GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2016
Posts: 6
Reviews Badge
If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 08:42
1
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (03:05) correct 72% (02:48) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest 80% by B, the work is completed in 20 days. If 80% of the work is done by A and the remaining 20% by B, then the work is completed in 30 days. How many days are required to complete the work , if A and B work together.

A. 11 1/9
B. 10 1/9
C. 12
D. 15

Source: TIME material.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9855
Location: Pune, India
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 09:44
1
1
1
Mohammed22Abrar wrote:
If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest 80% by B, the work is completed in 20 days. If 80% of the work is done by A and the remaining 20% by B, then the work is completed in 30 days. How many days are required to complete the work , if A and B work together.

A. 11 1/9
B. 10 1/9
C. 12
D. 15

Source: TIME material.


Use algebra:

0.2/A + 0.8/B = 20
1/A + 4/B = 100

0.8/A + 0.2/B = 30
4/A+ 1/B = 150

15/B = 250
B = 3/50 work per day
A = 3/100 work per day

Combined rate = 3/40 + 3/100 = 9/100
Time taken when working together = 100/9 = 11(1/9) days

Answer (A)

It is not a GMAT type question. For GMAT, it's best to stick to GMAT material.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 121
Location: France
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 10:40
Hello Karishma

Can you please explain how you get this : "0.2/A + 0.8/B = 20" ?

Thanks,

Alex
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9855
Location: Pune, India
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 21:41
3
1
Alex75PAris wrote:
Hello Karishma

Can you please explain how you get this : "0.2/A + 0.8/B = 20" ?

Thanks,

Alex


Using the formula: Work = Rate * Time
Time = Work/Rate

Assume A's rate of work is A.
Assume B's rate of work is B.

A does 20% of the work. So if work is 1, A did .2 of the work.

Days for which A worked + Days for which B worked = Total Days (since they work successively)

Work of A/Rate of A + Work of B/Rate of B = Total Days

.2/A + .8/B = 20
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 121
Location: France
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 15:53
Thank you ! it's clear now :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8
Location: United States
Schools: Booth '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 16:47
1
Would anyone be willing to explain why my method didn't work, and why I got a wrong answer?

Eq #1: 0.8 = B *20
Eq #3: 0.8 = A* 30

Solve Eq #1: B = 1/25 = 3/75 using 75 as a common denominator
Solve Eq #2: A = 2/75

Combined rate is 5/75. At a rate of 5/75 they will finish in 75/5 = 15 days.

How come this isn't correct?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Location: India
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 11:06
Because A & B are not working simultaneously in given situations. So assuming that B took 20 days to finish 80% of the work is wrong because B would have worked lesser number of days than that and same is true with A. You can assume it like B started the work, left it at some point and immediately A took over.

pourts wrote:
Would anyone be willing to explain why my method didn't work, and why I got a wrong answer?

Eq #1: 0.8 = B *20
Eq #3: 0.8 = A* 30

Solve Eq #1: B = 1/25 = 3/75 using 75 as a common denominator
Solve Eq #2: A = 2/75

Combined rate is 5/75. At a rate of 5/75 they will finish in 75/5 = 15 days.

How come this isn't correct?
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 24 Nov 2016
Posts: 927
Location: United States
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 08:08
Mohammed22Abrar wrote:
If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest 80% by B, the work is completed in 20 days. If 80% of the work is done by A and the remaining 20% by B, then the work is completed in 30 days. How many days are required to complete the work , if A and B work together.

A. 11 1/9
B. 10 1/9
C. 12
D. 15


rate•time=work

1/5/a+4/5/b=20…1/5a+4/5b=20…b+4a/25ab=20
4/5/a+1/5/b=30…4/5a+1/5b=30…4b+a/25ab=30
4b+a/30=b+4a/20…80b+20a=30b+120a…b=2a
1/5a+4/5b=20…1/5a+4/5(2a)=20…a=3/100
t=1/a+b…t=1/a+2a…t=1/3a…t=1/3(3/100)
t=11+1/9

Ans (A)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 14
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 11:59
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Mohammed22Abrar wrote:
If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest 80% by B, the work is completed in 20 days. If 80% of the work is done by A and the remaining 20% by B, then the work is completed in 30 days. How many days are required to complete the work , if A and B work together.


Hi Karishma,
I think in the last step, it should be 3/50 + 3/100 instead of 3/40+3/100. Please check.
A. 11 1/9
B. 10 1/9
C. 12
D. 15

Source: TIME material.


Use algebra:

0.2/A + 0.8/B = 20
1/A + 4/B = 100

0.8/A + 0.2/B = 30
4/A+ 1/B = 150

15/B = 250
B = 3/50 work per day
A = 3/100 work per day

Combined rate = 3/40 + 3/100 = 9/100
Time taken when working together = 100/9 = 11(1/9) days

Answer (A)

It is not a GMAT type question. For GMAT, it's best to stick to GMAT material.


Hi Karishma,
I think it should be 3/50+3/100 instead of 3/40+3/100. Please check.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 615
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 22:09
Could you tell me where I am wrong.

I wrote equations like this.

1/5a + 4/5b = 1/20
4/5a + 1/5b = 1/30

I add up both equations and got
1/a + 1/b = 50/600

Here I got A and B did the job in 12 days.

How I did it wrong!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 22:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If 20% of certain quantity of work is done by A and the rest by B,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne