GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Sep 2017, 00:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:26) correct 47% (01:40) wrong based on 1565 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

(A) is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,

(B) is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,

(C) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else

(D) reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or

(E) reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

Guys, I chose C, but I really don't understand why the OA is B. Whenever you have "and", you're connecting either 2 phrases or 2 clauses, which require a comma before "and."; However, since we don't have a comma before "and", we obviously don't want to connect 2 clauses, which means having both a subject and a verb, because that would create a run-on sentence. When you look at what B does:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,

The reason I liked option C is that "is" is removed, making the sentence after "and" a phrase and doesn't change the fact that "is" is implied:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap (is) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else

can someone explain why B is correct and how come we don't have a run-on sentence after "and" in option B??

Originally posted by tarek99 on 09 Aug 2008, 08:40.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 Sep 2017, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2010, 09:40
In B, Were it to do so is just a poetic way of expression. Otherwise it simply is the past subjunctive mood of the hypothetical and impossible phenomenon, which literally means - if it were to do so -. So B is passable.

But C has a problem of an independent clause starting with - or else - being conjugated by a simple comma.

The plausible choice must be B as others can not stand the llism test and are riddled with other errors too.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 16:16
Hello, everyone:

I'll take up the cause of "what does 'it' refer to in choice B" a little further. In B, not only does the pronoun "it" present a reference problem, but the phrase "were it to do so" also has no logical referent. Because we're already saying that "little polar ice melts", so "were it to do so" only confirms that, yes, it does melt...but we've already acknowledge that. Without a transition like "were MORE ice to melt", this phrase is illogical.

Interestingly, in Googling this question to see if I could find an official source for it, I've found an alternate version of choice B that begins:

were it NOT to do so

Even that seems dubious to me as that would also seem an illogical meaning (were little ice NOT to melt...), but the whole process makes me wonder a bit about the true wording of this question. B, as written, cannot be correct, but C doesn't look to be correct either (the "or else" is a bit of a run-on sentence). Does anyone have the original source on this one? Since there are a few versions of these answer choices out there, I wonder if the exact question is worded differently than we have it .

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Veritas Prep Reviews

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 04:09
A, D and E are wrong on the usage of the idiom ‘so x that’. The expression ‘the temperatures are ‘so cold’ and the ice cap is reflective/ reflective / reflects, ‘so that’ flouts the idiom norms.

B maintains the ‘so x that’ structure. In addition the subjunctive phrase ‘were it to do so’ indicates that the feared rise in the levels of ocean water is more a fancy than real.

C is also grammatically correct as far as the idiom is concerned, but logically it alters the meaning. The phrase ‘or else’ means ‘if not’ and the clause then means that if not the little polar ice melted, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet. The question is whether the water level would rise, if no ice or even very little ever melted.

I would also question the validity of using a comma to separate the ‘or else’ clause. I think it will be legitimate to use a semicolon rather.

B must be the choice. A tricky one indeed

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 12:28
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.
A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, The idiom is so (adj)..that
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else "or else" isn't appropriate
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or The idiom is so (adj)..that, "or" isn't appropriate
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did changes the meaning of the original sentence

In my opinion, the part after the semicolon needs to be a contrast. Were it to do so here seems to stand for little melting of the polar ice, that is currently happening.

Were it to do so is hypothetical subjunctive and should represent something that isn't happening or may happen. 'Do so' should be replaced with 'not to do so'. It would then mean that a lot of ice is melting. This is what would lead to increase in the water level.

That is why i believe A is a better choicechoice as the other options defy parallelism.

Please share your thoughts.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 21:36
I think the contrast is in - built in B; the use of the negative term ‘little’ is critical here. The choice means that very little or no ice melts in summer. If it were to melt, (to do so, means ‘to melt’ and not “not to melt”), then the water levels will rise.
Does it help?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 22:53
In B, the portion of the sentence after the semicolon, frankly makes it quite a tough choice. I don't recollect seeing a similar structure on an official question (is it really GMATPrep?)

rishabchoraria wrote:
That is why i believe A is a better choicechoice as the other options defy parallelism.

The meaning that A depicts is a bit strange because of the presence of so that, which basically means in order to (showing intent).

So, A would suggest that intentionally (by nature's design??) temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is reflective in order to limit the melting of polar ice during the summer.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 00:40
varadmaheshwari wrote:
A. is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,
B. is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so,
C. so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else
D. reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or
E. reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did

I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 14:05
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 10:34
ashikaverma13 wrote:
I think there is another version of this question with the option B saying 'were it not to do so' rather than 'were it to do so' is that the correct version? I am really trying to make B make sense in my head but somehow I am still at lost at how 'were it to do so' fits here. If anyone could help!

