GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 18:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:43) correct 61% (01:53) wrong based on 246 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years ago, they would have had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been impossible and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to account for the presence of artifacts indicating that the Americas were inhabited over 15,000 years ago.

A. would have had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been impossible and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to

B. would have to traverse thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue against this impossible journey and thus claim that the first people came to America much later have to

C. had to traverse thousands of miles of ice fields, but those who argue that this was an impossible journey and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to

D. had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, but those who argue that this would have been an impossible journey, the first peoples thus coming to America much later, must

E. would have had to have had traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been an impossibility and thus the first people had come to America much later, have had to

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 18:57
+1 for E

This is a nightmare question to me as I struggle with verb tense.

My reasoning:
As we are predicting something which happened in the past we need 'would' here.
Between A and E
In E, the second clause 'people had come' is correct as that happened in the past. Hence, E

Please help me understand how to tackle this one sudarshan22 workout

Posted from my mobile device

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 22:27
Akash720 wrote:
+1 for E

This is a nightmare question to me as I struggle with verb tense.

My reasoning:
As we are predicting something which happened in the past we need 'would' here.
Between A and E
In E, the second clause 'people had come' is correct as that happened in the past. Hence, E

Please help me understand how to tackle this one sudarshan22 workout

Posted from my mobile device

Akash720

I agree with your reasoning to eliminate options B, C and D. However, I eliminate option E for the usage of two "had" to represent the same event.

"would have had to have had traversed thousands of miles of ice fields"

I will chose option A.

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member
If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 04:26
Some theory first:

If then conditional and verb tenses:

would is necessary since we are talking about a hypothetical case in the simple past tense. We're talking about an unlikely event.
Refer to image from e-GMAT below:

Eliminate C and D.

If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years ago, they would have had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been impossible and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to account for the presence of artifacts indicating that the Americas were inhabited over 15,000 years ago.

A. would have had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been impossible and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to
^Nice and parallel

B. would have to traverse thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue against this impossible journey and thus claim that the first people came to America much later have to
would have to implies --> in future people will do this. eliminate.

C. had to traverse thousands of miles of ice fields, but those who argue that this was an impossible journey and thus that the first peopling of the Americas happened much later have had to

D. had to have traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, but those who argue that this would have been an impossible journey, the first peoples thus coming to America much later, must

E. would have had to have had traversed thousands of miles of ice fields, yet those who argue that such a journey would have been an impossibility and thus the first people had come to America much later, have had to
argue that ... thus the first is not parallel (unlike choice A)
would have had to have had is just too awkward and wordy
eliminate.

Left with A.
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 21:16

Official Explanation

A question about the first peoples in the Americas.

Split #1: verb tense, beginning of underlining

The sentence begins with a past hypothetical possibility, and then, the verb at the beginning of the underlining has to be a verb that is similarly hypothetical but happened earlier than the action of the “if” clause.

Choice (A): “they would have had to have traversed” = hypothetical & earlier

Choice (B): “they would have to traverse”= hypothetical, but present/future = incorrect

Choice (C): “they had to traverse” = factual and simple past = incorrect

Choice (D): “they had to have traversed” = factual past perfect = incorrect

Choice (E): “they would have had to have had traversed” = iffy: the past perfect infinitive is extremely rare and unneeded after the main verb = incorrect.

Split #2: verb tense, end of underlining

Here, the difference is whether the obligation to account for something is itself in the present or the past. Context does not make clear which, so either is fine. All five choices are correct here.

Split #3: verb tense, part three

Choice (E) has an odd tense pairing: the journey “would have been” (hypothetical past) impossible, and thus first people “had come” (past perfect) much later (??). If that later action is “much later,” why is it in the past perfect, which emphasizes that it was earlier. This is a tense mismatch. Choice (E) is incorrect.

Split #4: pronoun

The beginning of the underlining talking about the people journeying across all the ice, an action given by a verb. We cannot use a pronoun to refer to the action of a verb. We have to refer to this by saying something such as “such a journey,” as in (A) & (E). Choices (C) & (D) use the pronoun “this” to refer to the action of the previous clause: a clear pronoun mistake. Choices (C) & (D) are incorrect.

Split #5: logic

In choice (B), the phrasing “those who argue against this impossible journey” is quite odd. It’s one thing to argue that the journey was impossible—such seems the opinion of some scholars. But the phrasing here seems to assume that we already know that the journey is impossible, and the opinion expressed is that one shouldn’t try this thing known to be impossible—really great advice here: don’t do anything impossible! Furthermore, the sentence here shouldn’t simply assume that the journey is impossible, since the first part of the sentence discusses the possibility of this journey. There are layers of logical problems here. Choice (B) is incorrect.

The only possible choice is (A).

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 05:46
Top Contributor

In the event of getting such an unnerving maze of verb tensing and if you think it is too much to bear on the D - day within those seconds that are available to you, the most important thing is not to panic but try this quick fix.

The non-underlined part mentions as 'the first peoples' and this should be followed steadfastly in the choices. Eliminate B and E for using 'the first people" We are now sufficiently aware that the demonstrative 'this' cannot stand alone in formal writing. Dump C and D. A only remains and is the correct one.

The other alternative is to undergo the rigmarole of verifying the correctness of the verb tense forms in the 'conditionals,' or why B is still wrong in the given context in spite of using the subjunctive "would" and so on.

Disclaimer; This quick fix is only the proverbial last straw and an intuitive process rather than rational decision making.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 11:41
How i approach this question in 1 min 34 secs
If (conditional) arrived (past tense) then it means "then" clause must include conditional "would" + have had
So i ruled out B, C and D
E is wrong because it uses "would have had to have had" and "an impossibility"
Moreover "such a journey" is necessary because it refer back to "thousand of miles of ice fields"
A is the right option

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 11:41

If the first peoples in the Americas arrived more than 15,000 years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap