GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Nov 2011, 22:59
4
Can someone please explain this:

If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that the square of n is less than 1/100, then the reciprocal of n must be

A. less than -10
B. between -1 and -1/10
C. between -1/10 and 0
D. between 0 and -1/10
E. greater than 10


n^2 < 1/100
-1/10 < n < 1/10
n is negative so forget right side of equation
multiply both sides by 1/n
1/n * -1/10 < n * 1/n
flip signs as n is negative
1/10n > 1
note 1/n * -1/10 = +1/10n
now multiply both sides by 10

10 * 1/10n < 1 * 10
Don't flip signs
1/n < 10

Answer is A! Please explain your answers.

Originally posted by study on 25 Nov 2011, 02:02.
Last edited by study on 25 Nov 2011, 22:59, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1827
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2011, 05:41
study wrote:

n^2 < 1/100
-1/10 < n < 1/10
n is negative so forget right side of equation
multiply both sides by 1/n
1/n * -1/10 < n * 1/n
-1/10n < 1
now multiply both sides by -10
-10 * -1/10n < 1 * -10
Flip signs
1/n > -10

Answer E!


First, that is not what E says (E says that 1/n is greater than positive 10, not negative 10), so that might have suggested that your answer wasn't quite right. I've highlighted your mistake in red. When you multiply on both sides of the inequality by 1/n, you must reverse the inequality, because 1/n is negative.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2011, 14:51
Thanks, Ian. I edited the post. That was a typo. Would you please look at the post now and correct my mistake. Thanks.
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1827
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2011, 07:14
study wrote:
Thanks, Ian. I edited the post. That was a typo. Would you please look at the post now and correct my mistake. Thanks.


In your edited post, the negative sign vanished - it still needs to be there. You have:

-1/10 < n

Now if we multiply by 1/n on both sides, we must reverse the inequality, since 1/n is negative:

-1/10n > 1

Now we can multiply by 10 on both sides:

-1/n > 10

Now we can multiply by -1 on both sides, reversing the inequality since we are multiplying by a negative:

1/n < -10

Note that you can also do this problem very quickly by finding any suitable number for n (say -1/100) and working out the reciprocal of n.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1827
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2011, 18:22
study wrote:

Yes, the negative sign vanished, cuz negative * negative = positive. So a negative 1/n * negative 1/10 = + 1/10n
And that is exactly the part I don't understand. Why would you retain a negative after multiplying a negative number by another negative number? Would you please explain
To illustrate
-2 * -5 = 10. Not -10
so why would -1/n * -1/10 = -1/10n?



If you multiply, say, -1 by x, the result is -x. It makes no difference if x is positive or negative. If x is negative, then -x is a *positive* number, even if it might look negative because of the negative sign in front. There is a second negative sign 'hidden' inside of 'x'.

That's the issue with the step you took in your edited post. When you multiply 1/n by -1/10, the result is *always* equal to -1/10n. It makes no difference at all if n is positive or negative. If n is negative, then -1/10n is a positive number, because you have two negatives in the fraction, one in the numerator and one in the denominator (since n is negative).

I'd strongly suggest you review this part of algebra, because it's fundamental in many GMAT questions.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 05:14
can you explain why are you flipping sign?

n> - 1/10.

why 1/n<-10 ?

if n=4 for example 4>-1/10 and 1/4>-10. why to flip sign?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59182
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2012, 06:23
akakhidze wrote:
can you explain why are you flipping sign?

n> - 1/10.

why 1/n<-10 ?

if n=4 for example 4>-1/10 and 1/4>-10. why to flip sign?


Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is an answer to your question.

Since n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number then n is negative, so it can not be 4 as you assumed.

Next, when you multiply (or divide) an inequality by a negative number you must flip the sign of the inequality.

So, for \(n>-\frac{1}{10}\) --> multiply by negative -10 and flip the sign: \(-10n<1\) --> divide by negative \(n\) and flip the sign again: \(-10>\frac{1}{n}\).

For a complete solution refer to the posts above, for example: if-n-denotes-a-number-to-the-left-of-0-on-the-number-line-91659.html#p667838

Hope it helps.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 88
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 07:20
Hi Bunuel
Can it be right if go like the following way?

given (-n)^2<1/100
=>n^2<1/00
=>n<1/10

Now Q ask us to find reciprocal of n
So take the reciprocal on both side simply we get
1/n<10 Ans
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 02:03
prasannajeet wrote:
Hi Bunuel
Can it be right if go like the following way?

given (-n)^2<1/100
=>n^2<1/00
=>n<1/10

Now Q ask us to find reciprocal of n
So take the reciprocal on both side simply we get
1/n<10 Ans


No.
Given: n < 0
\(n^2 < (1/100)\)
Note that you will not use -n because n is negative. n already includes the negative sign.
When you take square root, you get |n| < 1/10 (and not n < 1/10). This means -1/10 < n < 1/10. But since n < 0, -1/10 < n < 0.

We need to find the value of reciprocal i.e. 1/n.

n > -1/10
1/n < -10 Note that in an inequality, if both sides of the inequality have the same sign (positive or negative), the sign of inequality (<, >) flips when you take the reciprocal. Here both sides are negative so sign flips.
(Or do what Bunuel did: multiply by -10/n.)
So reciprocal is less than -10.