MadaraU wrote:
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on Earth, yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice cap is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

I rejected B because "were it to do so" sounds like an independent clause itself while after comma " water levels ..... would rise..." sounds like another independent clause, isn't this a run on sentence error. Can someone please shed some light on this matter ?

AbhinavBankhwal wrote:
Going by the definition, a sentence after semi colon should be an independent clause. However in option B, I do not see the same happening. Part after the semi colon does not look like an independent clause. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi ashikaverma13 / MadaraU / AbhinavBankhwal ,

Let me help you guys. :)

I know this question is a bit weird but this is how it is.

"Were it to do so, the water levels would rise... " construction is very similar to If I were to change my childhood, I would have not become an Indian IT Male. :P

Do you see what I am trying to convey?

This construction shows hypothetical case and has been used correctly in option B.

Let me know in case of any concern. I am happy to help. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 22:23

(A) is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise, so is req before reflective to maintain //

(B) is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, Correct

(C) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else are so cold// ___ so reflective 'is' missing

(D) reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or so is req before reflective to maintain //

(E) reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did so is req before reflective to maintain //

Kudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 11:02
chetan2u carcass

I did get the answer correct, OA seems a little ambiguous to me as in option B were it to do so is something which is a little vague to me.

Can you please help me understand how the ; is rightly used and were it to so is not out of the box?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 12:15
siddyj94 wrote:
chetan2u carcass

I did get the answer correct, OA seems a little ambiguous to me as in option B were it to do so is something which is a little vague to me.

Can you please help me understand how the ; is rightly used and were it to so is not out of the box?

hi..

It is perfectly fine....
IT refers to ICE and DO SO refers to melting...

were it to do so WOULD MEAN If it were to happen....

that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so...
if little of the polar ice were to melt during the summer, the water levels of the oceans would rise 250 feet and engulf most of the world’s great cities.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 09:58
chetan2u, abhimahna still didn't understand why is C incorrect
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 10:59
prateek176 wrote:
chetan2u, abhimahna still didn't understand why is C incorrect

Hey prateek176 ,

C has the problem of parallelism. Remember a conjunction should always have X and Y parallel.

Consider the example:

My sister is so intelligent and my brother so stupid.

Do you see the difference?

1. My sister is so intelligent - Clause

AND - Conjunction(It MUST make X and Y parallel).

2. My brother so stupid. --> Not a Clause.

On a similar lines:

the temperatures are so cold

and

the ice cap so reflective.

It should be the ice cap is so reflective.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 15:08
Hi tarek99,

Thank you for your question.

While you are technically correct about it being a run-on sentence, this is one of the few times when breaking the rule is actually best. Let's look at the part you're struggling with in answer B, and why it's okay to break the rule in this instance:

yet the temperatures are so cold and the ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer

The phrases "the temperatures are so cold" and "the ice is so reflective" BOTH apply to the rest of the phrase "that little of the polar ice melts during the summer. What the writer did here is condense two sentences into one:

Sentence 1: The temperatures are so cold that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.
Sentence 2: The ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.

Combined: The temperatures are so cold and the ice is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer.

By combining both sentences, it saves us from reading the same phrase twice and makes the sentence easier to digest.

Remember that English is a 90/10 language: 90% of the time, the rule is the rule - but 10% of the time it's not. :-)

I hope this helps clear things up!

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 13:53
Just a quick check.

How are we connecting the two independent clauses? temperatures are low & ice caps melt...

Is YET in the second independent clause enough as a common co ordinating conjuncting for all three?

Ravi.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 01:54
I could not understand why we are using a semicolon and after that 'were it to do so' in the next part of the sentence?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 05:23

(A) is reflective, so that little polar ice melts during the summer; otherwise,

(B) is so reflective that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; were it to do so, --> correct: "so ... that" construction & correct parallelism - "the temperatures are so cold" & "the ice cap is so reflective"

(C) so reflective that little polar ice melts during the summer, or else --> verb missing after "the ice cap"

(D) reflective, so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer, or

(E) reflects so that little of the polar ice melts during the summer; if it did
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 02:54
I am sorry, I do not know why choice C is wrong
I think
"and so reflective that " is good because we can omit "was"
I think
"or else" is good

pls, help
thank you very much
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jul 2018, 02:54

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Antarctica receives more solar radiation than does any other place on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap