Last visit was: 17 Jul 2024, 13:22 It is currently 17 Jul 2024, 13:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 776
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [14]
Given Kudos: 123
Location: India
Send PM
Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 728
Own Kudos [?]: 786 [3]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 728
Own Kudos [?]: 786 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
soloyolodolo wrote:
u1983 wrote:
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.


GMAT will not give false information between the two facts so if

1.) A+B = 4, then

2.) A+B = 4 as well. and in your explanation A+B = 4.465.


Wouldn't the correct solution be D?

2.) A = 2, B = 2?



Hello soloyolodolo .... my sincere apologies. I really could not follow your point. It would be great if you can elaborate a little more.
Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
u1983 wrote:
soloyolodolo wrote:
u1983 wrote:
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.


GMAT will not give false information between the two facts so if

1.) A+B = 4, then

2.) A+B = 4 as well. and in your explanation A+B = 4.465.


Wouldn't the correct solution be D?

2.) A = 2, B = 2?



Hello soloyolodolo .... my sincere apologies. I really could not follow your point. It would be great if you can elaborate a little more.
Thanks in advance.


Gmat will never contradict.

In your explanation.

1.) A+B = 4

2.) A+B = 4.465

Does that make sense?

I agree with your explanation of the answer, however based on GMAT rules. I think answer would be D?

Maybe someone else can help. I know there are numerous people in the forums who are much more intelligent and math wizards.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 776
Own Kudos [?]: 458 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Location: India
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
soloyolodolo wrote:

I agree with your explanation of the answer, however based on GMAT rules. I think answer would be D?

Maybe someone else can help. I know there are numerous people in the forums who are much more intelligent and math wizards.



Till the time someone else pitches in, inline is the Official Explanation

Statement (1) gives you that \((3^a)(3^b)=81\)
Remember that to find the product of two exponential expressions with a common base, you simply add their exponents.
That means that \((3^a)(3^b)=81\) becomes 3^(a+b)=81

The right side of the equation can then be rewritten as \(3^4\) giving you the equation 3^(a+b) = \(3^4\)
so a+b=4

You can therefore conclude that statement (1) is sufficient when taken on its own.

Statement (2) gives that \((3^a)(5^b)=225\)
If you factor 225, it becomes \((3^2)(5^2)=(3^a)(5^b)\), At this point, it is tempting to say that a+b=4
But remember -- you haven’t been told even whether a and b are integers.
It is possible to say that a=4 and that b is equal to an irrational number (log5 \(\frac{225}{81}\), if you do the math).

Because the equation could yield multiple values of a and b

You must conclude that statement (2) is insufficient and choose answer choice (A).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 334
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
soloyolodolo I agree with you that the two statements would not contradict each other on GMAT's official questions. I also went with D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 334
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
Bunuel Please I need help with this question. I got D but OA is A. Thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94383
Own Kudos [?]: 641753 [0]
Given Kudos: 85693
Send PM
Re: If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ?

Notice that we are not told that a and b are integers.


(1) \((3^a) (3^b)=81\);

\(3^{a+b}=3^4\);

\(a + b = 4\).

Sufficient.


(2) \((3^a) (5^b)=225\).

Now, if were told that a and b are positive integers, then yes, from \((3^a) (5^b)=3^2*5^2\), it would follow that a = 2 and b = 2. But we are not given that, thus it's possible that a is say 1 and b is some irrational number (satisfying 5^b = 225 --> b = ~3.3652...). Not sufficient.


Answer: A.


Similar questions to practice:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-3-a-4-b-c- ... 06047.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-2y-3-200 ... 92486.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-3y-4-5- ... 76981.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
If we consider any value of a and b other than a=2 and b=2 then 3^a*5^b will never become perfect 225 and only via approximation we need to conclude the value as 225 (a or b will be irrational number). So whether GMAT may test on such definite vs approximate results in real test? Bunuel chetan2u
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94383
Own Kudos [?]: 641753 [0]
Given Kudos: 85693
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RupamPaul13 wrote:
If we consider any value of a and b other than a=2 and b=2 then 3^a*5^b will never become perfect 225 and only via approximation we need to conclude the value as 225 (a or b will be irrational number). So whether GMAT may test on such definite vs approximate results in real test? Bunuel chetan2u


You are wrong.

5^b = 225 has a solution for b, b = log(225)/log(5) (which is irrational number). For that value, 5^b is EXACTLY 225.
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33999
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a + b ? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94383 posts