It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 13:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing for the GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1341

Kudos [?]: 1181 [1], given: 555

Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member
Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 12:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (00:43) correct 60% (00:39) wrong based on 149 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!

(A) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(B) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.
(C) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(D) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.
(E) Hurriedly get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.

Source: GMAT For Dummies
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1181 [1], given: 555

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3004

Kudos [?]: 1067 [0], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 03:16
Although I marked C as the answer, I donot think this question is more of GMAT type.

Still, I have provided my reasoning:

(A) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017! : Run on Sentence.
(B) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Run on Sentence.
(C) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(D) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Awkward
(E) Hurriedly get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Run on Sentence.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Kudos [?]: 1067 [0], given: 74

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 381

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 201

Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 08:44
abhimahna wrote:
Although I marked C as the answer, I donot think this question is more of GMAT type.

Still, I have provided my reasoning:

(A) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017! : Run on Sentence.
(B) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Run on Sentence.
(C) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(D) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Awkward
(E) Hurriedly get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017. : Run on Sentence.


Why do you think D is awkward? is it because hurry , get your special[/color] eclipseviewing glasses are connected with and?
I feel both C and D are right amongst the options presented .

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 201

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3004

Kudos [?]: 1067 [0], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 08:55
goforgmat wrote:
Why do you think D is awkward? is it because hurry , get your special[/color] eclipseviewing glasses are connected with and?
I feel both C and D are right amongst the options presented .


I think C is preferred over D because C is giving a purpose to hurry up. It is saying "Hurry to get something" while D is saying "Hurry and get something". D is slightly changing the meaning.

As I suggested this question is not a typical GMAT like question. If given a chance to select out of these, I would go for the one that gives purpose of getting hurried up.

I hope that makes sense.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?


How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Kudos [?]: 1067 [0], given: 74

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 434

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 488

Premium Member
Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 05:32
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!

(A) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(B) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.
(C) Hurry to get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017!
(D) Hurry and get your special eclipseviewing glasses, because the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.
(E) Hurriedly get your special eclipseviewing glasses, the United States is due for a total solar eclipse in 2017.

Source: GMAT For Dummies


Dear SA,
Can we please have the official OA and OE for this question.
_________________

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 488

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3242

Kudos [?]: 1178 [1], given: 327

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
stne wrote:
Dear SA, Can we please have the official OA and OE for this question.


OA already posted : (C), here is the OE -

The problem with this sentence is that it’s a comma splice. The clauses on both sides of the comma are independent, so you can’t join them with just a comma. To correct the problem, either change the punctuation or make one clause subordinate to (or dependent on) the other. The sentence also contains an idiomatically incorrect construction, hurry and get. Find an answer choice that corrects both errors without creating any new problems. Because the sentence contains an error, you can immediately eliminate A. Choices B and E both fail to correct the run-on sentence problem. They still join two independent clauses with a comma. Get rid of them. Choice D corrects the run-on sentence problem but doesn’t change hurry and get to the more proper hurry to get. Choice C corrects both errors, so it’s the best choice.

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1178 [1], given: 327

Re: Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2017, 08:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hurry and get your special eclipse-viewing glasses, the United States

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.