GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

I scored 700, should I retake ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
I scored 700, should I retake ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 20:06
Hello everyone,

I am reaching out because I need some help with what to do. I have been studying really hard GMAT for 8 months and I took 3 tests :
1- 610 Q45V28 IR2 (canceled the score)
2- 660 Q47V34 IR5 (canceled the score)
3- 700 Q50V34 IR7

I hit the 700 but I feel really unsatisfied. I know I could have done better on verbal (not quant though, I was really surprised with Q50). On my previous GMAT prep practice tests my verbal scores were consistently around V40.

I had a rough night before my last GMAT which can partially explain the V34, I was not fully awake for the verbal section. I also performed the lowest on RC (where I am usually the best).

I am planning to apply the MiM in HEC Paris (not MBA!!), do you think retaking would be useful and get me a step closer to HEC or is the investment not worth it?

Thank you !!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Re: I scored 700, should I retake ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 06:34
I'm not really seeing what the downside is here, maybe you didn't explain it well.

Is the only opportunity cost here the $250 test fee and an extra 50-100 hours of study time? If so that's cheap. If you have to sacrifice significant resources however, better to explain them in more detail so people can offer you a better cost benefit analysis.

feel free to reach out ⁓

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:16
olito wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am reaching out because I need some help with what to do. I have been studying really hard GMAT for 8 months and I took 3 tests :
3- 700 Q50V34 IR7

I hit the 700 but I feel really unsatisfied. I know I could have done better on verbal (not quant though, I was really surprised with Q50). On my previous GMAT prep practice tests my verbal scores were consistently around V40.

I had a rough night before my last GMAT which can partially explain the V34, I was not fully awake for the verbal section. I also performed the lowest on RC (where I am usually the best).

I am planning to apply the MiM in HEC Paris (not MBA!!), do you think retaking would be useful and get me a step closer to HEC or is the investment not worth it?

Thank you !!

This link may help you : https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 12:49
Hi olito

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn more about your GMAT experience and score goals. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you studied. How many hours a day? What resources did you use?

3) What is the deadline for HEC?

4) If you retake the GMAT, by when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) Have you ever had accommodations on any test? For example, extra time, a private room, or extra breaks? Do you have any medical diagnoses that could impact your studying or GMAT performance, such as ADHD, generalized anxiety, depression, or learning disabilities?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 13:42
olito wrote:
Hello everyone,

3- 700 Q50V34 IR7

Thank you !!

If you have the time and money I think retaking the test does not hurt.

However, as you are planning to take a quant heavy master the Q50 is already a very solid baseline for the application.

Good luck,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 17:58
Thank you all for your replies !!

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn more about your GMAT experience and score goals. I have some questions:

1) I took a bunch :
1- GMAT Prep: 460 Q27V26
2- Veritas: 580 Q40V30
3- Veritas: 630 Q45V32
4- Veritas: 630 Q42V35
5- Veritas: 600 Q42V31
6- Gmat Prep: 620 Q45V31
Real GMAT: 610 Q45V28

7-Gmat Prep: 620 Q46V29
8-Gmat Prep: 690 Q44V39
Real GMAT: 660 Q47V34

9- Veritas: 670 Q45V37
10-Gmat prep: 730Q48V42
Real GMAT : 700 Q50V34

2) I was studying between 6 and 12 hours a day (depending on my schedule). I started with a veritas live class while taking the Math Revolution class (because I was really behind quant wise. After my second GMAT, I went with EmpowerGmat. I also studied quant with the Gmatclub tests. Until my second GMAT I have almost only focused on quant, I did not do much verbal, but after my second GMAT, I started doing much more verbal than quant. I have done a lot of exercises and took as many takeaways as possible from the problems I solved.

3) My deadline is around October

4) Ideally, I would like to have it behind me as soon as possible. I guess that I can take until the end of August. Then class will start again and it might get a little difficult.

5) Around 8 hours a day

6) Nothing!

7) I guess I was prepared pretty well on my last GMAT. I was much more confident than all the previous ones.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 17:32
Hi olito,

First off, a 700/Q50 is an OUTSTANDING score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Since you're thinking in terms of Admissions, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I scored 700, should I retake ? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 17:32

I scored 700, should I retake ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap