Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [55]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [34]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: If his longevity claim would be confirmed Carmelo Flores Laura [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

If his longevity claim would be confirmed, Carmelo Flores Laura, a former rancher from Bolivia, would have the longest verified lifespan of anyone in human history.

A) If his longevity claim would be confirmed

B) Should his longevity's claim be confirmed

C) Had his longevity claim been confirmed

D) That his claim to longevity was confirmed

E) Were his longevity claim confirmed

I am not sure about this. The original sentence uses would with if, which is outright wrong.
A. Would cannot be used in If clause- Incorrect
B. Longevitys claim is non sensical.
C. For past perfect continuous to be correct, the non underlined portion should have been- Carmelo Flores Laura would have had the longest verified lifespan of anyone in human history. But we do not have that option.
D. Does not make sense at all.
E. By POE E looks correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Kudos
If his longevity claim would be confirmed, Carmelo Flores Laura, a former rancher from Bolivia, would have the longest verified lifespan of anyone in human history.

In the If (clause), Then (clause) construction, if the then (clause) has would have verb, then the verb of the if (clause) must be past perfect tense. However, in this case, the verb is simple future tense. Thus, this choice is incorrect.

This sentence uses the possessive noun longevity's claim which literally translates to the claim belongs to longevity which does not make any sense. This is incorrect.

Correct option, since it uses the past perfect tense with 'would have' verb.

The underlined portion is a clause: That his claim is the subject and was confirmed is the verb. Hence, this means that two clauses are joined with just a comma. Hence, this option is incorrect.

Were is a plural verb which has no plural noun as referrant in this sentence. This usage is awkward and not GMAT-like.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2299 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
If his longevity claim would be confirmed Carmelo Flores Laura [#permalink]
My answer is (C). It took me 28 seconds.

This sentence uses the subjunctive mood. When the main clause uses "would have", the subordinate clause uses "had been". "If his longevity claim had been claimed" is the same as "Had his longevity claim been confirmed". (C) matches my expectation.

Update: I now realize that the main clause only uses "would" (Past future) instead of "would have" (Past future perfect). So the reasoning above does not apply.

Originally posted by zhanbo on 05 Apr 2020, 09:31.
Last edited by zhanbo on 08 Apr 2020, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
wow. Tuffie.! went with "C" got it wrong :(

below is my reasoning.

"Would have the longest" highlights what type of question it is.

This conditional clause is written as hypothetical construction. this is terrible, this should be written in past-perfect, as the non-underlined portion is written in "would have the longest verified ".

Should ? goodbye!

I thought this was past perfect usage of had, maybe not ? as there is no verb after "had". I thought this was right, kept it on hold and tried eliminating rest of the options.

Wrong.

Never came across a sentence that begins with a verb, so eliminated and I think my ear fooled me as well.

Thus went with C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
[textarea]

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

I chose wrong answer, i.e. C, but when I came back and check option E. It makes complete sense to me.
This is hypothetical subjunctive If x were happen y would .... or we can write in were x happen y would
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
Hello @GMATNinja@GMATNinjaTwo@EMPOWERgmatVerbal@mikemcgarry

Here are my analysis for this question . Experts can you please review my inputs to each answer choice and advise if I eliminated the wrong choices for right reasons or not

A) If his longevity claim would be confirmed – as a general rule would is used when an event occurred in past tense i.e to indicate future event from perspective of past. In this case , if caluse is stated in hypothetical context so subjunctive mood for If clause is preferred

B) Should his longevity's claim be confirmed – usage of should is not correct as “should” signals obligation.

C) Had his longevity claim been confirmed – Had here doesn’t indicate past perfect . “Had his longevity claim been confirmed” means that if his longevity claim was confirmed Doesn’t reflect subjunctive mood

D) That his claim to longevity was confirmed – This alters the intended meaning of original sentence. Per the meaning if X…then Y . As per this choice it means that ----the fact that the longevity was confirmed

E) Were his longevity claim confirmed – this is correct
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35482 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
Send PM
I too used the same logic to eliminate option E, there is no plural noun to which the plural verb "were" refers

Then why is the answer option E?
Can you please help?

SiffyB wrote:

In the If (clause), Then (clause) construction, if the then (clause) has would have verb, then the verb of the if (clause) must be past perfect tense. However, in this case, the verb is simple future tense. Thus, this choice is incorrect.

This sentence uses the possessive noun longevity's claim which literally translates to the claim belongs to longevity which does not make any sense. This is incorrect.

Correct option, since it uses the past perfect tense with 'would have' verb.

The underlined portion is a clause: That his claim is the subject and was confirmed is the verb. Hence, this means that two clauses are joined with just a comma. Hence, this option is incorrect.

Were is a plural verb which has no plural noun as referrant in this sentence. This usage is awkward and not GMAT-like.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts