It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of Kellogg Video Essays

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Importance of Kellogg Video Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 19:55
So I just submitted my video essays for R2 and I think I may have bombed them. I spoke way too fast throughout, and got cutoff on #3 and possibly #2. My response to #2 was prepared so I think that went fine, but the examples I used for #1 and #3 were not great, and I spent too much time explaining the situation around them rather than directly responding to the questions. Therefore I didn't leave enough time to talk about my thoughts, feelings, and lessons learned (the mushy stuff Kellogg loves). It was a missed opportunity to show some personality and really help my case.

My question is - how bad can video essays hurt you for Kellogg? Can a poor response make or break your entire application? Is there anyone out there who can share a similar experience of botching the video essays and still getting admitted?

Looking for some words of encouragement, or some brutal honesty! Both are welcome... :-D

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V46
GRE 1: 332 Q162 V170
GPA: 3.8
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Importance of Kellogg Video Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 20:11
I've seen people who thought they bombed their interviews get accepted to MBA programs. I've also seen folks who thought they aced everything get rejected.

Who knows? Admissions are holistic, and probably depend as much on the mood of the readers as anything.

<---I only took the GRE. The GMAT score displayed is what the conversion calculator produces.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.77
Importance of Kellogg Video Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 22:06
mbaboop wrote:
So I just submitted my video essays for R2 and I think I may have bombed them. I spoke way too fast throughout, and got cutoff on #3 and possibly #2. My response to #2 was prepared so I think that went fine, but the examples I used for #1 and #3 were not great, and I spent too much time explaining the situation around them rather than directly responding to the questions. Therefore I didn't leave enough time to talk about my thoughts, feelings, and lessons learned (the mushy stuff Kellogg loves). It was a missed opportunity to show some personality and really help my case.

My question is - how bad can video essays hurt you for Kellogg? Can a poor response make or break your entire application? Is there anyone out there who can share a similar experience of botching the video essays and still getting admitted?

Looking for some words of encouragement, or some brutal honesty! Both are welcome... :-D

I wouldn't worry too much. I described myself as "brash" in video 1 not realizing until afterwards that the word has a negative connotation. I also ran out of time on video #3. I had 5 seconds left after setting up the context and concluded with "and the project was a great success." So yeah... that was pretty miserable, but hey -- I got in with $$$!

My feeling is that the video essay is really about measuring your basic English proficiency (if you're an intl applicant), presence on camera, and likability, so don't worry too much about the content of your answers as long as you don't say something truly ridiculous.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 00:59
I don't think I did very well during the video interview. I did an on campus interview and ultimately got it. Happy to answer any questions you have via DM. Don't stress about video interview everyone gets an interview just focus on crushing that. I can share my experience if you like.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 06:07
I likewise think that I did poorly on the video essays. My "ice breaker" asked me about my greatest weakness, which totally caught me off guard. I also ran out of time on the third question and don't think my response was coherent in the first place. When I mentioned this experience to a current student he said that the prevailing view of his group of friends was that they were admitted despite their awkward video responses...Good Luck!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 12:21
The videos are an important part of the application but they are just one part. Since you can show them how you interact through an interview, this can offset some potential negative performance in a video. I had a client last round who thought he bombed one of the questions and he ended up getting in and getting $90K of fellowship support. So you never know!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 12:19
mph07001 wrote:
I don't think I did very well during the video interview. I did an on campus interview and ultimately got it. Happy to answer any questions you have via DM. Don't stress about video interview everyone gets an interview just focus on crushing that. I can share my experience if you like.
I would agree that you can't change the past so don't worry about it- and that the interview is more important than the video interview. Hope it all goes well for you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 19:51
Great advice above! Of course it is better to have felt you performed well on the video interview than not but ultimately the process is holistic and there are many other components of the application fortunately so if you are a strong candidate in the other areas you should be fine. Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Re: Importance of Kellogg Video Essays   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2017, 19:51