Instead, I would do this question by thinking of some numbers and figuring out the logic - discussed here: if-n-denotes-a-number-to-the-left-of-0-on-the-number-line-91659.html#p811517
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2812
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 17:46
topmbaseeker wrote:
If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that the square of n is less than 1/100, then the reciprocal of n must be

A. Less than -10
B. Between -1 and -1/10
C. Between -1/10 and 0
D. Between 0 and 1/10
E. Greater than 10


We are given that n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that the square of n is less than 1/100. This means n is negative, and it is between 0 and -1/10 since (-1/10)^2 = 1/100. Thus, n could be equal to values such as -1/11, -1/12, -1/13, etc. Notice that when we square these values, they are all less than 1/100.

Let’s take the reciprocal of any of these values listed. The reciprocal of -1/11 is -11. Similarly, the reciprocal of -1/12 is -12 and the reciprocal of -1/13 is -13. Since these reciprocals are all less than -10, answer choice A is correct.

Answer: A
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Posts: 25
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 15:05
A video explanation can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5iq9xcsws

First note that if n^2 < 1/100, the range of values of n would be

-1/10 < n < 1/10

But that range is further restricted – since we’re told n is to the left of 0, then

-1/10 < n < 0

(Note that C is a trap answer)

Thinking about reciprocals, we move from negative fractions to negative whole numbers. (The correct answer may become easier to visualize if you draw out the number line.)

Answer A
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 08:04
1
Gladiator59 chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Hello could you provide your assistance regarding my question? It has to do with inequalities.

lets say we have -1<10n (n<0) when we divide by n I know that it should be like this -1/n>10 and then 1/n < -10
But what I want to ask is when we divide by n, which we know is a negative number, why can't we proceed like this, -1<10n (n<0) 1/n>10 since -1/(a negative number) = positive number
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 04:18
1
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Gladiator59 chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Hello could you provide your assistance regarding my question? It has to do with inequalities.

lets say we have -1<10n (n<0) when we divide by n I know that it should be like this -1/n>10 and then 1/n < -10
But what I want to ask is when we divide by n, which we know is a negative number, why can't we proceed like this, -1<10n (n<0) 1/n>10 since -1/(a negative number) = positive number


If we know -1 < 10n
(n is a negative number so the right hand side is negative too. n could take values such as -1/20, -1/50 etc)

To process it easily, we can just divide both sides by 10 (n gets separated out)
-1/10 < n
Since n < 0, we get -1/10 < n < 0

If instead, we divide both sides by n, we get
-1/n > 10
How did you get 1/n > 10?
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 06:44
VeritasKarishma wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Gladiator59 chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Hello could you provide your assistance regarding my question? It has to do with inequalities.

lets say we have -1<10n (n<0) when we divide by n I know that it should be like this -1/n>10 and then 1/n < -10
But what I want to ask is when we divide by n, which we know is a negative number, why can't we proceed like this, -1<10n (n<0) 1/n>10 since -1/(a negative number) = positive number


If we know -1 < 10n
(n is a negative number so the right hand side is negative too. n could take values such as -1/20, -1/50 etc)

To process it easily, we can just divide both sides by 10 (n gets separated out)
-1/10 < n
Since n < 0, we get -1/10 < n < 0

If instead, we divide both sides by n, we get
-1/n > 10
How did you get 1/n > 10?


Well, to be frank with you I was really confused between handling inequalities when there is a variable and when we have a specific number what I did was to consider n<0 but then imagined in my head that n is eg.-2 so i both changed the sign of inequality and the sign of the fraction to positive, which is wrong so instead of just dividing -1<10n by n(n<0) and getting -1/n>10 I would divide by n and simultaneously think that n is a number like eg.-2 so I would also change the sign of -1/n to 1/n which is wrong . thank you VeritasKarishma for your reply.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 23:06
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Gladiator59 chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Hello could you provide your assistance regarding my question? It has to do with inequalities.

lets say we have -1<10n (n<0) when we divide by n I know that it should be like this -1/n>10 and then 1/n < -10
But what I want to ask is when we divide by n, which we know is a negative number, why can't we proceed like this, -1<10n (n<0) 1/n>10 since -1/(a negative number) = positive number


If we know -1 < 10n
(n is a negative number so the right hand side is negative too. n could take values such as -1/20, -1/50 etc)

To process it easily, we can just divide both sides by 10 (n gets separated out)
-1/10 < n
Since n < 0, we get -1/10 < n < 0

If instead, we divide both sides by n, we get
-1/n > 10
How did you get 1/n > 10?


Well, to be frank with you I was really confused between handling inequalities when there is a variable and when we have a specific number what I did was to consider n<0 but then imagined in my head that n is eg.-2 so i both changed the sign of inequality and the sign of the fraction to positive, which is wrong so instead of just dividing -1<10n by n(n<0) and getting -1/n>10 I would divide by n and simultaneously think that n is a number like eg.-2 so I would also change the sign of -1/n to 1/n which is wrong . thank you VeritasKarishma for your reply.


Yes, you don't have to change the sign of the fraction. Note that -1/n is a positive number because n is negative. When you make it 1/n, you are making it negative again.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13612
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 06:04
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2019, 06:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

If n denotes a number to the left of 0 on the number line such that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne