GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 15:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
VP
VP
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 1007
Location: India
If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 20:38
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (00:59) correct 76% (01:12) wrong based on 35 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a and b, are positive, what is the value of a+b ?

(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225

_________________

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

RC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 743
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 21:01
1
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.
_________________

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 22:24
u1983 wrote:
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.


GMAT will not give false information between the two facts so if

1.) A+B = 4, then

2.) A+B = 4 as well. and in your explanation A+B = 4.465.


Wouldn't the correct solution be D?

2.) A = 2, B = 2?
RC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 743
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 01:07
soloyolodolo wrote:
u1983 wrote:
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.


GMAT will not give false information between the two facts so if

1.) A+B = 4, then

2.) A+B = 4 as well. and in your explanation A+B = 4.465.


Wouldn't the correct solution be D?

2.) A = 2, B = 2?



Hello soloyolodolo .... my sincere apologies. I really could not follow your point. It would be great if you can elaborate a little more.
Thanks in advance.
_________________

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Re: If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 01:23
u1983 wrote:
soloyolodolo wrote:
u1983 wrote:
(1) \((3^a) (3^b)\)=81 - Sufficient- as \((3^a) (3^b)\)=\(3^{a+b}\)=\(3^4\) ==>a+b=4
(2) \((3^a) (5^b)\)=225 - Not Sufficient - remember the cond is only positive not positive integer.
One way to think of the proof is :
225= 3.3.5.5 = 5.45
Case 1: \(3^2\) * \(5^2\) ==>a=2 & b=2.Hence a+b=4
Case 2:one component is 5 so b=1
Now 45 could be \(3^a\) ==>a=log45/log3 = 3.465 ( \(3^{3.465}\) almost=45). Hence a+b=4.465

Hence Ans is A.


GMAT will not give false information between the two facts so if

1.) A+B = 4, then

2.) A+B = 4 as well. and in your explanation A+B = 4.465.


Wouldn't the correct solution be D?

2.) A = 2, B = 2?



Hello soloyolodolo .... my sincere apologies. I really could not follow your point. It would be great if you can elaborate a little more.
Thanks in advance.


Gmat will never contradict.

In your explanation.

1.) A+B = 4

2.) A+B = 4.465

Does that make sense?

I agree with your explanation of the answer, however based on GMAT rules. I think answer would be D?

Maybe someone else can help. I know there are numerous people in the forums who are much more intelligent and math wizards.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2018
Posts: 1007
Location: India
Re: If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 06:53
soloyolodolo wrote:

I agree with your explanation of the answer, however based on GMAT rules. I think answer would be D?

Maybe someone else can help. I know there are numerous people in the forums who are much more intelligent and math wizards.



Till the time someone else pitches in, inline is the Official Explanation

Statement (1) gives you that \((3^a)(3^b)=81\)
Remember that to find the product of two exponential expressions with a common base, you simply add their exponents.
That means that \((3^a)(3^b)=81\) becomes 3^(a+b)=81

The right side of the equation can then be rewritten as \(3^4\) giving you the equation 3^(a+b) = \(3^4\)
so a+b=4

You can therefore conclude that statement (1) is sufficient when taken on its own.

Statement (2) gives that \((3^a)(5^b)=225\)
If you factor 225, it becomes \((3^2)(5^2)=(3^a)(5^b)\), At this point, it is tempting to say that a+b=4
But remember -- you haven’t been told even whether a and b are integers.
It is possible to say that a=4 and that b is equal to an irrational number (log5 \(\frac{225}{81}\), if you do the math).

Because the equation could yield multiple values of a and b

You must conclude that statement (2) is insufficient and choose answer choice (A).
_________________

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2019, 06:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a and b are positive, what is the value of a+b

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.