GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 04:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:26) correct 38% (01:07) wrong based on 411 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability that exactly one 3 is rolled?

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Consider Kudos for my post, if it is helpful.
TIA

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 04:39
shyind wrote:
If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability that exactly one 3 is rolled?

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Total ways in which a 6-sided die can be rolled three times = 6*6*6 = 216

To get exactly one 3, there are three ways:
A 3 on the first roll and non 3 on other two rolls. This can be done in 1*5*5 = 25 ways.
The 3 could be on the second or third roll too. So total favorable cases = 25*3 = 75

Required Probability = 75/216 = 25/72

Answer (C)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

S
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Re: If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 16:32
Here is the full answer, from the ground up. To understand the mathematics behind this question we need to understand three basic probability rules:

(1) A probability is calculated by dividing the number of options when the event occurs by the total number of possibilities.

(2) When calculating the probability of multiple events that must ALL occur to meet a certain condition, we must multiply the separate probabilities of each event together. Thus, the probability of all the events \(A\), \(B\), and \(C\) occurring would be: \(P_{combined} = (P_A)*(P_B)*(P_C)\)

(3) When calculating the probability of a series of mutually-exclusive events, where ANY event occurring would be sufficient, we must add the separate probabilities of each event together. Thus, the probability of any of the events \(A\), \(B\), and \(C\) occurring would be: \(P_{combined} = (P_A)+(P_B)+(P_C)\)

Let's leverage these three basic rules to solve this problem.

First, the probability of rolling a single value (in this case 3) on a fair 6-sided die would be one out of six (or \(\frac{1}{6}\)).

The probability of NOT rolling that number would be five out of six (or \(\frac{5}{6}\)).

So, if you need to roll a single value on one die, while simultaneously not rolling that value on the other two dice, then we invoke rule #2 from above (i.e., we multiply the probabilities.) Thus,

\(P=(\frac{1}{6})*(\frac{5}{6})*(\frac{5}{6})=\frac{25}{216}\)

Notice that this is answer choice A. However, this is a deliberate trap answer. With probabilities, the order always matters. (I like to call this "100% Chance of Order" in my classes.) Thus, if we don't care which of the dice roll the "3", then we need to look at each of the possible orders that could work. There are three possibilities:

\(3, N, N\)
\(N, 3, N\)
\(N, N, 3\)

The probability of each of these orders is the same (\(\frac{25}{216}\)), but each is separate and independent. We now need to invoke rule #3 from above and add the separate probabilities together:

\(P_{Total} = \frac{25}{216} + \frac{25}{216} + \frac{25}{216} = \frac{3*25}{216}\)

Recognizing common factors in the top and bottom of this fraction allow us to get to the answer without any messy math. \(216 = 6*6*6 = 2*3*6*6\). Thus,

\(\frac{3*25}{216}=\frac{3*25}{2*3*6*6}=\frac{25}{2*6*6}=\frac{25}{72}\)

The answer is C.

Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite-Level Instructor

Hit "+1 Kudos" if my post helped you understand the GMAT better.
Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 20:22
shyind wrote:

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Probability if getting 3 on a die is: P(3)=1/6
Probability of not getting 3 on a die is nP(3)=5/6

Let the three dies be denoted by P1,P2 and P3

Probability of getting 3 on the first die and not getting 3 on the other two dies is given by:-
=P1(3)*nP(3)*nP(3)
=1/6*5/6*5/6
=25/216

As there are 3 dies,so similarly for the rest of the two dies probability will be 25/216

Summing up all the 3 cases we get:
=3*25/216
=25/72
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 00:22
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In PS, IVY approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer.

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Let O be represented as 3 being rolled, and X be represented as no 3 being rolled.

Then the case of exactly one 3 being rolled can be represented as (O, X, X), (X, O, X), (X, X, O).
The probability of (O, X, X) is (1/6)*(5/6)*(5/6), that of (X, O, X) is (5/6)*(1/6)*(5/6) and that of (X, X, O) is (5/6)*(5/6)*(1/6).
So the probability is (1/6)*(5/6)*(5/6) + (5/6)*(1/6)*(5/6) + (5/6)*(5/6)*(1/6) = 3*(1/6)*(5/6)*(5/6) = 25/72.

The answer is (C).

