' is not a dependent clause. Therefore ', however,' is correct and you do not need to use a semi-colon. Besides the placement of 'however,' this sentence is no different from:

However, the man with the dog could not dine at the restaurant.

Where a writer put the 'however' depends on the rhythm of the sentence. However, it is important to note that some grammar sticklers (influenced by Strunk and Whites Elements of Style), believe it is incorrect to start a sentence with 'however', when however is used as a subordinate conjunction.

The GMAT, however, does not subscribe to this "orthodoxy." I just thought I'd point this out because a google search on 'however' can yield conflicting info.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2013, 07:02
"Much" is not counting the United States voters. "Much" is referring to how much the voters want something. The meaning of "much" in this problem is the same as in the sentence "No matter how much Bob wants ice cream, he will not get any." That means that no matter how great Bob's desire for ice cream is, he will not get any.

"Many" would be correct if the sentence was something like "Many United States voters that there is waste in government, that the government as a
whole spends beyond its means, and that it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state." In this case the voters are counted. The sentence is trying to say that a lot of voters agree with something.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2013, 10:51
jadixit wrote:
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

A However much United States voters may agree that
B Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C Although United States voters agree
D Even though United States voters may agree
E There is agreement among United States voters that

Dear jadixit,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Choice (A) is correct, and uses the correct original meaning of the word "however." True grammatical conservatives, such as me, argue that this is the only proper use of the word, and that using "however" as a synonym for "although" or "nevertheless" is not acceptable. In this respect, I am more conservative than the GMAT, because the GMAT frequently allows this latter use. It's important to understand, though --- the latter use is secondary.

The original use is the indefinite form of the adverb "how". Think of the pronouns & adverbs ---who, what, where, when, etc.
who = a particular person
whoever = an indefinite person
what = a particular object
whatever = an indefinite object
when = a particular time
whenever = an indefinite time
where = a particular place
wherever = an indefinite place
Much in the same way, the adverb "how" in "how much" indicates a particular degree, and "however" in "however much" indicates an indefinite degree. In this form, as a relative adjective, the words "however much" also open a dependent clause. The grammar of choice (A) is 100% correct.

Incidentally, the phrase "however that may be" is, in fact, a synonym for "nevertheless", but because people are lazy, that phrase was abbreviated to simply "however", and people use "however" so commonly as a synonym for "nevertheless" that the mistake has become acceptable even in contexts with lofty standards, such as the GMAT SC.

Choice (B) & (C) & (D) omit the first "that", so they interrupt the parallelism between the two "that" clauses.

Choice (E) results in a run-on sentence with a comma splice. See:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences

The only possible answer is (A).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 00:52
Can someone justify the usage of 'much' here. I think much refers to voters which is a countable noun and hence much is not the right word !
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:30
hello2gmat wrote:
Can someone justify the usage of 'much' here. I think much refers to voters which is a countable noun and hence much is not the right word !

Dear hello2gmat
I'm happy to respond. The word "much" is an adverb that modifies the verb "agree".
P and Q do not agree much.
R agrees with me much more than does T.
How much does he agree?
However much the voters agree?

We are not talking about the number of voters, but about the amount of agreement.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.73
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 11:40
Is "However" a valid conjunction to join to independent clauses, or to create a subordinate clause??

Shouldn't the two clauses be separated by a semicolon?

Regards,

Nicolas
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 00:25
ngbpy wrote:
Is "However" a valid conjunction to join to independent clauses, or to create a subordinate clause??

Shouldn't the two clauses be separated by a semicolon?

Regards,

Nicolas

The use of "however" you are referring to (conjunctive adverb) is not the same as the usage of "however" here.

1. needs semicolon (introduces independent clause): I played well; however I lost.

2. does not need semicolon (no independent clause introduced) : I cannot win however well I play.

You may consider the second as a part of the list "whatever", "whenever", "however" etc. They are NOT conjunctive adverbs and does not introduce an independent clause.

"However much United States voters may agree" is not an independent clause and is of type 2 stated above.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jul 2016, 00:25

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap