GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55271
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 01:46
2
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:55) correct 25% (01:50) wrong based on 551 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9239
Location: Pune, India
Re: If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 21:01
5
Bunuel wrote:
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?

A. –17
B. −21/2
C. −13/3
D. 2
E. 15


Just plug in the options.
Options (A), (D) and (E) are quite easy to see. They don't give equal values on LHS and RHS.

With (B), (C), plug in values close to these instead of these fractions.

(B) -21/2
Try x = -10.
You get 50 = 10
The difference between LHS and RHS is quite large so x will not be -21/2. As we go toward the point where LHS = RHS, the difference between them will keep decreasing. Hence a point very close to the actual value of x will have little difference between LHS and RHS.

(C) -13/3
Try x = -4
You get 20 = 22
These are quite close so this will be the answer. You can plug it in to confirm.

Answer (C)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 20:31
2
2
4x - 4 = 2x + 30 or 4x - 4 = -2x - 30
2x = 34 or 6x = -26
x = 17 or x = -13/3

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2016
Posts: 8
Schools: AGSM '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 12:22
|4x−4|=|2x+30|; 2*|2x-2|=2*|x+15|; |2x-2|=|x+15|

For me the fastest way is to just open the brackets; we have 2 ways to do it

1) 2x-2=x+15 => x=17 => NO
2) 2-2x=x+15=> x=-13/3 => Answer C

for me opening brackets 2 times and solving for such easy numbers is faster than plugging in any of given answers

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2018
Posts: 41
CAT Tests
Re: If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 16:04
Are there four different solutions to this?

a = b
-a = b
a = -b
-a = -b
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 09 Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Location: Brazil
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.45
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 19:03
2
edlc313 wrote:
Are there four different solutions to this?

a = b
-a = b
a = -b
-a = -b


Yes and no. Theoretically that is right, but if you look closely there are actually 2 pairs of solutions each one with 2 expressions that are equivalent:

\(a = b\) is equivalent to \(-a = -b\); and
\(-a = b\) is equivalent to \(a = -b\)
(think that if you multiply one by -1 you get the other)

Hence, there is no need to evaluate four different solutions! All you need to do is to find 2 of them!

\(|4x−4|=|2x+30|\)

(1) a=b

\((4x−4)=(2x+30)\)
\(2x = 34\)
\(x = 17\)

or (2) -a=b

\(-(4x−4)=(2x+30)\)
\(-6x = 26\)
\(x = -13/3\)

Answer: C
_________________
Hope some of my posts may help you. If that was the case, please hit +1 KUDOS. Thank you!

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"
Vince Lombardi
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 08:04
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?

A. –17
B. −21/2
C. −13/3
D. 2
E. 15


Just plug in the options.
Options (A), (D) and (E) are quite easy to see. They don't give equal values on LHS and RHS.

With (B), (C), plug in values close to these instead of these fractions.

(B) -21/2
Try x = -10.
You get 50 = 10
The difference between LHS and RHS is quite large so x will not be -21/2. As we go toward the point where LHS = RHS, the difference between them will keep decreasing. Hence a point very close to the actual value of x will have little difference between LHS and RHS.

(C) -13/3
Try x = -4
You get 20 = 22
These are quite close so this will be the answer. You can plug it in to confirm.

Answer (C)


Hello Ma'am,

Can you explain how to represent these sort of numericals graphically on the number line?

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9239
Location: Pune, India
Re: If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 02:41
1
AMP2021 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?

A. –17
B. −21/2
C. −13/3
D. 2
E. 15


Just plug in the options.
Options (A), (D) and (E) are quite easy to see. They don't give equal values on LHS and RHS.

With (B), (C), plug in values close to these instead of these fractions.

(B) -21/2
Try x = -10.
You get 50 = 10
The difference between LHS and RHS is quite large so x will not be -21/2. As we go toward the point where LHS = RHS, the difference between them will keep decreasing. Hence a point very close to the actual value of x will have little difference between LHS and RHS.

(C) -13/3
Try x = -4
You get 20 = 22
These are quite close so this will be the answer. You can plug it in to confirm.

Answer (C)


Hello Ma'am,

Can you explain how to represent these sort of numericals graphically on the number line?

Posted from my mobile device


If you mean how to solve this using the number line concept,

|4x−4|=|2x+30|
4*|x−1|=2|x+15|
2*|x - 1| = |x + 15|

Twice the distance from 1 is equal to distance from -15. So the distance of 16 is divided into 3 equal parts such that x is 1 part away from 1.

x = 1 - 16/3 = -13/3

If you understand above, the solution will take just a few seconds else it might be easier to plug in values here or square both sides.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?   [#permalink] 08 May 2019, 02:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If |4x−4|=|2x+30|, which of the following could be a value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.