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:50
shyind wrote:

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Probability of getting 3 \(= \frac{1}{6}\)

Probability of not getting 3 \(= \frac{5}{6}\)

Probability of getting three on the first roll \(= \frac{1}{6} * \frac{5}{6} * \frac{5}{6}\)

Probability of getting three on the first roll \(= \frac{25}{216}\)

As we can get 3 on either second or the third time we will multiply the above probability by 3

\(= \frac{25}{216} * 3\)

\(= \frac{25}{72}\)

Hence, Answer is C

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 11:46
Hi All,

You can approach the math in this question in a couple of different ways, so you have to think about what would be the easiest way for YOU to organize your work.

The questions tells us to roll a 6-sided dice 3 times. We're asked for the probability of rolling EXACTLY one '3' on those three rolls.

Here's a way to break the calculation down into 3 smaller calculations:

(first roll is 3)(second roll is NOT 3)(third roll is NOT 3) = (1/6)(5/6)(5/6) = 25/216

(first roll is NOT 3)(second roll is 3)(third roll is NOT 3) = (5/6)(1/6)(5/6) = 25/216

(first roll is NOT 3)(second roll is NOT 3)(third roll is 3) = (5/6)(5/6)(1/6) = 25/216

Total = 3(25/216) = 75/216 = 25/72

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 00:38
niel1989 wrote:
shyind wrote:

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

Probability of getting 3 on the first die and not getting 3 on the other two dies is given by:-
=P1(3)*nP(3)*nP(3)
=1/6*5/6*5/6
=25/216

As there are 3 dies,so similarly for the rest of the two dies probability will be 25/216

=3*25/216
=25/72

"A" die is rolled 3 times.. There aren't 3 dies... which is why I can't seem to understand why not 25/216
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 00:44
saumya2805 wrote:
"A" die is rolled 3 times.. There aren't 3 dies... which is why I can't seem to understand why not 25/216

Hey saumya2805 ,

There isn't any difference in rolling the same die thrice or rolling three different does.

Hence, for each die we have the total outcomes = 6.

Therefore, total possibilities= 6*6*6 = 216.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 00:52
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

You can approach the math in this question in a couple of different ways, so you have to think about what would be the easiest way for YOU to organize your work.

The questions tells us to roll a 6-sided dice 3 times. We're asked for the probability of rolling EXACTLY one '3' on those three rolls.

Here's a way to break the calculation down into 3 smaller calculations:

(first roll is 3)(second roll is NOT 3)(third roll is NOT 3) = (1/6)(5/6)(5/6) = 25/216

(first roll is NOT 3)(second roll is 3)(third roll is NOT 3) = (5/6)(1/6)(5/6) = 25/216

(first roll is NOT 3)(second roll is NOT 3)(third roll is 3) = (5/6)(5/6)(1/6) = 25/216

Total = 3(25/216) = 75/216 = 25/72

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

Can you please help me?
I completely understand the logic you've followed...

What I don't understand is why the need..
I mean, the question simply asks the probability of 3 appearing exactly once. It doesn't specify to find for "on which of these throws..."
There's a probability of 3 appearing exactly once, 25 out of 216 times.

If the question had been that 3 dies are rolled simultaneously 3 times... it would've made more sense to me..

Since you're an expert, surely I'm missing something.
Could you please help me understand what I'm missing?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 01:55
AaronPond wrote:
Here is the full answer, from the ground up. To understand the mathematics behind this question we need to understand three basic probability rules:

(1) A probability is calculated by dividing the number of options when the event occurs by the total number of possibilities.

(2) When calculating the probability of multiple events that must ALL occur to meet a certain condition, we must multiply the separate probabilities of each event together. Thus, the probability of all the events \(A\), \(B\), and \(C\) occurring would be: \(P_{combined} = (P_A)*(P_B)*(P_C)\)

(3) When calculating the probability of a series of mutually-exclusive events, where ANY event occurring would be sufficient, we must add the separate probabilities of each event together. Thus, the probability of any of the events \(A\), \(B\), and \(C\) occurring would be: \(P_{combined} = (P_A)+(P_B)+(P_C)\)

Let's leverage these three basic rules to solve this problem.

First, the probability of rolling a single value (in this case 3) on a fair 6-sided die would be one out of six (or \(\frac{1}{6}\)).

The probability of NOT rolling that number would be five out of six (or \(\frac{5}{6}\)).

