GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52231
If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 02:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:40) correct 62% (01:34) wrong based on 140 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 623
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 02:35
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



What is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication


(1) x can take 0 or 1 or -1
in all the cases the distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2
not sufficient

(2) if x = 0 then ? represents any one of the operations
if x=-1 then ? represents addition
if x=1 then ? represent subtraction
not sufficient

on combining also not sufficient
E
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 138
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 02:50
1
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication



Stmnt 1) x = 1 or -1 . Insuff
Stmnt 2) if addition, x=-1
if subtraction x=1
Hence E
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 102
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:53
1
For the first statement,
distance between x and -x is same as x^2 and -x^2
let say x=1, -1, distance is 2
and 1^2 and -1^2, distance is 2
(GMAT number property, -x^2= -1(x)^2 so -1^2= -1)
insuff.

For the second statement, x? |x| = 0, ? represent + / - / x < does that mean only represent one of them, or all three?
then x must be -ve? x-x= 0
I actually don't really understand the second statement.
someone please explain, thank you
Current Student
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 623
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:56
pclawong wrote:
For the first statement,
distance between x and -x is same as x^2 and -x^2
let say x=1, -1, distance is 2
and 1^2 and -1^2, distance is 2
(GMAT number property, -x^2= -1(x)^2 so -1^2= -1)
insuff.

For the second statement, x? |x| = 0, ? represent + / - / x < does that mean only represent one of them, or all three?
then x must be -ve? x-x= 0
I actually don't really understand the second statement.
someone please explain, thank you


x? |x| = 0
? can represent any of the three (+, -, *) basis the value of x
if u consider x as 1 then ? is -
if u consider x as -1 then ? is +
if u consider x as 0 then ? can take any of -,+,*
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 102
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 02:03
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
pclawong wrote:
For the first statement,
distance between x and -x is same as x^2 and -x^2
let say x=1, -1, distance is 2
and 1^2 and -1^2, distance is 2
(GMAT number property, -x^2= -1(x)^2 so -1^2= -1)
insuff.

For the second statement, x? |x| = 0, ? represent + / - / x < does that mean only represent one of them, or all three?
then x must be -ve? x-x= 0
I actually don't really understand the second statement.
someone please explain, thank you


x? |x| = 0
? can represent any of the three (+, -, *) basis the value of x
if u consider x as 1 then ? is -
if u consider x as -1 then ? is +
if u consider x as 0 then ? can take any of -,+,*


so, again, x can be 1 or x can be -1?
insuff.. ?
Current Student
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 623
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 02:08
pclawong wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
pclawong wrote:
For the first statement,
distance between x and -x is same as x^2 and -x^2
let say x=1, -1, distance is 2
and 1^2 and -1^2, distance is 2
(GMAT number property, -x^2= -1(x)^2 so -1^2= -1)
insuff.

For the second statement, x? |x| = 0, ? represent + / - / x < does that mean only represent one of them, or all three?
then x must be -ve? x-x= 0
I actually don't really understand the second statement.
someone please explain, thank you


x? |x| = 0
? can represent any of the three (+, -, *) basis the value of x
if u consider x as 1 then ? is -
if u consider x as -1 then ? is +
if u consider x as 0 then ? can take any of -,+,*


so, again, x can be 1 or x can be -1?
insuff.. ?

Correct and hence E
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52231
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 03:12
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication


Par of GMAT CLUB'S New Year's Quantitative Challenge Set


_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Posts: 75
Location: India
GPA: 3.27
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 22:31
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication



Statement 1) x can be 1 or -1. Since, the for x=1, and x=-1, the distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2. Insufficient.

Statement 2) For addition, x+|X|=0, x=-1 or 0 but x ≠ 0, so x=-1, For subtraction, x-|x|=0, x=1. For multiplication, x*|x|=0, x= 0. SO, x can be 1 or -1. Insufficient.

(1)+(2),

x can be 1 or -1. Insufficient.

Option E is the correct answer.
_________________

Kudos encourage discussions. Share it to amplify collective education!

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 696
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 22:55
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication



Given, x ≠ 0
DS Question : what is the value of x?

Statement (1): Since distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2. Means x and x^2 must have same mod value.
This is possible only if x =1,-1,0. Since , x ≠ 0
So, x= 1,-1
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement (2): x ? |x| = 0, where ? can be +, -, *
If ? = +
x+|x| = 0
x= -|x|
So, x<0


If ? = -
x-|x| = 0
x= |x|
So, x>0

If ? = *
x*|x| = 0
So, x=0
Since it is given that x ≠ 0.
So ?=* is not possible.

So overall either x<0 or x>0.
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combined statement :
x= -1,1
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer E
_________________

CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 23
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
CAT Tests
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 06:54
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Fresh GMAT Club Tests' Challenge Question:



What is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2

(2) x ? |x| = 0, where ? represents one of the three operations addition, subtraction, or multiplication


(1) x can take 0 or 1 or -1
in all the cases the distance between x and -x on the number line is equal to the distance between x^2 and -x^2
not sufficient

(2) if x = 0 then ? represents any one of the operations
if x=-1 then ? represents addition
if x=1 then ? represent subtraction
not sufficient

on combining also not sufficient
E


x cannot be equal to 0. It is mentioned in the question stem.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x? &nbs [#permalink] 28 Dec 2018, 06:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x ≠ 0, what is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.