So, if you need to roll a single value on one die, while simultaneously not rolling that value on the other two dice, then we invoke rule #2 from above (i.e., we multiply the probabilities.) Thus,

\(P=(\frac{1}{6})*(\frac{5}{6})*(\frac{5}{6})=\frac{25}{216}\)

Notice that this is answer choice A. However, this is a deliberate trap answer. With probabilities, the order always matters. (I like to call this "100% Chance of Order" in my classes.) Thus, if we don't care which of the dice roll the "3", then we need to look at each of the possible orders that could work. There are three possibilities:

\(3, N, N\)
\(N, 3, N\)
\(N, N, 3\)

The probability of each of these orders is the same (\(\frac{25}{216}\)), but each is separate and independent. We now need to invoke rule #3 from above and add the separate probabilities together:

\(P_{Total} = \frac{25}{216} + \frac{25}{216} + \frac{25}{216} = \frac{3*25}{216}\)

Recognizing common factors in the top and bottom of this fraction allow us to get to the answer without any messy math. \(216 = 6*6*6 = 2*3*6*6\). Thus,

\(\frac{3*25}{216}=\frac{3*25}{2*3*6*6}=\frac{25}{2*6*6}=\frac{25}{72}\)

The answer is C.

You mention the below:
"Notice that this is answer choice A. However, this is a deliberate trap answer. With probabilities, the order always matters. (I like to call this "100% Chance of Order" in my classes.) Thus, if we don't care which of the dice roll the "3", then we need to look at each of the possible orders that could work."

Plz refer the bold colored portion..
Is it understood by default, that the order always matters? Even if it isn't mentioned explicitly in the question?
This is exactly what I'm always confused about in probability related questions.
S
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 14:43
saumya2805 wrote:
You mention the below:
"Notice that this is answer choice A. However, this is a deliberate trap answer. With probabilities, the order always matters. (I like to call this "100% Chance of Order" in my classes.) Thus, if we don't care which of the dice roll the "3", then we need to look at each of the possible orders that could work."

Is it understood by default, that the order always matters? Even if it isn't mentioned explicitly in the question?
This is exactly what I'm always confused about in probability related questions.

Thank you, Saumya2805, for the question. Yes, when calculating the probability of multiple situations, the order always matters. This isn't just the "default", this is how the mathematics of probability work. Even if the events are simultaneous, think about the solution one event at a time. Each different arrangement has a separate probability.

Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite-Level Instructor

Hit "+1 Kudos" if my post helped you understand the GMAT better.
Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 23:24
AaronPond wrote:
saumya2805 wrote:
You mention the below:

Thank you, Saumya2805, for the question. Yes, when calculating the probability of multiple situations, the order always matters. This isn't just the "default", this is how the mathematics of probability work. Even if the events are simultaneous, think about the solution one event at a time. Each different arrangement has a separate probability.

Thanks Aaron, that helps! :-)
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 17:15
saumya2805 wrote:
niel1989 wrote:
shyind wrote:

A. 25/216

B. 50/216

C. 25/72

D. 25/36

E. 5/6

=P1(3)*nP(3)*nP(3)
=1/6*5/6*5/6
=25/216

=3*25/216
=25/72

How do you get 216?
You say the FIRST roll could be 1/2/3/4/5/6 i.e. 6 ways
The SECOND roll could be 1/2/3/4/5/6 i.e. 6 ways
The THIRD roll could be 1/2/3/4/5/6 i.e. 6 ways

Hence rolling a 3 on FIRST roll and any of the other 5 numbers of other two rolls is different from rolling a 3 on SECOND roll and any of the other 5 numbers on other two rolls because we have counted these cases apart {3, 1, 6}, {1, 3, 6}. That is how we get 75 and not just 25.

This is same as saying - I have 3 dice of different colours - Red, Yellow and Blue - and I roll them together
The Red could have outcome in 6 ways, Yellow in 6 and Blue in 6 so 216 ways

Same as case above.

How about saying I have 3 identical dice and I roll them together. How many outcomes do I have in that case?
Is (1, 2, 3) different from (3, 1, 2)? No. Then I do not have 216 outcomes in this case. In this case, there is no "order".

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t &nbs [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 17:15

If a fair 6-sided die is rolled three times, what is the probability t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap